Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wierd coolant temp issue...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
77k on the car, less than 3k on the built motor.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Original radiator? Waterpump replaced at rebuild?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Original radiator? Waterpump replaced at rebuild?

Yes, oe rad. The water pump looks to be new. I did not do the rebuild I just purchased the car.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This same thing happened to me last night of what you described. I was out messing around with a my buddy's c5 corvette, we did a 2nd-4th gear pull. After I lifted at the top of 4th gear (7700rpm) I noticed my temp gauge went through the roof. Didn't hit the "H" but it was up there. After about 5 seconds it immediately came back down to normal.
I pulled over at a gas station right after wards to double check everything, downloaded the internal log via AEM EMS. Not one drop of coolant was pushed, radiator was nice and full. Checked over the logs and the run started at 176degrees, when I lifted in 4th gear it went upto 190 then came back down to 178 during decel.
So I dunno what the deal was there, 190 isn't anything. But the needle on the dash was reading otherwise. It's done this same thing to me one other time but it doesn't happen all the time. Only twice has it ever happened. I did notice something screwy with the AEM log that I downloaded last night, at one point right when I lifted in 4th gear the coolant temp glitched from 190degree to 35 degree then back up. It was a very small blip witch would make me believe that the sensor is taking a crap on me. Who knows.
I'm going to yank out my sensors (dash sensor and ecu coolant temp sensor) and check both of them over.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
This same thing happened to me last night of what you described. I was out messing around with a my buddy's c5 corvette, we did a 2nd-4th gear pull. After I lifted at the top of 4th gear (7700rpm) I noticed my temp gauge went through the roof. Didn't hit the "H" but it was up there. After about 5 seconds it immediately came back down to normal.
I pulled over at a gas station right after wards to double check everything, downloaded the internal log via AEM EMS. Not one drop of coolant was pushed, radiator was nice and full. Checked over the logs and the run started at 176degrees, when I lifted in 4th gear it went upto 190 then came back down to 178 during decel.
So I dunno what the deal was there, 190 isn't anything. But the needle on the dash was reading otherwise. It's done this same thing to me one other time but it doesn't happen all the time. Only twice has it ever happened. I did notice something screwy with the AEM log that I downloaded last night, at one point right when I lifted in 4th gear the coolant temp glitched from 190degree to 35 degree then back up. It was a very small blip witch would make me believe that the sensor is taking a crap on me. Who knows.
I'm going to yank out my sensors (dash sensor and ecu coolant temp sensor) and check both of them over.

Mine is actually going the opposite way, the gauge says it has cooled off. Only 1/4 up from the bottom. Did a 2-4 last nite, pull started at 188, and when I let off it was 195, then it proceeded to climb to about 215 and then back down.

Never pushes or uses any coolant..

Logged my friends evo9mr today and his car cruises at 188-195 just like mine, so I don't feel so bad.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any update? mine is doing the same thing..

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All of us learn something new everyday.

There is a test you guys can do for issues like this or related.

You would need a Hydro Carbon tester. Found at some Autoparts or Truck Stops.

If you test the Coolant for Hydro Carbons and the test is possitive, that could indicate you got a leak that needs attention.

Possible problems if test is possitive, streched head bolt, lifting head, bad head gasket, etc.

There should be zero to little traces of H.C. in the coolant.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not losing any coolant, but im thinking the thermostat maybe sticking??

I drive to work and in the first 3 mins the temp goes all the way hot, and 40 secs later goes to normal and stays that way until i do a pull. goes all the way hot, then gets to normal 40 secs later.

I drive home at night, 60 degrees out, drive normal and same thing.. It goes to Red hot, then 40 secs later it is lower than normal..

possible thermostat?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very similar to what my friend '03 VIII is doing also.