Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

re-adjusted clutch pedal.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-adjusted clutch pedal.

hey guys,

i have an ACT hdss with RRE flywheel.I decided to adjust the clutch today after 5k miles.I did,acording to the how-to.I adjusted it to where it feels good going into every gear,but I did notice a BIG difference in engagement point.Now,it engages closer to the firewall,like 3-4 inches away.Is this ok?Before,it was higher.Thank

pj
Old Feb 2, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Engagement Should be very near the floor. If it was high to begin with you have a problem, most likely you had air in the lines. Bleed the lines again and see if this helps.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

dont forget that you need some pedal play..........
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:49 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer it to be near the firewall. yes it is okay!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03RRVIII
dont forget that you need some pedal play..........

yea i know....i have alittle pedal play.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the response!i'll look up how to bleed the clutch line right now,and probably do it tomorrow morning!thanks
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i adjust mines almost to the top. that way i know it going to disengage when i push down.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

wait... no wait. if you had a problem with it engaging into gear you would rather the clutch pedal grab further away from the fire wall. I just adjusted mine because i had the issue with it not going into gear now it works like a charm. I adjusted the bolt clockwise...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

like j14mp said your going to want engagement towards the top of the pedal this way when you push the clutch to the floor it pushes the most clutch fluid thru the line to the slave cylinder in turn disengaging the clutch as much as possible which means clean and crisp shifts!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

THe HDSS has a lower engagement point than my previous Exedy Stg1-gruppe-s and probably even lower than the OEM clutch.

I just installed a HDSS-Gruppe-s combo in my car this weekend and didnt re-adjust my pedal and the engagement point moved down a few inches - it actually feels like a normal car now. It starts engaging about 1" off the floor. Nice!

I checked the engagement of the HDSS on the lift. In gear with clutch fully depressed with tires in the air you can rev the entire rpm range without the tires moving, and there is 2mm's of free play at the top of the pedal. With the exact same pedal adjustment, my Exedy Stg1 engaged at the absolute top of the pedal with 2mm of free play and no lockout. I'll have to see if the HDSS needs a higher engagement point to avoid lockout once break-in is complete.

When I originally set my pedal rod length I followed the Jack's transmission video, and found the maximum rod length it could go and still be able to push fluid back to the slave cylinder, and then I bled the slave cylinder. This ensures maximum fluid transfer when pressing the clutch pedal. I think I might have shortened the rod 1 full turn from the maximum point, to find the sweet spot that it shifted all gears smoothly.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 3, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pjb00stin
thanks for the response!i'll look up how to bleed the clutch line right now,and probably do it tomorrow morning!thanks
don't do it! it is not the air. if it is air, you don't have pedal play as well as can't shift gears. it is the nature of the beast, and I have noticed that since I bought my evo "brand new" in 2006.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

^ I agree, it doesnt sound like you have a problem at all. The engagement point of the HDSS is just lower (closer to firewall), it's a good thing. Are you experiencing gear lockout or some other problem?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
^ I agree, it doesnt sound like you have a problem at all. The engagement point of the HDSS is just lower (closer to firewall), it's a good thing. Are you experiencing gear lockout or some other problem?
ok!good thanks sblvro!!!problem im getting is sometimes just normal driving i get 2nd gear lockout.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j14mp
wait... no wait. if you had a problem with it engaging into gear you would rather the clutch pedal grab further away from the fire wall. I just adjusted mine because i had the issue with it not going into gear now it works like a charm. I adjusted the bolt clockwise...
HMMM>..good point.how many threads of the rod are showing through the little bracket.

Quick Reply: re-adjusted clutch pedal.