Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil cooler elimination

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler elimination

Im eliminating the oil cooler for a week or 2 untill I can get my other oil cooler. How would I go about this, Can I just block the two holes or do I have to have them connected? If anyone has pics, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skatermsmn
Im eliminating the oil cooler for a week or 2 untill I can get my other oil cooler. How would I go about this, Can I just block the two holes or do I have to have them connected? If anyone has pics, that would be greatly appreciated.
I would just block it. There is a thermostat for the oil cooler so It wouldn't flow till engine gets warmed up.

However, you shouldn't drive too long without the oil cooler. your engine will overheat.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
I would just block it. There is a thermostat for the oil cooler so It wouldn't flow till engine gets warmed up.

However, you shouldn't drive too long without the oil cooler. your engine will overheat.
I have heard of people driving there car daily removing there oil cooler. I live in MN and its pretty cold, I only plan on running this till I can get a cooler. This is my only car.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

pics would help the most
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loop the inlet & outlet, don't block them.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taenaive
not true
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
not true
+1

Coolant keeps your engine cool, not oil.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah just plug it up. either way when you start your engine gain, it would be safe to prime it first by disconnection the crank angle sensor. crank couple of times and check your oil level before plug that sensor back in and crank it on for good.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
yeah just plug it up. either way when you start your engine gain, it would be safe to prime it first by disconnection the crank angle sensor. crank couple of times and check your oil level before plug that sensor back in and crank it on for good.
So I can just plug em both. I dont need to run a tube in between the two?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by skatermsmn
So I can just plug em both. I dont need to run a tube in between the two?
LOOP THEM.

Plugging will cause excess oil pressure. If you're not driving/starting the engine plug them but if you're driving loop them.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
+1

Coolant keeps your engine cool, not oil.
+2, unless you're really pushing your car to the limit you won't need it, so your 2 week oil cooler hiatus should be fine. Just try to find the correct fittings to close it off, I'm not sure the thread size but it should be along the lines of m14 X 1.25 or M16 x 1.25, best if you could take it with you to a parts store.

OT, but dsms run oil-cooler-less and have way more air restriction (the evo has a huge openings in the bumper whilst the dsms have smaller ones) than the evo and still run moderately cool.

Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
+2, unless you're really pushing your car to the limit you won't need it, so your 2 week oil cooler hiatus should be fine. Just try to find the correct fittings to close it off, I'm not sure the thread size but it should be along the lines of m14 X 1.25 or M16 x 1.25, best if you could take it with you to a parts store.

OT, but dsms run oil-cooler-less and have way more air restriction (the evo has a huge openings in the bumper whilst the dsms have smaller ones) than the evo and still run moderately cool.

The DSM's actually run a water cooled oil filter housing so it's not completely oil coolerless
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
The DSM's actually run a water cooled oil filter housing so it's not completely oil coolerless
yeah thats what I mean my bad, only one model year dsm ran a oil cooled oil filter housing and that was the 1990, alot of dsmers actualy use the external oil filter housing from that model year and either get aftermarket or stock oil cooler to help cope with the factory restricted bumper, or hack it out lawl.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
hlm
Evolving Member

i woudl just wait until u get ur new oil cooler that way u dont have to worrie about it.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just plug them. You wont have any problems doing this. All the drag racers do it and it will NOT overheat unless maybe you are road racing. It also will NOT change your oil pressure so dont worry about that either. You are more then welcome to talk to Buschur he will tell you the same.

Chris

Quick Reply: oil cooler elimination