Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust help!!!

Hey, i was wondering how the HKS hi-power cat-back exhaust worked for the evo 8, sound? quality? fitment? also wondering what the best cat and DP would be with that catback? I was thinking an ultimate racing high flow cat and had NO idea which downpipe to purchase with this setup, ANY input would be appreciated, thanks alot!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

This subject/decision is proving quite frustrating for me also.

There are so many exhaust choices out there it's nuts! Considering the prices range from 500 to well over 1000 for an exhaust system, you kinda want to get it right the first time.

Personally, I'm looking for something that may not be louder or much louder than stock, but I want the flow and the HP/Torque increase!

I've seen one video/sound clip that seemed like it was a fairly accurate presentation of the loudness and quality of the exhaust system, but the next guy might have his mic turned down lower and his system, even though louder, may sound quieter! So it's really a hard thing to buy over the internet!

There's hope that some of the guys here on the boards will give their opinions about their exhausts and hope that their impressions will be similar to YOUR impressions if/when you get the exhaust.

Take for example, the Vishnu Signature exhaust. A lot of guys are saying, "yeah, it's way louder than stock." But the sound clips and even some others make it sound just a bit louder than stock. Who do I believe!? Tough call.

Tough decision. Just remember when you guys out there see the exhaust questions popping up on the boards over and over again, there's real people behind these frustrated calls for help wanting a person with a good ear and good judgement to help us out on our decisions!!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:48 PM
Account Disabled

http://www.hksusa.com/info/media.asp?id=1764

Video of a EVO VII equiped with the hi power catback. Doesnt seem to be very loud at all.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well I ordered the Buschur full 3'' from turbo back, and man its LOUD. Im really happy with the power gain, but just trying to adjust to the loudness of the system. I had full 3'' on my Eclipse, but man this is loud! My little girl who is 2&1/2 gets in it for the first time and says "Our car is a Motorcycle" I laughed so hard. Anyway, I am going to order the high flow cat, in and see if that helps, currently the straight pipe is just LOUD. I am currious to see if I put a different type of muffler on, has anyone that ordered the Buschur exhaust, replaced the straight pipe for a high flow cat nottice any difference in the sound? Or has anyone with the exhaust bought a different muffler with it? I notticed at the Buschur site they have under the exhaust section that they will/can use a different muffler with there system....... Anyway..............??
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Exhaust help!!!

Originally posted by chris86530
Hey, i was wondering how the HKS hi-power cat-back exhaust worked for the evo 8, sound? quality? fitment? also wondering what the best cat and DP would be with that catback? I was thinking an ultimate racing high flow cat and had NO idea which downpipe to purchase with this setup, ANY input would be appreciated, thanks alot!
hks already came out with us spec evo8 parts and the hi-power catback they are selling now clears the bumper no problem but u still have to get an 02 bung welded on to it.i have an rmr catback paired with the rmr dp and a perrin cat-delete so its alittle louder than the standard catback since putting a downpipe and taking out the pipe makes a really high flowing set-up.but its all to your preference and to your budget and planned set-up.but as for now all jdm exhaust has been w/o a 02 bung since they are less strict in japan.usdm exhaust come pretty much a direct bolt-on out of the box(rmr/buschur/vishnu/b&b/etc.)so have fun researching.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by ChrisS.
Well I ordered the Buschur full 3'' from turbo back, and man its LOUD. Im really happy with the power gain, but just trying to adjust to the loudness of the system. I had full 3'' on my Eclipse, but man this is loud! My little girl who is 2&1/2 gets in it for the first time and says "Our car is a Motorcycle" I laughed so hard. Anyway, I am going to order the high flow cat, in and see if that helps, currently the straight pipe is just LOUD. I am currious to see if I put a different type of muffler on, has anyone that ordered the Buschur exhaust, replaced the straight pipe for a high flow cat nottice any difference in the sound? Or has anyone with the exhaust bought a different muffler with it? I notticed at the Buschur site they have under the exhaust section that they will/can use a different muffler with there system....... Anyway..............??
My brother ran the car with just the test pipe for a couple of weeks and then added on the cat (he also has a Buschur exhaust). It makes a HUGE difference, with the cat on the car is not that much louder than stock. It also didn't seem to hurt the performance much.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

if you are looking for big gains in power than look at the B&B system. They reportedly had gains of 25hp with just their cat-back (maybe a dp too, not sure) system using the stock cat. From the sound clips and people that already have the system, it isn't LOUD at all. It is a brand new system though, so not many people have it. But the power gains are very impressive.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Exhaust help!!!

i was told the hks evo 8 exhaust came with the o2 bung

is that a fact or not?

Originally posted by evo_dadi

hks already came out with us spec evo8 parts and the hi-power catback they are selling now clears the bumper no problem but u still have to get an 02 bung welded on to it.i have an rmr catback paired with the rmr dp and a perrin cat-delete so its alittle louder than the standard catback since putting a downpipe and taking out the pipe makes a really high flowing set-up.but its all to your preference and to your budget and planned set-up.but as for now all jdm exhaust has been w/o a 02 bung since they are less strict in japan.usdm exhaust come pretty much a direct bolt-on out of the box(rmr/buschur/vishnu/b&b/etc.)so have fun researching.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The b&b looks to be a sweet exhaust and everyone who has it is pleased with their quality. I can confirm that they are top notch by seeing these exhausts on a few 300zx's and M3's. There are minimal bends and full polished stainless steel.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

B&B exhaust looks a little funny with that angled tip out of the muffler...does that come out okay on the car?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BeenWaitin4Evo
B&B exhaust looks a little funny with that angled tip out of the muffler...does that come out okay on the car?
the tip is angled cuz the muffler itself isn't perpendicular to the bumper, it is also at an angle. The bend in the tip allows the tip to look perfect against the bumper, not angled at all. It does look weird when it isn't installed, but when installed
Old Sep 17, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

I just received my Buschur exhust and I will be installing tonight or tomorrow morning. I purchased the high flow cat and it will be bolted to the exhaust on the install. I really have no use for the test pipe. I will let you know how loud it is, and the tone it has.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 02:35 PM

Hope this helps everyone with the way the B&B Tip looks. The entire system looks fantastic...

This is BishiBoys Evo when we had it here...
Hope I posted the pictures correct, first time posting any pics...

Enjoy!

Virt

Old Sep 18, 2003, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

how big is that tip, 4 inches? I'd do a search or something, but I am feeling really lazy right now
Old Sep 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
bs
Evolving Member

i don't believe that is 4 inches. it looks smaller.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help!!!