Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about 2.3l twinscroll gt40r

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 2.3l twinscroll gt40r

Im new to the Evo scene and currently drive a 420whp SRT-4 and am looking into selling/trading my car and getting a big turbo evo. I have been looking through the For Sale threads and came across this Evo thats not to far from me.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ale-trade.html

Im just trying to get some insight from the more experienced people on here. I will be daily driving this car and i feel the gt40r is going to be way to big for my taste. Im deffenitly looking for some opinions and suggestions about the car. I dont want to end up buying something im going to be kicking myself in the *** for in the end. I know the engine can handle tons of power i would assume but im looking for something with faster spool and more streetable for daily driving, such as a gt3076 or gt35r ect. Would it be difficult to sell the turbo and just swap it with another or would i need a whole new manifold/downpipe ect. Any and all responces will be greatly appreaciated, i really need all the help i can get. Thanks!

Here is a mod list on the Evo if you dont feel like clicking on the link.

For sale is a 2003 evolution8...(apex silver)

The car sits at 40,206 miles right now. The car had a fully built 2.3L stroker motor done 38,523. The motor and all performance parts have just under 3k.The tranny was just fully rebuilt and built(200miles) still breaking in. 2 weeks before the tranny was pulled the car was tuned. The car made 567hwp and 471ft tq at 28 psi on alchol and pump. I have all recipts with milege and parts dates and all. Car was never launched have not gotten out of the breaking in stage. The car has been on the road tuned and with the built tranny for only about 2 weeks.All work was done at pruven performance in ct. Except for the tranny. CAR GETS 25mpg highway

The car was my only car so i need to sell it to get to school everyday..this is why it has a conservative tune and is at very low boost for this turbo and motor ..This car will hold any power you desire with just a tune and uping the boost.

Engine mods:
-2.3L stroker motor(3k miles)
-twin scroll gt40r(3k)
-tial 44mm external wastegate
-hks twin fire ignition
-ams fmic
-ams small battery kit
-ams licp
-ams uicp
-tial 50mm bov (polished)
-brand new radiator
-slim fan
-smc alchol kit (brand new pump)
-ported intake manifold and throttle body
-buschur polished 3in intake with maf ( will include 4in intake)
-ralliart diff( 200miles)
-brand new fully built tranny (200miles)
-exedy twin disk (200miles)
-hks 280 cams
-4in dp into 3.5in hks exhaust(perrin cat delete)
-forge boost controller
-walboro 255 fuel pump
-precission 1000cc injectors
Im sure i forgot some mods but i will go through the engine bay or you can ask if it has anything as well.

Exterior mods:
-gunmetal rota's p45r (18-9.5)
-kuhmo escta tires(245/45/18)
-tein springs
-perrin 2in antenna
-white fog lights(all dash lights and lights on the car were jsut repleaced
-stock rims included with winter tires and street tires( 12 tires in all)
-20% tint all around

Electronics:
-Apexi turbo timer
-Blitz boost gauge
-aem uego A/F gauge
-alchol control box

PRICE: open to any trades or offers. Car is located in ct.
Call me any time 203-804-7268...if off 203-877-0412...I have aboout $30,000 in recipts not including the car.. never really got to enjoy her cause when she was all tuned and tranny working i am still in process of breaking her in. and now she is parked till someone buys it.

Pictures..PLease pm your email for pics or i will try to learn how to pst them.

Everthinf from the motor to the drive train is brand new.
exterior; 7.5 out of 10
interior: 10 out of 10

The bad with the car is the stock wheels were my winter wheels and are curb rashed a bit..The car was vandalized when i was in high school the door was kciked in and tires slashed everything was fixed besides the rear pass door it is still dented. Other then that it is the norm where and tear on and evo like the clear coat on the wing. but that will probably get redone this week. and has a few other scratches.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

You could sell the 40R and get a GT35R with a twin scroll T4 housing, 1.06 A/R.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Full Race says the Gt40R TS kits are actually pretty driveable, comparable spool to a 35R open scroll. Add the 2.3 on top of that and I think you'd be fine for DD. One HELL of a DD though for sure.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:25 PM

thanks for the reply's so far guys. Anyone have any honest opinions about the car?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:59 PM

anyone?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Car looks pretty good overall. I would say go for it.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like an awesome car. obviously the gt40 is a huge turbo esp for DD, but with the 2.3 stroker it shud spool pretty quick. no exact numbers from experience, wud like to hear some spool characteristics from ppl with first hand knowlledge, but i wud think it would be an awesome machine. id say go for it, will be an incredible upgrade from an srt4. i just cant believe this member had that car in HS! wow nice car...gl with the purchase!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by boostedtres
sounds like an awesome car. obviously the gt40 is a huge turbo esp for DD, but with the 2.3 stroker it shud spool pretty quick. no exact numbers from experience, wud like to hear some spool characteristics from ppl with first hand knowlledge, but i wud think it would be an awesome machine. id say go for it, will be an incredible upgrade from an srt4. i just cant believe this member had that car in HS! wow nice car...gl with the purchase!
Exactly what im trying to figure out. I will be coming from a fast spooling big wheeled stage 3R that i get 25-26psi around 3300 rpms and 420whp. So this will be a big change and i dont know if im going to like so much lag. But who knows, because the rev limiter on my SRT is only 6500 rpms so.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 401tuner
thanks for the reply's so far guys. Anyone have any honest opinions about the car?
Cosmetically, it sounds like the exterior has taken a bit of a beating.

One member with a 2.3 and GT40R developed 40psi by 4200rpm, so you may want to sit tight before you go off changing manifolds and turbos. His setup involved a 0.95 A/R TS T4 turbine housing, so I'd find out what the car has now and plan to swap the housings.

The weak link is the valvetrain and head. At the very least, a valvespring upgrade and better cams should be considered if you want best possible low speed response.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Cosmetically, it sounds like the exterior has taken a bit of a beating.

One member with a 2.3 and GT40R developed 40psi by 4200rpm, so you may want to sit tight before you go off changing manifolds and turbos. His setup involved a 0.95 A/R TS T4 turbine housing, so I'd find out what the car has now and plan to swap the housings.

The weak link is the valvetrain and head. At the very least, a valvespring upgrade and better cams should be considered if you want best possible low speed response.
When you say, better cams, what cams would you reccommend? Can you tell me the closest cams to your custom cams that are available on the street and be best suited to large displacement stroker twin scroll set-ups? I was thinking Cosworth Mivec M3's??...Yes?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

I daily drive a 2.3 gt4088r and its awesome, it spools up just fine. Im only running it at wastegate pressure for the winter but still rips. Its the twin scroll gt40r.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by miragevo
When you say, better cams, what cams would you reccommend? Can you tell me the closest cams to your custom cams that are available on the street and be best suited to large displacement stroker twin scroll set-ups? I was thinking Cosworth Mivec M3's??...Yes?
My cams are specifically VIII cams. With MIVEC, you have more flexibility, depending upon your understanding of cam timing and your MIVEC tuning skills.

The Cossie M3s should do a good job, but are really best suited toward a ported head. An upgraded valvetrain is a must, but it's worth it.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
My cams are specifically VIII cams. With MIVEC, you have more flexibility, depending upon your understanding of cam timing and your MIVEC tuning skills.

The Cossie M3s should do a good job, but are really best suited toward a ported head. An upgraded valvetrain is a must, but it's worth it.
I plan on cnc porting the head. Any good readings, info or books on brushing up my skills on understanding cam timing ? I will leave the Mivec tuning skills up to my tuner. Can you be so kind as to answer my question in the Sticky post: to stroke or not to stroke? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Im running a 2.4 with a twin scroll gt4088r and its so badass. It spools faster then my 67mm single scroll! Way better driveability then any turbo kit i have owned. I say keep it as is.

--Josh