Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

T3 Twin scroll turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceegutta
Geoff are these guys right about what they are saying about T3 TS setups being crappy especially if you are using a TS T3 housing .83 and up with a TS exh mani?
Yes. We are.

They work for smaller engines and or low power output goals on our motors but a divided T3 requires a lot more A/R to be effective than garrett offers.

Scorke
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by scorke
Yes. We are.

They work for smaller engines and or low power output goals on our motors but a divided T3 requires a lot more A/R to be effective than garrett offers.

Scorke
wonder why... [|] vs [ ]
volume is everything
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ITS n STI
wonder why... [|] vs [ ]
volume is everything
Volume is NOT everything.

If it was the bigeest hotside on every turbo on every application would be best, HUGE runners would be optimal... lots of things.

Getting a turbo to spin is a balance of minimizing restrictions in flow, retaining heat, and retaining velocity. This is difficult to do well, and in order to do it the pieces must be individually built and or tailored to each situation.

A twin scroll manifold and hotside delivers so much more EXHAUST energy (via a couple of the benefits mentioned above) that you effectively NEED a bigger A/R to allow for the extra energy to be used up by the turbine.

Scorke
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:26 PM

Volume is NOT everything.

If it was the bigeest hotside on every turbo on every application would be best, HUGE runners would be optimal... lots of things.

Getting a turbo to spin is a balance of minimizing restrictions in flow, retaining heat, and retaining velocity. This is difficult to do well, and in order to do it the pieces must be individually built and or tailored to each situation.

A twin scroll manifold and hotside delivers so much more EXHAUST energy (via a couple of the benefits mentioned above) that you effectively NEED a bigger A/R to allow for the extra energy to be used up by the turbine.

Scorke
I'm not sold on the whole twin scroll thing. I think picking a properly sized exhaust housing in the first place goes a long way.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I'm not sold on the whole twin scroll thing. I think picking a properly sized exhaust housing in the first place goes a long way.
You may not be sold on it, but there is a reason nearly every OEM turbo application is twin scroll. The OEMs would not go through the additional cost and design complications if it wasn't beneficial. Ask any turbo engineer from Garret or BW.

The problem for us is we aren't OEMs with virtually unlimited turbo options. Our TS turbo options are very limited and the twin scroll systems are usually much more costly. The question for each of us is more a practical matter. Does one of the TS turbo options match your specific needs and does it out perform the single scroll options by enough margin to justify the extra cost.

To the OP, the BW S256 matches your goals and should be the most responsive turbo to do so.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

That is a way to put a trendy spin on it. Or it simply needs a larger a/r since the divider that runs through the exhaust housing is not calculated into the A/R ratio. Essentially reducing the overall volume of the housing when compared to an open inlet housing of the same size.

You're not the only one. It does work, just not like everyone says it does or as good as they want to believe it does. As Flava Flav once said "Don't Believe the Hype".

Last edited by Shearer; Feb 2, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
After driving and tuning my new TS HTA3582R setup, and having had a 35R with regular .63 A/R T3, I would never again settle for an open T3 on a 4-cyl engine. When it comes to transient response, there is no comparison.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

thats fine, thats your opinion, and you are entitled to that. IMO you are simply showing to everyone that youve never experienced the benefits of twinscroll and dont understand it. i will agree that picking a properly sized housing "goes a long way" but i feel picking a proper size housing is *critical* for any turbo, whether its a singlescroll volkswagen or a twinscroll sti.

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
To the OP, the BW S256 matches your goals and should be the most responsive turbo to do so.
im not a big fan of that turbo, i really recommend the larger units from BW/A

Originally Posted by Shearer
That is a way to put a trendy spin on it. Or it simply needs a larger a/r since the divider that runs through the exhaust housing is not calculated into the A/R ratio. Essentially reducing the overall volume of the housing when compared to an open inlet housing of the same size. You're not the only one. It does work, just not like everyone says it does or as good as they want to believe it does. As Flava Flav once said "Don't Believe the Hype".
Hi Ron, you must be taking your engineering cues from Flava Flav. do you rock a clock-necklace too? its never too late to get an education j/k

Originally Posted by Ted B
After driving and tuning my new TS HTA3582R setup, and having had a 35R with regular .63 A/R T3, I would never again settle for an open T3 on a 4-cyl engine. When it comes to transient response, there is no comparison.
flavaaaaaflaaaav

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 2, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

the divider that runs through the exhaust housing is not calculated into the A/R ratio.
Wrong. Where did you come up with that?

The divider wall is taken into account when the A/R of the housing is determined. At least, it is for Garrett turbos.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by juanmedina
I am saying 400 whp on pump because is the max that we think we can push on the stock engine being reliable. I can drop some pistons in to hold 500, I also have access to E85. I read some of your threads on NASIOC and it say that your 35R can out sool a 30R single scroll, so just wonder what will the 6262 will do on twinscroll if that guy spool the single scroll version by 4500. How much do you think I will make on pump gas with 6262 500whp?
I say sell the Subi.... buy and evo, problem solved right out of the box
Old Feb 2, 2009, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JKav
Wrong. Where did you come up with that?

The divider wall is taken into account when the A/R of the housing is determined. At least, it is for Garrett turbos.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, just to put that A/R thing to bed once and for all, let me clarify.

Rest assured that the "A" (in A/R) of twin scroll housings represents--like in a single scroll--the actual cross-sectional area of the actual flow paths.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

might be a good idea to explain the 'R' as well so people dont butcher that
Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

That is a way to put a trendy spin on it. Or it simply needs a larger a/r since the divider that runs through the exhaust housing is not calculated into the A/R ratio. Essentially reducing the overall volume of the housing when compared to an open inlet housing of the same size.

You're not the only one. It does work, just not like everyone says it does or as good as they want to believe it does. As Flava Flav once said "Don't Believe the Hype".
Ron, you make more twin scroll manifolds then open scroll, you said it yourself

If this is such black magic, and "Hype" why don't you stop buying into it yourself and only make open scroll housings because all the people you sell them to are forced to use divided housings, yes, but perhaps its becaue to make 800 whp on a 2.0 livable you need divided housings.

I'll take Mitsubishi R&D over the amount spent by any vendor on here on developing and testing turbo designs.

Unless I see a post from a Garrett employee themself I am going to keep believing those that bring scientific proof of its benefits to the table rather than those that throw out statements like "don't believe the hype" that I am more than willing to supply you with for about a grand

Scorke
Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
might be a good idea to explain the 'R' as well so people dont butcher that
Might be too much Hype for Ron to handle Geoff.....

Scorke

Quick Reply: T3 Twin scroll turbo?