Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Turbo Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DO IT!!! I want to see a legit twin turbo Evo. HTA3076 and HTA3586! Not even sure that would work.

Mikey
Old May 1, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be done that way, but they are too close in size IMO. The stock turbo wouldn't be a terrible match for a 3586 though. I'd still recomend bigger on the primary.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norris designs is making that super charger / turbo. The supercharge is on the back side of the motor towards the bottom. he said that if it works out the kits should be about 10K.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWD92...eature=channel

they have three vids on their channel, but no engine shots....
Old May 11, 2010, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
madmac's evo running hillclimbs
runs a supercharger and turbo 6krpm rev limit (set as a test can rev higher) but there is so much torque he didn't need the revs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aevTJetugMQ
Old May 12, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
Norris designs is making that super charger / turbo. The supercharge is on the back side of the motor towards the bottom. he said that if it works out the kits should be about 10K.

A guy on the forums tried this idea. He had a 1500 cc charger with an HX50 turbo. The car did amazingly well until that his tuner didn't have experience and AMS wasn't sure how to handle a setup they didn't build.

I have always thought twin charging would be a good idea. I hate seeing twin charger setups that use a centrifugal and a turbo would much rather see a roots charger.

On the topic of tt setups I say do compound instead sounds little easier and more efficient from what most diesel guys say.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
madmac's evo running hillclimbs
runs a supercharger and turbo 6krpm rev limit (set as a test can rev higher) but there is so much torque he didn't need the revs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aevTJetugMQ
Dont worry mac will be reving higher now. He had a bust supercharger that has now been fixed. thing he is dynoing the beast soon cant wait for numbers
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWD92...eature=channel

they have three vids on their channel, but no engine shots....
All i can say is i want 1 no other way to put it or maybe this in front facing tt
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:56 PM

Madmac's Evo 5 is pure sickness. No lag, massive torque and HP, low back pressure.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by surfpac
Madmac's Evo 5 is pure sickness. No lag, massive torque and HP, low back pressure.
It will be even better next season. he is going to be rebuilding the motor this winter (3years old now) as well as making some mods to the setup. Should be very intresting once he has finshed.

Oh and he has designed and built tubular subframes front and rear.......

Chris.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 09:12 PM

Recent dyno..
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
You will get a whole bunch of EVO 'experts' claiming that your question is totally ridicules. "Two turbos is one too many." "Look at the RX-7." "Look at the Supra."

My response to the naysayers would be, "Look at the Bimmer 135/335." Why is no one laughing at BMW?

That said, I think a better set-up idea -- with far less plumbing required -- would be a compound turbo. Basically that is a small turbo blowing into a large turbo. The best of both worlds -- very quick spool and very big HP.

I think that's what he was reffering to to begin with since twin turbo is mostly used people just throw it out there but technically twin turbo is a turbo on each manifold and our cars has one so compound would be the only way to do this.

And ams was going to do it in their top shop challenge but according to modified they dropped the idea because of cost and went with a single turbo.

It can be done. Anything is possible u just need pockets deep enough.

Here's more food for thought how about a twin charged evo? Why have two small turbos like the original op said or a small turbo feeding a larger one. It would be sick to see a supercharger handling everything down low and a huge turbo taking over up top.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

The AMS setup looks compound at first glance, but was actually sequential. People have compounded turbos and super chargers, but the problem I have with that is that the SCs most people would use for this are pretty inefficient, and compounding it will just compound the inefficiency. But it does work, and people have been happy with the result. One benefit is that since the SC is tied right to the crank shaft, spool up is predictable. In a case like mine with an auto trans, that would be beneficial. The spool up on my small turbo changes with the conditions, which can be somewhat aggravating, but once it spools, it spools the big turbo with no problem and ultiamtely that's the main goal.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Why does the posted dyno have hp/tq crossing above 6500rpm? Quite far from 5252....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

HP and TQ are on different scales. There is also some wheel HP vs engine HP ****ery going on there.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Evo?