Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Idea/Question - Noob Content

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Idea/Question - Noob Content

Hey,

So I'm sort of a lurker, so this is my first real post . I'm not going to do an introduction right now, but maybe sometime later...

Anyhow, I'm currently running an unresonated and uncatted 3" TBE on my car. Well, I'm having some issues with the noise level, so I was thinking of adding a resonator to the setup. Then I started to think about the stock exhaust... IIRC the stock exhaust is about 2.75", correct? Couldn't I take my stock exhaust (mind you I already have a custom 3" o2 housing so most of the DP end constriction should be removed), put a testpipe in, keep the stock resonator, and put an aftermarket (magnaflow or whatever) muffler on the back end (get rid of that stupid bend and side entrance into the stock muffler)?

I guess the reason this came about is that I need to tone down the exhaust a little bit and adding a 3" resonator is going to be at least probably $100 (lower end). Or I could take that 3" TBE off the car and sell it (should bring probably $750) and then spend $100 for an aftermarket muffler and make a test pipe section and put the stock exhaust back on. Netting +$650 or so and probably a more controlled noise level. And put that money towards a Buschwhacker/Shep Trans and new twin/triple disk .

FWIW, the car doesn't have a stock turbo, but rather a built engine with a Bullseye Performance setup. The turbo has a 44mm WGA that is dumped anyhow. I'm not entirely familiar with how 2.75" piping will deal with a set up that is capable of ~6xx awhp on race gas - though the wastegate is dumped. Car revs to 9k pretty regularly, but is built to rev higher.

Any input would be appreciated . No flaming though please, I've had 2 different exhaust systems now and while the second is more reasonable it's still causing issues and I'm trying to find economically feasible solutions. While I'm sure a 3" TBE will outflow a 2.75", I'm wondering what I will sacrifice if I decided to go that route - and I'm especially looking for real world explanations/experiences.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

I would keep the 3" TBE but put your cat back on and a resonator, you should still have the flow you need and tone it down a little, whats wrong with the exhaust noise, is it that loud? I would not put the stock system back on
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by v-manracing
I would keep the 3" TBE but put your cat back on and a resonator, you should still have the flow you need and tone it down a little, whats wrong with the exhaust noise, is it that loud? I would not put the stock system back on
That's more or less the gist. It's not an issue if I'm @ WOT (obviously b/c of the dump ), but it's an issue around town; through neighborhoods; long trips to a vacation place; etc...

Would the flow be that much worse with the stock piping? I haven't seen the inside of the stock resonator, but more or less the thought is stock resonator with some sort of high flow muffler (and getting rid of the kink as mentioned for the stock muffler).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:10 PM

sell it and get RRE stealth exhaust, its around 500 i think im not sure...
its 3'' piping and it looks stockier than stock so cops wont be on you and its super not that loud
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:17 PM

I have been considering the stock turboback route with a nice cut out just behind the DP (where the stock cat should be). Then it wouldn't really matter even about the muffler or resonator...?

FWIW, I have a 3.5" downpipe I could use also. Once upon a time the car had a 3.5" TBE. That was wicked sounding... but also literally required ear plugs on a long drive (so damn droney).
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:40 PM

Any other ideas? Input
Old Jan 17, 2009, 02:10 PM

Have you tried an exhaust silencer?

You could spend maybe $15 and have a super quiet 600 hp evo, hahaha.

Or, go the QTP route like sloevo12 said and put your stock cat back on and buy the QTP electric cutout (either the unit and have it welded into your test pipe or buy the downpipe).

That way you could be stock-quiet on the street then open that badboy up for some I-hate-my-neighbors-so-i'm-going-to-warm-up-the-car-at-six-a-m-with-the-cutout-open-hahahaha-thats-what-you-get-for-letting-your-dog-poop-on-my-yard fun!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by adamweldonjohns
Have you tried an exhaust silencer?

You could spend maybe $15 and have a super quiet 600 hp evo, hahaha.

Or, go the QTP route like sloevo12 said and put your stock cat back on and buy the QTP electric cutout (either the unit and have it welded into your test pipe or buy the downpipe).

That way you could be stock-quiet on the street then open that badboy up for some I-hate-my-neighbors-so-i'm-going-to-warm-up-the-car-at-six-a-m-with-the-cutout-open-hahahaha-thats-what-you-get-for-letting-your-dog-poop-on-my-yard fun!
Haha

I may look into the cutout. I'm sort of a fan of the stealth look anyhow