Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help needed fast thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Coolant Leaking!

Hey guys,
EDIT I went to check the coolant level today and it seemed to have lost a little bit. When I pulled off the cap I start to see coolant dripping...There are no leaks where I plugged the waterpump with the rubber freeze plug! Where else could it be leaking from because I cannot seam to find it!

Well I flooring it in first when all of a sudden I hear a pop. So I am thinking its the intercooler pipe no biggie. Then I pop the hood and there is coolant everywhere...I look around and see on the left side of the motor right infront of the alternator coolant. Its def the source of the coolant everywhere. If I pull the radiator cap off coolant starts flowing again so I put it back on. No more coolant is coming out at the moment. Is there a hose that connects to where I am describing? I am not sure what that piece is or what its supposed to go to...My car is parked in a parking lot but I would like to fix it. Any ideas? Also it looks as if its going into the block and also has the same appearence as the outlet to the turbo. Sorry no pics but hopefully someone will be able to assist me. Thanks in advance am I am praying that this can be fixed.

Last edited by heel2toe; Jan 23, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
freeze plug
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, freeze plug. they are designed to "pop" out if there is too much pressure in the block. It saves your motor from the block splitting instead.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

its the water pump. it sits by the alternator and has a big metal tube coming out the back running under the intake mani. Is the freeze plug missing in it (a big gaping hole?)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the quick responses. Here are some quick pics from my blackberry. Hopefully you will be able to tell. If it is the freeze plug is this something that should be covered under warranty. No I know I will get some poeple saying we dont have a waranty haha but i am just looking to see. Anyway here are the pics

Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone? I know there are a couple different freeze plugs so which size is that one? I assume its the one to the water pump?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes that is a freeze plug, looks to be the 35mm variety (2 sizes 35mm and 40mm, the 40mm go over Cylinders #1 and #4 on the front of the block, not sure where else, should be covered if you are stock. Do not drive the car anymore you will overheat it. Part # is MF665541.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again for your help. The dealership said they wouldnt be able to get the parts in till Monday or Tuesday so I ended up going to an auto parts store and getting a couple different size rubber plugs. Got back to my car and tried to finagle one in but the alternator bracket got in the way. Unbolted the two top bolts and loosened the one hidden behind the pulley enough to give the bracket play. I knew had I fully removed it I would have never been able to get it back on without removing the pulley. Anyway I capped it off and topped the radiator up with coolant bled it and managed to get her safely back into my garage. I am just afraid now to get on boost...at least I dont need to pay for a tow...yet...and my warranty is probably very close to being up now since I believe its 3/36000. My car only has 14000 miles but oh well. And they would probably deny it since my car if modified anyway. Well I minds well order the new freeze plug because the rubber one just seems like a hack but thats just me
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have dealt with this issue more than once. I actually am at the point now where I peen the freeze plug to the water pump housing using a punch.

Bryan
Old Jan 23, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

^I am not really sure what you mean by that...anyway like i said currently I have installed a rubber freeze plug so I could get my car back home. Right now I am worried as to why mine popped out. My car isnt pushing serious power...just basic bolt ons and a tune. The only install I did recently was an external dump where I removed the radiator. The car drove fine after that for over a month now.
Did I fill it up with too much coolant or was it not properly bled? Without buying one of those special funnels whats the best method to bleed the system? Raise up the front a little, pull off cap, turn on heat full blast and wait for the thermostat to kick on then fill as needed?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

BUMP! I dont have any other means of transportation so I am in desperate need of help! Please read the bold in my first post. Thanks a lot guys and hopefully I will be able to figure this out.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Got the car towed over to the dealership earlier today. I used to work there as a lot attendant so I am friendly with most of the guys. We got it up on the lift however were not able to point out exactly where the leak is coming from. Currently the plan is to install a new waterpump. They told me it would be covered under warranty which shocked me as mine is an 05 so I thought it would be up. Also my car is modified so that never helps the situation. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that whatever the issue is that it will be fixed and that it will not come out of my pocket.

How could my waterpump have failed? Also another interesting thing was that when we were draining the coolant it looked very watery as if it wasnt mixed a true 50/50. How could this be considering I changed my radiator fluid about a month ago when i installed my dump and refilled it with the premixed 50/50? Haha it just doesnt make any sense to me? Thanks for the advise and I already miss my baby and just want here back and healthy!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Its the freeze plug in the water pump. Had mine blow out on the dyno, put a new plug in and scored it into place. Week later the pump started leaking. Something in the water pump has taken a dump and isnt letting pressure out so it blows the plug. if you lock the plug in place, it will just blow the pump.

So you need a new pump. And better hope its under warranty because you have to pull the timing belt and everything to change it. Its expensive!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Celica2Evo thanks for your response. That seams to make the most sense. With the car up on the lift we couldnt see exactly where the leek was coming from. I put in a rubber freeze plug for a temporary fix to get my car home which worked and it def wasnt leaking from there anymore. The plan is to install a new waterpump which they said will be covered under warranty. I should have my car back on Monday hopefuly runnning as well as it did before, and am also praying that the only money coming out of my pocket will be from the tow. Only time will tell...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

WOOO! My baby is back in business! The dealership replaced my Water Pump and my Radiator cap under warranty! Thank god because there is nothing worse then spending my hard earned money fixing the car rather than being able to spend it on mods, or better yet books for school