Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing begins "Project White" a wicked street build.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009 | 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

well on the web site the maf pipe says dont use inless you have a speed density setup. i kinda just want to know what that means? thanks
Old Feb 27, 2009 | 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
well on the web site the maf pipe says dont use inless you have a speed density setup. i kinda just want to know what that means? thanks
Speed density is when you switch the car over from running from mass air to running the car off of a map sensor. The most common example of this is switching from the stock ECU to the AEM EMS.

Unless you upgrade the turbo to a unit that requires you to use a larger mass air pipe the factory plastic tube works great. On cars that are running cams and an aftermarket intake pipe sometimes "turbulence" can be caused with the mass air flow sensor causing some drivability/idle issues. This is not a real common occurrence when still running the stock intake tube.

You're not going to pick up big gains by running the pipe. More people do it for looks or because they actually NEED a larger pipe.
Old Feb 27, 2009 | 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I need this car
Old Feb 27, 2009 | 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Speed Density is now available for the stock ECU. The guys in the ECUflash area have it up and running with a pretty straight forward patch to the ECU code, a JDM MAP sensor, and manifold air temp sensor. AEM what?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...y-patches.html

This MAF pipe can also be tuned with ECUFlash using MAF Scaling and idle tables.

Speed Density is brand new in the stock ecu though, probably best to start with the MAF and some of the more standard ECUflash tricks like dual mapping, knock control tuning, ECU controlled gear dependent boost etc.

Last edited by jid2; Feb 27, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009 | 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone who would like a double bend MAF pipe or a single bend MAF pipe is welcome to order it from us, jid2. We simply recommend for a stock turbo application to stick with the stock MAF pipe, especially when running a cam larger than the HKS272's to ensure a good smooth idle and no stalling. I'd rather have a happy customer with a nice running car than to make a few dollars on a MAF pipe I know could cause them problems.

I see a lot of tuned stock ECU's come through our shop and I have yet to be 100% impressed with a single highly modified EVO using the stock ECU. That is just what I have seen and my opinion. I keep hearing about them but haven't seen it yet.

I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a suggestion for a customer of ours.
Old Feb 27, 2009 | 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

saleentones, a car like this is a simple phone call away
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 12:09 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: ArmyFCOTM Winner

Cool to see what goes into a build of this caliber. Im getting ready to switch to E85 myself, can't wait to wake the car up!
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

I see a lot of tuned stock ECU's come through our shop and I have yet to be 100% impressed with a single highly modified EVO using the stock ECU. That is just what I have seen and my opinion. I keep hearing about them but haven't seen it yet.

I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a suggestion for a customer of ours.
mmmmm so mellons car is not impressive??
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 03:22 AM
Account Disabled

another great build by the experts.

where did you get the Bottom HVAC new kit from?
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Would you guys consider gold plating the cylinder head bowls and the top of the valves ? I just seen this on a different forum and thought it was a good idea.

Or would you be worried about it flaking off and doing damage ?

Just curious where you stand.
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Those are some nice volks...

Did the previous owner put those on before you go the car?

WADAD
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

YES Mellons car is very impressive actually. Also seems to run perfectly. I guess for some I need to be more specific. I have not had a car here at our shop that I have driven on the stock ECU that was highly modified that I was impressed with completely. Is that better for you?

The previous owner put the Volks on the car.

I see no reason to coat the pistons tops or valves.
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

^^ fair enuff.. have you had a chance to really try to tune the stock ecu in a big HP setup?? or just not worth it cos the standalone's gains are much better??
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

No, I have no attempted to personally tune a high HP EVO on the stcck ECU. This project will be my first attempt at a fairly high strung application.
Old Feb 28, 2009 | 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Learn a lot from this project so we can make my car a beast this year

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing begins "Project White" a wicked street build.