Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

car won't idle :(

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
There is a vacuum line on the BACK (against the firewall) of the intake manifold that is hard to see and easily comes off. Zip tie it back on if it came off.

Also go over all the vacuum lines, the heat from our engines likes to dry and crack vacuum lines.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks migs647, i'll check it out
Old Feb 3, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

nope, looks good, i don't think it's a vacuum leak
Old Feb 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by [GBU]Moon
is there an easy way to do a boost leak test without equipment?

thanks vvhiteix, i'll look it over better, i didn't have a flashlight at the time.
get a can or starter fluid and spray all your connections as the car is running if the idle jumps up when you spray a spot you found it. its not the best method but it can help in a pinch sometimes. check the larger vaccum line under the intake manifold on the egr valve....that one has been prone to blowing off
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

nope, looks good, i don't think it's a vacuum leak

It was suggested earlier in the thread by mplspilot.

One thing you can do, that takes about 3 minutes and can save you a ton of headache if it is the issue...as I found out the hard way.

Take off your upper intercooler pipe at the throttle body. You will see a small black plastic bulge under the throttle body inlet. This is the housing of the ISC. It stands for Idle Speed Control. It is held to the throttle body by 3 screws arranged in a triangular pattern. Unplug the ISC motor(plug is on the housing). Carefully remove all 3 screws and remove the ISC motor from the car. Looking down into the ISC motor that is now in your hand, you should notice 3 tabs around the edge of the inside. They sit in 3 grooves in the outer housing. If they are worn down at all and the ISC motor can spin freely inside the housing, then it cannot control the idle. The tabs, and the outer housing are plastic...and plastic wears out. If it is worn out, get a replacement and that should fix things.

I personally experienced a bad idle when I bought my car that the prior owner had never remedied. Turned out the ISC was long since worn out.

*EDIT* I also notice you have an 03. If you have a higher mileage car, this can definitely be the issue.

Also, as stated, make sure you don't have a vacuum or boost source open anwhere.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by GotWheelHop; Feb 10, 2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: forgot one thing.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop

One thing you can do, that takes about 3 minutes and can save you a ton of headache if it is the issue...as I found out the hard way.

Take off your upper intercooler pipe at the throttle body. You will see a small black plastic bulge under the throttle body inlet. This is the housing of the ISC. It stands for Idle Speed Control. It is held to the throttle body by 3 screws arranged in a triangular pattern. Unplug the ISC motor(plug is on the housing). Carefully remove all 3 screws and remove the ISC motor from the car. Looking down into the ISC motor that is now in your hand, you should notice 3 tabs around the edge of the inside. They sit in 3 grooves in the outer housing. If they are worn down at all and the ISC motor can spin freely inside the housing, then it cannot control the idle. The tabs, and the outer housing are plastic...and plastic wears out. If it is worn out, get a replacement and that should fix things.

I personally experienced a bad idle when I bought my car that the prior owner had never remedied. Turned out the ISC was long since worn out.

*EDIT* I also notice you have an 03. If you have a higher mileage car, this can definitely be the issue.

Also, as stated, make sure you don't have a vacuum or boost source open anwhere.

Happy hunting.
great post, this is the issue, i'm currently hunting down a new Idle Air Control Valve, the unit is over $300 at the dealer. Do you know offhand if the one off my 2003 Evo VIII is interchangeable with one from a 2005 Evo 9? For the record, my 2003 Evo VIII has 103,000 miles. Thanks GotWheelHop!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
get a can or starter fluid and spray all your connections as the car is running if the idle jumps up when you spray a spot you found it. its not the best method but it can help in a pinch sometimes. check the larger vaccum line under the intake manifold on the egr valve....that one has been prone to blowing off
Don't ever spray starter fluid on a running engine. If surface temps are high enough, such as the exhaust manifold, then a flash fire can be started. Instead, use Mass Air sensor cleaner or Throttle Body cleaner commonly available at any auto parts store.

Also just FYI the one that I told you about is off of an 06 IX but I used it on my 05 VIII for a period of time.

Josh
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Don't ever spray starter fluid on a running engine. If surface temps are high enough, such as the exhaust manifold, then a flash fire can be started. Instead, use Mass Air sensor cleaner or Throttle Body cleaner commonly available at any auto parts store.

Also just FYI the one that I told you about is off of an 06 IX but I used it on my 05 VIII for a period of time.

Josh

LoL valid point...Just try to help someone out who sounded like they didn't have the equipment for a true boost leak test
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:06 PM

Let me know if that work...I'm having the same problem.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

great post, this is the issue, i'm currently hunting down a new Idle Air Control Valve, the unit is over $300 at the dealer. Do you know offhand if the one off my 2003 Evo VIII is interchangeable with one from a 2005 Evo 9? For the record, my 2003 Evo VIII has 103,000 miles. Thanks GotWheelHop!

Anytime, man. The IACV is universal between 03-06 so you should be able to source one. Glad I could be of help, as I know troubleshooting the idle can be a bugger.

Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

you know, you should really just take the time to go make a boost leak tester... a few bucks spent will save you a **** ton of headaches, and you will always have it.. i really think youre looking at the problem, and not seeing it... check your hose clamps from top to bottom
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Check your tps, that might not be pluged in all the way, I had this problem about a weeek ago.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by marinejensen
what do u have to do if u disconnected the battery.. cause i did that and mine is doing the same thing
Just let the car sit and idle for a few mins before going out and driving... It has to "relearn" so-to-speak
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GotWheelHop

Happy hunting.
Reviving an old thread here.

Question: Should any part of the ISC move freely by hand ?

I ask because mine does not move at all.

Paul
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TIBOevo
idle control valve. theres also an idle adjuster screw on the throttle body try that. no codes?
This is the worst advise ever. DO NOT touch that screw, The idle is controlled by the IAC or idle air control valve. This screw is merely there to stop the throttle plate from closing entirely. If it were to close the enitre way it would stick anytime you let completely off the gas.

Quick Reply: car won't idle :(