Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:04 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone using one in their DD? I wanted to start a thread like this a while back and voila, here it is!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i will be DD mine once i finally install it. until then it sits in my box in my room. Im glad to own one and i only had to wait 4 days for mine to come in. lol ill send it off to get ported i guess. lol working on the outside of my car now once thats is mostly done ill switch back to the enginebay for more parts. im sure the turbo will hold up and stand strong for along while. of course that all depends how you drive. i mean i dont race anybody down here nor am i in a hurry to get somewhere. nobody wants to mess with a evo where i live so rarely seen but folks know whats up.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIX
We push the Red Closer to its limits more than probably anyone and to this day we have not had one problem with it what so ever.

that may be true ultimate power wise, but if you haven't seen one break, then you haven't pushed it to its limits

plus, your sponsored by FP or course "not one problem with it whatsoever" is the case
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

i just got my 9 turbo so i can send it to fp to turn into the red... just orderd my exhaust manifold, 02, injectors, fuel rail, and alky kit as well! anyone have any idea on how long of a wait it is from FP....?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
that may be true ultimate power wise, but if you haven't seen one break, then you haven't pushed it to its limits

plus, your sponsored by FP or course "not one problem with it whatsoever" is the case
haha got a point
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OKIX
The RED is one badarse turbo plain and simple. NObody around my area can believe that that turbo is making so much power...and the nice thing about it is when you are not beating on it. It drives just as though it did with the stocker. It such a good street turbo. I could not be happier.

We push the Red Closer to its limits more than probably anyone and to this day we have not had one problem with it what so ever.
You were one of the people I was waiting on to post lol...You are the main reason most people buy into the red I would venture to say. The words of encouragement to buy this turbo are nice to see as this is the route I will take. 30R like numbers out of a stock frame turbo is simply awesome...I will be sending my green off soon. Need to call FP and get an estimate on how long it will take and how much.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

what r u doing to the green? just rebuilding it?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Having my green updated to a red.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

I completely agree with you. Thats why we are going to keep pushing it further and further. It is very reassuring though when you can push a turbo to the point we have now, and feel safe that it will continue to do its job without failure.

Originally Posted by tony gibson
You were one of the people I was waiting on to post lol...You are the main reason most people buy into the red I would venture to say. The words of encouragement to buy this turbo are nice to see as this is the route I will take. 30R like numbers out of a stock frame turbo is simply awesome...I will be sending my green off soon. Need to call FP and get an estimate on how long it will take and how much.
Well thanks... I will take that as a compliment. Yes, this car is a track car. BUT, it is not just a track car. It is driven on the streets aswell and I will say that you will absolutely love this turbo. I personally do not want to move away from the stock frame turbo. It gives you all the power to run mid 9's but it can be run on the streets on a "mild" setup and be a nightmare for people who pull up next to you.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Kevind, one thing to consider though....From day 1 my father and I have had personal goals that we want/wanted to reach. From there we looked at how we could get to our personal goals. So then we set out looking at every single option and weighted our decision on who's parts to use. With FP's proven results, we chose them. So, WE chose FP and just happen to get REAL lucky and have them help us out as well.

Last edited by OKIX; Jan 21, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would love to get sponsored once i get done with my car lol. looks interior and engine. but atlast i dont know what it takes to do that and by the time im done with this build ill have no need for one since i would have boughten and installed all the parts. lol carshow and street ready.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Bump! Anyone else out there?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KevinD, pushing a part to it's limits DOES NOT MEAN the part has to break. If you opush a cam to it's limits of making power, does that mean it breaks? Pushing a turbo to maximum psi where the point of losing power due to inefficiencies does not mean the part breaks either. If I recall correctly, I'm sure you didn't read it, back in 2007 we pushed the turbo to 37.3 psi and when it was run to 40, power dropped. Did we break it, no. Was the turbo pushed to it's limits of abilities? Yes. Maybe breaking parts is your criteria, but it doesn't relate to the turbo.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe he is referring to premature failure due to heat caused by road racing at full power for 1+min at a time.. or maybe overspinning the turbo (due to leaks, rpm of compressor) causing it to blow? Not quite sure..
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just installed my FP Red a few days ago. It took me like 20 hours!!! I took my time and spread it out over a couple of days. I love that the things not always in boost driving around at part throttle. There is a much more definitive line in which boost comes on over the standard VIII turbo. Onces its online it builds really fast with no layover. Then again my cars nearly stock. I just got tired of putting three car lengths on my neighbors LS1 Vette in the 60ft only to have him run me down by 85 MPH. Its serves its purpose and he doesnt gain on me ever.
My turboXS MBC **** the bed (piece of ****), plus Im waiting on my bigger injectors to show up. Then Ill turn it up past 20psi.

Quick Reply: FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit