Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tony gibson
Having my green updated to a red.
Cost on this is?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Havent called FP yet...would be nice if Grocemax or someone chimed in..or maybe pm me an upgrade price
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Havent called FP yet...would be nice if Grocemax or someone chimed in..or maybe pm me an upgrade price
me too me too! I'm about to acquire an FP Green, I'd hate for a 450whp turbo to end up on a built 2.0 that can handle more
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Cost on this is?
Going to cost the same as if you were sending in a stock evo 9 turbo in to be upgraded.

There is no discount for having a green upgraded to a red.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codean
Going to cost the same as if you were sending in a stock evo 9 turbo in to be upgraded.

There is no discount for having a green upgraded to a red.
Thats kind of lame, the housings are already machined to a certain extent. I'd expect it to take less time. Better off selling the green, buying a 9 turbo, and then converting that.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIX
I will say that you will absolutely love this turbo. I personally do not want to move away from the stock frame turbo. It gives you all the power to run mid 9's but it can be run on the streets on a "mild" setup and be a nightmare for people who pull up next to you.
I wonder at what boost levels is the FP Red considered a nightmare? I mean, I've seen FP Red turbos set at 30PSI on pump gas putting down roughly 450whp and a slightly lower amount of wtq. I'd be interested in seeing (reading) what guys sporting this combination thinks of the FP Red. My alternative is to go with the BBK Full on E-85 as I can still run 1000cc injectors instead of having to purchase the double pumper. I'm not trying to jack the thread as opposed at letting you guys know where I stand in hopes in making this decision easier for me.

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Cost on this is?
I thought the price was $1000 plus tax and shipping.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it's $1100 + $95 for the porting and an additional $125 for the high pressure actuator. I'll be sending my stock IX out soon and then plan on selling my green.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

If your gonna upgrade to the Red from a stock turbo consider porting all attatching pieces (manifold, TB, O2 housing). I noticed that even though I opted for the non ported model, many of the ports were already at the gaskets maximum size. So I ported everything else myself. If youve got a die grinder you can save yourself a ton of $, and it only costs you time.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and by the way, I ordered my turbo in late July, just got it about 3-4 weeks ago. I didnt care I knew it would be along time, and I actually forgot about.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well the car has not been driven in two months...I would hope it would be a little quicker than 5 months! I already have a tubular 02 housing and the stock manifold will be ported. I figured it would be the same cost as upgrading a stock 9 turbo but a green is what I have....so I will just send it in. I would like for the turbo to get to me before April as the track will be open and the temps will be mild!

my current set up:

AEM EMS/3.5 bar map
1250cc injectors
hks 272/272
upper and lower ic pipes
arp head studs
BR 3 in tbe
4 inch intake pipe/filter
walbro 255 (will have an inline as well)
QM twin disc with push style tb
E85 in the tank
invidia 02 housing

The goal is to break 10s...thats it. I went 11.3@123 with the green at a measly 24psi and a 1.8 60ft. An easily attainable goal..all with 83,000 miles on the stock bottom end. Would also like to break 130mph trap. I'm at 3300ft elevation here in boise, ID so that slows me down a tad compared to the sea level guys. I know I will be pushing the edge in terms of the motor but hey...all the more reason to build her if she lets go!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:26 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jroller
Oh and by the way, I ordered my turbo in late July, just got it about 3-4 weeks ago. I didnt care I knew it would be along time, and I actually forgot about.
6 months! You cannot be serious. Did you pay for it in July, or is there something you're leaving out?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good setup, Im spraying some meth at stock boost until my injectors get here. I feel like theyll be backordered for awhile, at least until the popularity subsides. There out of the 8-9 Evo install kit too, which is a pain in the *** to make the race outlet pipe work on my stock intercooler. I figured I could just TIG up a small bend but the outlets stainless and the IC pipe is aluminum (no dice). So Ive already had a rubber coupler explode under WOT in 5th gear.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
6 months! You cannot be serious. Did you pay for it in July, or is there something you're leaving out?
No if I remeber correctly I was billed like a $300 deposit or somthing. I had forgot all about it until I started seeing $600 chunks of money coming off my card. But Im happy with the turbo. Ive even got the basic 17psi acuator and no porting, and I saw 25 psi with no signs of slowing or taper.

I feel like its a $1,800.00 solution to Evo boost taper
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well I certainly wont forget about it beings that my dd is a 2006 suzuki forensa lol. I'm gonna tell them when I would like to have it by but all I can do is hope I guess 25 psi with no taper is nice....what elevation are you at and was this reading on a gauge..at this elevation I notice about a 3 psi diff between the gauge and the aem...the gauge being the higher reading.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The goal is to break 10s...thats it. I went 11.3@123 with the green at a measly 24psi and a 1.8 60ft. Would also like to break 130mph trap.
Tony, straight up, if your goal is to run 10s and your currently sitting 0.4 tenths away from that goal, why not entertain other options to achieve that mark (i.e. - better slicks, lower the 60ft, ideal track conditions in Boise, a track closer to sea level, etc.). I think you can get there without spending the $1800 or so for the Red.

Originally Posted by jroller
No if I remember correctly I was billed like a $300 deposit or something. I had forgot all about it until I started seeing $600 chunks of money coming off my card.
This, to me, sounds like a payment plan or something. I wish I knew what FP's policies are about this as I would go this route especially since I can't fit a Red on an HMMV in Iraq. It sure would be a pretty good gift to have a nice little FP box waiting on me when I return to the good 'ole U.S.

Quick Reply: FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit