Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SoundPerformance Quick Spool Valve???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Voc7...eature=related

I was digging up some dinosaurs and found this.

Skip 1:50 if you just want the results.

I've also been looking at their boost activated cutouts to tame down my exhaust.

Ben
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So something like this would help out more for larger turbos correct? Since halving the a/r on a smaller turbo essentially changes velocity less than halving a much larger turbo such as a 35R or beyond.

Is it worth trying on my stock IX turbo? I'm shooting for a 400awhp stock turbo/motor/trans/t-case daily driver that has good spool. I see myself eventually getting around to a FP Red in a year or two after I build the trans and motor.

I love these little "tricks" here and there that really make tinkering with these cars fun.

Since we're discussing spool, has anyone played around with the variable geometry turbos similar to the 911TT or various truck turbos? I know they are not a feasible cheap item but I'm just interested in the concept. I've also heard about electric assisted turbos that basically connect the shaft to a high rpm motor..... I find it all very interesting. Wish I had a bunch of parts laying around and a shop
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:26 AM

This spool valve will not work with Mitsu flanges but will work with any T3/T4/T6 style exhaust flange, as long as it's divided and being used on an UNdivided exhaust manifold. They did all the initial testing on my Gt4582R Supra and it showed 500rpms quicker spool with not much tinkering with the tuning.

I will definitely be using one of these on my Evo build when I start the process. There is absolutely no reason why anyone with a bigger turbo wouldn't want this imo it gives you the best of both worlds and I'm very surprised more shops haven't picked this up for their cars!

Last edited by PineappleMonkey; Jan 14, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:14 AM

so whats the whole idea on how these work?
I looked at these for a while too and I dont understand how less flow is better
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:00 PM

When you are building boost it's as if you put your finger over the end of a hose with it running water. I guess that's the only way I can explain it. Once you hit the psi on the wastegate or what you set it at, the flap opens up completely and there is no "restriction" at that point onwards. Another shop made about 1,xxx+whp while using and proving this valve on a 2JZ platform, this will be just fine for my 700whp goals.

Who wouldn't want 500rpms or more quicker spool, it sounds like snake oil but the fact is that it works and I can't wait to put one on my car once I start my build.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:19 AM

Bumping this thread from a few years ago. Has anyone tried this yet on an Evo platform? It is VERY proven in the Supra community and I am wondering how much it can help us. Im thinking 2.3l 6466 and a QSV would be the hot ticket. Fp 3794r power with hta86 or better spool.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:57 PM

Bump. Digging this up because I wanna know. Maybe this has been answered elsewhere and I'm blind. Is a qsv better than a ts manifold? Am I the only one dreaming about a super99 daily driver? Lol
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:07 PM

Boostin performance had a customer running one. I'm sure most people on here are familiar with the car, I believe his username is angryevo8. His car ran some awesome times and seemed to do great on that setup. I have a super94 on the way that will be going on a forward facing sharkfab manifold with the sound performance qsv. I'm confident it will be a strong combo. With the increased response from the qsv it should spool pretty good for the top end potential of that turbo. Or at least I'm hoping so!!!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:13 PM

Awesome!! EVOIX850r best luck with your build! Do you have a build thread for it? Keep me posted, maybe I will go the same route as you
Old Sep 5, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I still have the QSV on my car its ideal for streetcars with bigger turbos to help increase spool. After setting up the qsv we were able to get the car to spool 400rpm sooner on the 6466. Do you need it for a drag car? No, but the response does feel nice on the street especially when the valve opens.