Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throttle Body Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
I guess I'll have to eat my Stetson and sit at the back of the class again
LOL, yeah the lines I spoke of were the soft lines from the t-stat neck to the hard lines for the turbo, they get spongy. I've done plenty of turbo swaps on evo's btw. I do own one you know
Old Feb 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by neonglh
What is the purpose of the coolant going to the throttle body? If its anything like the LS1 setup, its for cold start driveability, I believe. This has to affect performance slightly though, since the throttle body is being heated up. I would go out on a limb saying we would be able to just not run these two lines and the car would be fine.

This is all assuming that its purpose is to heat the throttle body for cold driveability, and not another purpose though. Thoughts?
That's what it is for. In cool humid weather, if you stay out of boost, the throttle plate may ice up. DSMers have a long habit of using one hose to bypass the throttle body but I wouldn't recommend this unless you live in a mild climate.

Also, inside the DSM throttle body is a wax thermostat to control coolant flow. It shuts off flow when the engine is hot. This probably is also true for the Evo but I have never looked.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_eagle
LOL, yeah the lines I spoke of were the soft lines from the t-stat neck to the hard lines for the turbo, they get spongy. I've done plenty of turbo swaps on evo's btw. I do own one you know
Thanks for cutting me some slack after my lame post! It made me realize that I just have to back away from the keyboard and get out to the garage more often. Maybe I'll even pop the hood and tackle that turbine housing swap which I just never quite get around to doing. Just old and lazy. It's the sixty winters that are adding up and taking their cumulative toll(F**K!)! I owned my first turbocharged car back in 1975....But, that's another story.

At any rate, are the rubber coolant hoses for the turbo, configured with special bends, which means buying factory pieces, or can we just buy the required length of generic hose at the autoparts store? Thanks!

Last edited by sparky; Feb 1, 2009 at 08:01 PM.