Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Took my Evo in to dealer to get checked for whining noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009 | 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took my Evo in to dealer to get checked for whining noise

Anyways, the title pretty much say it. I just notice the sound on my way home this past weekend. It sound like the TC death whining. I took it to the dealer I got my Evo from. Told them straight that I have 3" exhaust, DP and cat delete. The service advisor said that there was a recall on the year of my Evo. I didn't ask her what the recall was. Anyways, ask her if the mod I have will void the warranty. She told me that it will void the warranty on that particular part. Told her about the whining sound that seem to be coming from the middle section. When I picked up my Evo, she told me that the tech heard the sound but when they put it on the lift but can't duplicate the noise. They want me to drive it until it gets worse. Does anybody have any clue as to what that could be??? Anyways, they did some inspection or the 99P multipoint vehicle inspection and it costs me $46.

Mod, I know this post should be in the Turbo/Engine section but seem to get more answers from the general so please forgive me for posting it in here
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 07:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
please don't blatantly post things in the wrong sections

thanks
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't trying to blantly but just that there seem to have more people on the general area that's all. Hopefully you didn't doc some points from me for that did you?
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many miles on the car?
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

45,802 to be exact. I just changed the fluids about 5,000 miles ago.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 01:06 AM

Mitsubishi sucks about warranty work... How hard/easy are you on the car? Launch a lot, auto x or just mainly freeway?
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's your T-Case, you probably have a bad bearing on the ring and pinion. I have the same issue right now and will be suing MMNA for them denying me the warranty work. They too drove and observed the sound.

Gonna be a nice thread about the whole experience from late September-who knows once I'm done with small claims...
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostinmarc4
Mitsubishi sucks about warranty work... How hard/easy are you on the car? Launch a lot, auto x or just mainly freeway?
I'm not very hard on my Evo. I did a couple of lauches during the summer at the drag strip. If I have to count, I would have to say 10 times last year?? I don't do auto x either. The sound still exist even when I ease off from the gas paddle.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
It's your T-Case, you probably have a bad bearing on the ring and pinion. I have the same issue right now and will be suing MMNA for them denying me the warranty work. They too drove and observed the sound.

Gonna be a nice thread about the whole experience from late September-who knows once I'm done with small claims...
Do you have any mods on your Evo? Did the service advisor say that warranty should cover your T-Case? I suppose for my case, I wouldn't take them to court due to I have modifications on my Evo.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi

On your MR? Hows that work with everything? Aren't you modded?