Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit

Just out of curiosity, I would like to hear from people sporting FP RED turbos. Things like mileage accumulated, boost ran on a daily basis, performance numbers and reliability. I have ran the FP Green on my car (stock motor, AEM EMS, 1000cc injectors, walbro 255, HKS 272/272) for 30,000 miles and noticed some in and out shaft play so I am looking to upgrade to a RED. If I can get 30,000 miles out of it and slay my old numbers (11.3@123mph on e85 and 24psi) I am sold. Please no comments about thread searching as I have done this already and dont see what I am searching for. I am a huge fan of FP turbos but I am also a realist and know that any turbo running that small of a shaft and that big of a wheel cant last forever. So with this in mind Red owners, chime away..btw I am running speed density so NO I am not running the stock airbox and MAF lol.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
Account Disabled

I loved my red I don't see why your worried about failure...

FP FTW
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Just some of the crap the Brits talked about a while back...how many miles do you have thus far? How much boost are you running?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Just some of the crap the Brits talked about a while back...how many miles do you have thus far? How much boost are you running?
Please excuse me for being a Brit(not a true Brit as I am from Scotland). I agree with you that the failure over here, in my view, are more to do with setup/mapping and ultimately the boost ran on them therefore overspinning the turbo.

From my experience the Green was very good and never had any reliability problems with it but it did not jump a big enough step from the std IX turbo. I now have the Red which is set to run at 1.8 bar but actually gets to 1.9-2.0bar with the cold weather just now. I wish this is what the Green had been like. This is my daily driver and continues to run faultlessly. Have been running the Red since the middle of November

cheers

John
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Oh no I meant nothing against the Brits as I have British and Scottish hearitage my self...just a statement. Thank you for the info...most informative response yet. Wish I could get more like it!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnd
Please excuse me for being a Brit(not a true Brit as I am from Scotland).
I think the word for that one is a Scot
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

GST stated that the fp red is not very good at withstanding long periods of heat cycles
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Shacochis06
I loved my red I don't see why your worried about failure...

FP FTW
lovED?

how long did you have your red?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrym
GST stated that the fp red is not very good at withstanding long periods of heat cycles
I'm not sure what is meant by "long periods of heat cycles". I think that's a bit subjective and without knowing all of the details of the car(s) it was on and the environment in which the FP Red was operating in, then a statement like that/this is open-ended. If you track your car, then "long periods" would be a few 1320 feet sprints on a given evening. If autocrossing is your thing, those tracks are usually not "long" enough and you'll spend most of your time in first and second gear. If you spend the majority of your time on the street, then you might run a bit longer than a quarter mile at a time (on higher amounts of boost, of course). Your FP Red/E85 on 24PSI is a route I haven't seen. What are your plans for the FP Red? On E85, you will have to purchase yourself the double pumper which begs the reasoning of why not run more boost with the cooling efficiency of E85?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

I was running the green at 24 psi because I couldnt get anymore out of it...about a 27psi spike and held 23-24 psi to 7500rpm. I am pretty easy on my cars when I am not tracking them...I will drag race it and an occasional autox or hill climb. Yes I plan on doing another inline pump and upgrading to 1200cc injectors.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Come on I know there were more FP Reds sold than this! Hlep me out fellas.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I have had the chance to tune a handfull of FPReds here in CO and it is one of the most responsive and best performing turbos on the market. I personally sold my 30r for a FPRed. One thing I will tell you is if you want one don't expect to get one overnight. There is a high demand for them right now.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

My red is going strong, i have had no issues at all. I have a few different track maps ranging from 22 psi to 30psi... 390whp - 460whp on gst's mustang dyno...Thing pulls like a train (-:
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

picked up mine from a friend who had installed it for 400 miles and parted out his car..the turbo was seeing about 1.9 bars of boost..when installing it on my car..i noticed some in and out shaft play (about 2mm) but then again my stock turbo did that and lasted me 20k miles.

nothing to be worried about...anyways dont those turbos have some sort of warranties?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

The RED is one badarse turbo plain and simple. NObody around my area can believe that that turbo is making so much power...and the nice thing about it is when you are not beating on it. It drives just as though it did with the stocker. It such a good street turbo. I could not be happier.

We push the Red Closer to its limits more than probably anyone and to this day we have not had one problem with it what so ever.

Last edited by OKIX; Jan 20, 2009 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: FP RED updates: For those who have run it for a bit