Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown engine at 81k. Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blown engine at 81k. Looking for Advice

Hello everyone,

I recently experienced catastrophic engine failure resulting in the rod and piston of cyllinder 3 opening a beautiful new window in both sides of the block! Fun times... So that is the bad news. The good news is, I recently bought my wife an 05' G35 coupe, so I have her old car to sell and buy a new engine. I have several serious questions and would like some advice from you guys. First off, I will say that my budget is around $5000. I will be doing all of my own work, so no need to figure in cost of labor. My questions are as follows:

1. Would there be any sliver of a chance that the head is still good and I can only be looking at buying a block?

2. If everything is shot, where would be the best place to look into buying a complete engine?

3. With my previously stated budget in mind, what kind of mods/upgrades would be the best bang for the buck so to speak?

I was thinking along the line of possibly getting a set of 272 cams and a slightly larger turbo. I already have most of the bolt-on mods such as: boost controller, downpipe, 3" exhaust, test pipe, cone intake, header, turbo timer, and o2 dump. Give me some ideas guys. I would appreciate any and all advice that ya'll can give me.

Dave
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm shocked it blew up with those mods...i have tons more mods with an fp green and aem and have only managed to produce a leaky headgasket with 83,000+ miles...and LOTS of hard driving and racing.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

with 5k you wont be able to buy another block and build it along with cams and a bigger turbo.. If your crank is no good thats an easy 500+ for another, rods(manley 700+, oliver 700+, pistons(je 450+, weisco 450+) New gaskets, studs, bearings, oil pump. It all adds up, even with your own labor.

I would go with either buschur or ams for their bottom end. your head may still be good but it would be a good idea to send it to the machine shop and have it checked out.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

wow sry to hear that. any idea of why that happend? im not experienced in the motor building department but there are plenty of places like bushur that sell built 2.0's n such however they are very expensive. indestructable but just out of my price range.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

contact mike at awdmotorsports for a 2.3 buscher!!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I would say AMS, I had a 2.3 stroker motor there and the car ran fantastic until I had to buy a silly house errrrr......

I do agree though that buying a complete motor and mods is going to be hard for $5k.

I would look into a stroker motor and with a stock turbo, you would be looking at a really fun daily driver with much more torque.

I would also look into the AMS 2.3RR motor, I can't remember the pricing on it, but it's a completely built race motor, good for everything.

I will find you the link here shortly...

Steve
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
wow sry to hear that. any idea of why that happend? im not experienced in the motor building department but there are plenty of places like bushur that sell built 2.0's n such however they are very expensive. indestructable but just out of my price range.
I have been brooding over what happed, and I think that either a vacuum line came off the boost controller allowing it to over boost, or a bad boost leak caused compressor surge/ detonation killing it. Not sure as of yet though, I have only began taking evertything apart and examining things.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the link to the 2.3RR Motor

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...cat=292&page=1

I know this would be my first option if I had a choice in motors.... This thing is crazy strong
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you will know if the head is bad when you take it off. You can probably score a used long block for around $3k. You could easily spend another $2k freshing it up with new internals.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

I think you should just buy a longblock. Even if your head is fine the cost of the block and machine work comes out to be close to the price of a longblock.

Used longblocks are below $3k, from what I've seen. I've seen some motors with built bottom end go for around $3k.

Last edited by omniprobe; Jan 26, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Bump^
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:46 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
New oem longblock from mitsu. You get an IX turbo, new bottom end, etc. Get the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, intake manifold ported (or DIY as you say!), and get the skunk2 68mm TB. Sell the IX head and get your VIII head rebuilt (chances are its ok, but you gotta take it apart to be sure!). Put some GSC 5039 beehives, new valve stem seals, and a set of kelford 272 cams in it, and sell the IX head complete, along with your stock turbo, manifolds, and TB...and the TB from the new motor too. Skip the o2 dump and get a SS o2 housing from buschur, unless you want an annoying-**** dump (you will get sick of it sooner or later, trust me!).

There's really zero reason to go with anything but a stock bottom end. The reason there's the IX stuff, you cannot get a VIII long block from mitsu anymore, only IX longblock. Not bad, once you sell all the extras In the end you will have a fresh OEM quality setup.

While its apart, put in a comp clutch (or similar), maybe get the tranny rebuilt. Put in those SS underhood shifter bushings while you have it all apart.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
If you wanna go a tad bigger turbo, buy a BBK outright and sell the IX turbo (or have it built into a BBK, w/e). If you go this route, you'll need bigger injectors, budget for a set of 680's, but keep your stock injectors for the initial startup. Once its running good on low boost and the stock injectors, get it tuned on the bigger injectors and higher boost Then sell your stock injectors to make back some cash.

You'll need a new oil cooler as well.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you had an evo ix you could buy a BRAND NEW full crate motor for 5K..

it kind of sucks they dont offer them for the 8 ;(

cb

new block is 1800... find a used head....

cb
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

buy a new block, send it to buschur and have them build a 2.0 or 2.3 liter. take the head to a machine shop and get it checked out (pressure tested)

then if you have money left over buy some cams

and then it's time to save for that big turbo

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Jan 26, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown engine at 81k. Looking for Advice