Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throttle Body Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Throttle Body Coolant Leak?

Trying to chase down missing coolant and occasional green puddles, I refilled the overflow, put the front in the air and started looking. Found a green puddle around the top of the hose at the TB. I wiped it clean and attached a picture after I'd done so.

I found a puddle on top of the trans, behind the motor and took a pic.

Are there any other leaks that could puddle back there? I just can't find any other leaks so far, or evidence of dripping/splashing/squirting coolant other than that location so far.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Coolant Leak?-tbcoolantleak.jpg   Throttle Body Coolant Leak?-tbcoolantleakpuddle.jpg  
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2 lines that goto the throttle body seem to get very spongy after time and cause leaks. I had one of those lines split on me a few months back. I couldn't believe how spongy they were when I replaced them. Same goes for the 2 coolant lines for the turbo, those tend to get spongy after time as well so I would check those too.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks - reclamping the TB coolant line for now and will test. Hope there's some decent aftermarket options that will last...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

^^I just went to my local autoparts store and got some 3/8" or 1/2" fuel line, it seems to be a bit tougher and thicker then the OEM lines and will handle allot more then the spongy crap.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Drove for a while tonight. The screw-style hose clamp is holding for now. I'll give it more work tomorrow and make sure the radiator is topped off.

Fuel line doesn't sound like a bad option. I'd just rather replace every damn coolant line at once with the same, quality material - silicone or otherwise. She's got just over 70,000 miles on her...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the lower hose from the radiator can leak and the coolant will get the from spraying and also driving. ive pretty much had to change all my coolant line on my car from them breaking or swelling as well.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_eagle
.....Same goes for the 2 coolant lines for the turbo, those tend to get spongy after time as well so I would check those too.
Naw, think again! The coolant feed and the coolant return lines to and from the turbo on the Evos are both steel hardlines. I guess that you've never done a turbo swap on one of these cars before.

When you stop and think about the radiant heat generated by the turbocharger's turbine housing, as well as the exhaust manifold, in addition to the heat transfered to the center housing, then you would discard any possibility of rubber hoses existing in such an infernal environment.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 31, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
by your pictures it seems that the rubber hose clamp is weak,,, that its why most evo owners have gone thrue leson learned and they use small worm clamps in those areas on both lines under the TB
Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
Naw, think again! The coolant feed and the coolant return lines to and from the turbo on the Evos are both steel hardlines. I guess that you've never done a turbo swap on one of these cars before.

When you stop and think about the radiant heat generated by the turbocharger's turbine housing, as well as the exhaust manifold, in addition to the heat transfered to the center housing, then you would discard any possibility of rubber hoses existing in such an infernal environment.

Slow down there Sparky!

Throttle Body Coolant Leak?-resized-turbo-coolant-hoses.jpg

The lines directly attached to the turbo are hard steel lines however they then connect to soft rubber lines that go to the side of the block over the transmission. See the connections circled in the picture.

Josh

Last edited by jmelocik; Feb 1, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
Drove for a while tonight. The screw-style hose clamp is holding for now. I'll give it more work tomorrow and make sure the radiator is topped off.

Fuel line doesn't sound like a bad option. I'd just rather replace every damn coolant line at once with the same, quality material - silicone or otherwise. She's got just over 70,000 miles on her...
Mitsu recommendeds replacing all coolant hoses at 60k (there are eight hoses).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Mitsu recommendeds replacing all coolant hoses at 60k (there are eight hoses).
Lovely.

Thanks, barneyb. Anyone know of any decent aftermarket alternatives?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
Lovely.

Thanks, barneyb. Anyone know of any decent aftermarket alternatives?
you can get some nice aviation rubber stainless steel braided aviation lines and replace them, ebay has these very cheap.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Slow down there Sparky!.....The lines directly attached to the turbo are hard steel lines however they then connect to soft rubber lines that go to the side of the block over the transmission. See the connections circled in the picture......Josh
I guess I'll have to eat my Stetson and sit at the back of the class again
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

What is the purpose of the coolant going to the throttle body? If its anything like the LS1 setup, its for cold start driveability, I believe. This has to affect performance slightly though, since the throttle body is being heated up. I would go out on a limb saying we would be able to just not run these two lines and the car would be fine.

This is all assuming that its purpose is to heat the throttle body for cold driveability, and not another purpose though. Thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by neonglh
What is the purpose of the coolant going to the throttle body? If its anything like the LS1 setup, its for cold start driveability, I believe. This has to affect performance slightly though, since the throttle body is being heated up. I would go out on a limb saying we would be able to just not run these two lines and the car would be fine.

This is all assuming that its purpose is to heat the throttle body for cold driveability, and not another purpose though. Thoughts?
If you try Search you find discussions on this. I've had enough winter days/nights below zero to justify keeping it hooked up.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Coolant Leak?