Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, if you're running 11.3 on 24 psi why not turn up the boost and max out your current turbo setup?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with Tony's evo is that we could not get anymore boost out of it due to the turbo having so much in and out shaft play, the turbo was on it's last leg and needs to be rebuilt, we tried everything that day at the track, 2 different boost controllers, unplugging the waste gate line, ect and still could not get it above 24lbs.
So at the time of being rebuilt it might as well be upgraded to an evo red.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Tony, straight up, if your goal is to run 10s and your currently sitting 0.4 tenths away from that goal, why not entertain other options to achieve that mark (i.e. - better slicks, lower the 60ft, ideal track conditions in Boise, a track closer to sea level, etc.). I think you can get there without spending the $1800 or so for the Red.

This, to me, sounds like a payment plan or something. I wish I knew what FP's policies are about this as I would go this route especially since I can't fit a Red on an HMMV in Iraq. It sure would be a pretty good gift to have a nice little FP box waiting on me when I return to the good 'ole U.S.
Not a payment plan. They want a deposit (non refundable) so they dont build you one then you stick them with it. The $600 hits to the cc were within 2 days of one another (unless you consider that a payment plan). If youve been in Iraq for more than 3 months you should be able to buy it outright. I used to laugh seeing guys in a PX blowing $ on ****ing video games, maxum magazines, while losing $25-$300 a night in poker.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Well I certainly wont forget about it beings that my dd is a 2006 suzuki forensa lol. I'm gonna tell them when I would like to have it by but all I can do is hope I guess 25 psi with no taper is nice....what elevation are you at and was this reading on a gauge..at this elevation I notice about a 3 psi diff between the gauge and the aem...the gauge being the higher reading.

Im at sea level about three blocks from the ocean actually, and it was an autometer pro comp boost gauge.

Oh and the car was only down for like 3 days during the install, I was in no hurry. Unless you sending a turbo to have turned into a red. Its good to have a reliable DD for this like my Yota pickup. Youll need to run to the parts store for little stuff, so plan accordingly.

When I drove my oil to the Auto Zone to have it recycled I didnt realize the little plastic gaket off the end of the turbo oil outlet line in the used oil. That is until I went to reinstall everything (FP doesnt send you a new one so it must be reused).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:46 PM

Last edited by 1sik _evo8; Jan 22, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1sik _evo8
im the first lucky 1 to received red turbocharger here in cali. these the first batch of red last year. i order the red around july and i got it on middle of august .we install it the turbo lasted 3 days in my car it blow up. i sent it back to FP to rebuild and this same turbo lasted on me little over 2 months and it blow up again which it killed my clutch when we dyno tune the car.i havent autocross which is my plan to anti up the power. i guess im just got a bad luck on red turbocharger
Did they say what caused the "blow up"? I guess Im lucky as my turbo has lasted 5 days Also just wondering how a turbo blowing up causes clutch failure, please explain.

Did you insatll it yourself?

Last edited by jroller; Jan 22, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jroller
Did they say what caused the "blow up"? I guess Im lucky as my turbo has lasted 5 days Also just wondering how a turbo blowing up causes clutch failure, please explain.

Did you insatll it yourself?
a friend of mine install this for me when i got the red the first time.now he's fired'. the installation is straight forward. i uninstall when it blow up the second time.we cant tuned the car coz the clutch start slippin badly. FP sayin i got oil blockage

Last edited by 1sik _evo8; Jan 22, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I agree, if you're running 11.3 on 24 psi why not turn up the boost and max out your current turbo setup?
EvilEagle is right on the nose..couldnt get more out of it no matter what. To the guy whose red blew up, did FP hook you up? Oil blockage is kind of an unseen and unfortunate incident.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Oil blockage where? on the inlet? I take it you didnt uses the braided stainless line that came in the kit?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_eagle
The problem with Tony's evo is that we could not get anymore boost out of it due to the turbo having so much in and out shaft play, the turbo was on it's last leg and needs to be rebuilt, we tried everything that day at the track, 2 different boost controllers, unplugging the waste gate line, ect and still could not get it above 24lbs. So at the time of being rebuilt it might as well be upgraded to an evo red.
OK. Now that makes everything clearer.

Not a payment plan. They want a deposit (non refundable) so they don't build you one then you stick them with it. The $600 hits to the cc were within 2 days of one another (unless you consider that a payment plan). If you've been in Iraq for more than 3 months you should be able to buy it outright. I used to laugh seeing guys in a PX blowing $ on ****ing video games, Maxim magazines, while losing $25-$300 a night in poker.
Off topic a bit, but yeah Soldiers kill me too how money is just spent. Of course, if video games, magazines, and poker is their thing, fine. But for me, I bring everything with me when I deploy so I only have to buy the essentials and an occasional splurge. But for the most part, I will use my Star card if I want to buy gifts and whatnot. I'm wargaming a course of action of going the FP Red/E-85 route once the Career Status Bonus ($30K tax free) hits the 'ole account.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:25 AM

Oil blockage where? on the inlet? I take it you didnt uses the braided stainless line that came in the kit?
FP sayin that there a partial blockage on the thrust bearing
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
OK. Now that makes everything clearer.

Off topic a bit, but yeah Soldiers kill me too how money is just spent. Of course, if video games, magazines, and poker is their thing, fine. But for me, I bring everything with me when I deploy so I only have to buy the essentials and an occasional splurge. But for the most part, I will use my Star card if I want to buy gifts and whatnot. I'm wargaming a course of action of going the FP Red/E-85 route once the Career Status Bonus ($30K tax free) hits the 'ole account.
Are you AF or Army? I do the same thing when I deploy lol...smart. I am an E-6 in active duty AF here at Mountain Home Air Force Base.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tony gibson
Are you AF or Army? I do the same thing when I deploy lol...smart. I am an E-6 in active duty AF here at Mountain Home Air Force Base.
I am an Active Army Chief Warrant Officer Three (Intelligence) here at Fort Hood, Texas.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice...wish we had the warrant officer program..I definitely wouldve gone that route. I have been TDY to Fort Hood a few times so our jets could fly caps over the Presidents house..Your base is huge lol. I actualy took a stripper back home from Teasers...biggest mistake of my life!! I ended up buying her *** a one way ticket back to Kaileen lol
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
KevinD, pushing a part to it's limits DOES NOT MEAN the part has to break. If you opush a cam to it's limits of making power, does that mean it breaks? Pushing a turbo to maximum psi where the point of losing power due to inefficiencies does not mean the part breaks either. If I recall correctly, I'm sure you didn't read it, back in 2007 we pushed the turbo to 37.3 psi and when it was run to 40, power dropped. Did we break it, no. Was the turbo pushed to it's limits of abilities? Yes. Maybe breaking parts is your criteria, but it doesn't relate to the turbo.

ok, maybe the part doesn't have to break, but i have seen more then a few reds destroyed from tracking them on the road course. enough to know there is/was a problem with it

Quick Reply: FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit