Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I be worried?

So, for a couple of days it got pretty cold here; like 5-6 F. I took the EVO out one night for a drive, got on it a bit (after it warmed up, of course), but nothing major. Don't think I even hit 6K rpm. As I turned onto my street I caught what I thought was a cloud of smoke in the rearview, but didn't think too much of it.

Next day, still cold, I got in the EVO again. After maybe 5 mins of driving, I realized that I was leaving a pretty good cloud of white (maybe a hint of blue/grey) smoke behind me. The smoke seemed to be much worse when I put load in the engine. Didn't seem to be affected by rpms, just load. So, I thought I'd better get home and check it out.

Got home, popped the hood and noticed that there was oil splattered on the valve cover around the oil cap, almost like the cap had lifted up and the oil splattered all around it. There was also oil sitting in the indent where the intake manifold bolts to the head. At first I thought it had come from the gasket there, but I think now it probably dripped down from the cap and settled there. I check the oil as well and it was a little below the bottom notch, which was strange as I changed the oil about a month ago.

Anyway, I cleaned it all up, topped up the oil, and things have been fine since. No smoke, no oil leaks & drives perfectly. I want to think that the cold screwed with my oil cap and it leaked onto the block and burned off, but the fact that it would smoke more under load doesn't seem to jive with that. Haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet and look for oil, but I guess that's the logical next step? Anybody have any ideas what may have happened? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Dipstick pop up?????
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:17 PM

Didn't notice it at the time, but that would make a ton of sense. Oil would spray out every time I hit the gas I guess? Forgot all about that problem. I'll have to check the underside of my hood.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

dipstick could have popped, or in my case the gasket for the oil cap has gone bad. we noticed that when swapping turbos and ther was a little oil around
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:22 PM