Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Turbo Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
The AMS setup looks compound at first glance, but was actually sequential. People have compounded turbos and super chargers, but the problem I have with that is that the SCs most people would use for this are pretty inefficient, and compounding it will just compound the inefficiency. But it does work, and people have been happy with the result. One benefit is that since the SC is tied right to the crank shaft, spool up is predictable. In a case like mine with an auto trans, that would be beneficial. The spool up on my small turbo changes with the conditions, which can be somewhat aggravating, but once it spools, it spools the big turbo with no problem and ultiamtely that's the main goal.
I actually know someone who uses a Roots style blower (Eaton I believe) paired with a turbo, this on a 1.8. Its ~500whp and an absolute monster. Roots style chargers arent the most efficient, but still increase the motors efficiency.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScorpionT
I actually know someone who uses a Roots style blower (Eaton I believe) paired with a turbo, this on a 1.8. Its ~500whp and an absolute monster. Roots style chargers arent the most efficient, but still increase the motors efficiency.
What's your friend's name? Bruno Ianiello?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7P9D...eature=channel
The Delta S4 run twin charge compounded (Turbo > Roots SC) and the SC is always running when the engine is boosting..(listen to the sound when the car is boosting, you can hear the SC whining and it doesn't disengage when the revs go up, contrary to some belief). BTW, the Group B Delta S4 ran a 1.8L motor with a roots type SC and they could produce 500HP+ but I'm sure Bruno's is probably stroked.

Another compounded TC>SC setup is a guy in Sweden that runs a GT40 into an Eaton M62 SC. (You can find the M62 on a few early 90's GM vehicles). That Volvo powered Manta is pushing upper 500's HP with NO LAG. No traction too from massive torque, no problem for the Evo's though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_pB_...eature=related

Another benefit of the TC>SC compounded setup is that the intake pressure will always be higher than the exhaust backpressure when boosting. So cam overlap would do wonders on these setups. Typically these guys run a larger exhaust backhousing than a standard "turbo only" setup yet still able to spool up much quicker and run lower exhaust back pressure.

Last edited by surfpac; Mar 4, 2011 at 07:49 AM.