Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

not sure on which clutch to buy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure on which clutch to buy

want something that is very grabby with a very stiff pedal feel please tell me what will work the best
Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had a friend go through the same thing. I am very impressed with the ACT HDSS. my friend ended up going with it and it is greaaatttt! I thoroughly plan to buy one for myself when the time comes. As long and your gonna be making 450whp or less it's fine. AND THEY HAVE CRAZY DEALS ON THEM HERE...

PM- importdps

They are having a crazy blowout on them with extremely fair prices!

So Less than 450whp...ACT HDSS
More then 450whp Exedy Twin or the ACT XDSS

G/L
Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Quartermaster Twin Disk>all
A little noisy and hard to drive at first, but it grabs like no other, its amazing.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quartermaster is very "grabby" but the pedal feel is softer then stock and will handle insane amounts of hp
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah it is softer, my friend has an ACT clutch and its really hard to push in, really makes shifting suck! With the quartermaster it's like butter touchy, but it grabs like no other!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coolguyuno1
Quartermaster Twin Disk>all
A little noisy and hard to drive at first, but it grabs like no other, its amazing.
I drove a friends car with a Quartermaster. Im placing my order for one next week.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 666 EVO
I drove a friends car with a Quartermaster. Im placing my order for one next week.
Your gonna be happy, I suggest you buy the clutch from Maperformance from Adam let him now I told ya. They are the cheapest and make sure you get everything you need!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have to say I love the Exedy Twin Disc HD, a bit noisy but i was pushing 500 whp and it would handle a bunch more, heavier pedal than stock for sure.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have a Exedy stage one single disc very grabby and very firm pedal. Had the car on the dyno last sat and the guy running the car had a hard time with it, he even stalled... TWICE lol
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy twin disc....is what I went with
Old Feb 4, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thee stig
want something that is very grabby with a very stiff pedal feel please tell me what will work the best
Why do you want a clutch with a stiff pedal? Grabby could also be defined as chattery and difficult to drive in traffic. It's possible you should use some other criteria to decide which clutch to buy.

How much power does your car make? Drag Race? Road Race? Do you drive in traffic? What's your budget?

I just installed a HDSS-MB7 this weekend and so far I like it. Pedal is a little stiffer than stock, light chatter, it's rated at 500+ ft/lbs of tq and most people on here claim good wear characteristics. I only have 100miles on mine so I'm still breaking it in. Also it lowered my engagement point and shifting is clean and crisp.

Originally Posted by JdMeVo4
I have a Exedy stage one single disc very grabby and very firm pedal. Had the car on the dyno last sat and the guy running the car had a hard time with it, he even stalled... TWICE lol
I agree, sadly the Exedy Stg 1 fits the OP's request. Mine lasted 12K miles with about 10 1/4 mile passes. By comparison my OEM clutch lasted 24K miles with 30-40 1/4 miles passes and a track day. IMO, the Exedy Stg 1 is the worst clutch choice for the Evo. I really wanted to believe it would suit my needs, but due to it's poor wear characteristics, heavy pedal, chatter, I deem it complete JUNK.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 4, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

I purchased the ACT Street Disc Clutch with the Streetlite flywheel. I bought it as a combo package form lancershop.com for under $800. I have absolutely no regrets so far and I've had it on my Evo IX MR SE for about 7,000 miles. Only thing I would advise you is that make sure you get a very knowledgeable and reliable person to install the clutch for you since it's a very complicated task. I had my local Evo tuner do the install and he did a superb job!!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coolguyuno1
Your gonna be happy, I suggest you buy the clutch from Maperformance from Adam let him now I told ya. They are the cheapest and make sure you get everything you need!
Yeah I have been talking to Adam. He gave me a great price and thats who I'm going to deal with.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Why do you want a clutch with a stiff pedal? Grabby could also be defined as chattery and difficult to drive in traffic. It's possible you should use some other criteria to decide which clutch to buy.

How much power does your car make? Drag Race? Road Race? Do you drive in traffic? What's your budget?

I just installed a HDSS-MB7 this weekend and so far I like it. Pedal is a little stiffer than stock, light chatter, it's rated at 500+ ft/lbs of tq and most people on here claim good wear characteristics. I only have 100miles on mine so I'm still breaking it in. Also it lowered my engagement point and shifting is clean and crisp.

I agree, sadly the Exedy Stg 1 fits the OP's request. Mine lasted 12K miles with about 10 1/4 mile passes. By comparison my OEM clutch lasted 24K miles with 30-40 1/4 miles passes and a track day. IMO, the Exedy Stg 1 is the worst clutch choice for the Evo. I really wanted to believe it would suit my needs, but due to it's poor wear characteristics, heavy pedal, chatter, I deem it complete JUNK.
My stage one exedy also went sooner than the stocker did...20,000 miles sooner with less launches. Exedy said I would have to send them the clutch to see if it was a defect. They said it should have handled the power I had. Like Mr. Evo IX said its the worst clutch for the evo hands down. Now I have a cusco twin and love it. Cheaper than the exedy twin hd and it has the same tq rating.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:14 PM

I am about to install my MB7-HDSS and Streetlite flywheel. All the positive comments make me feel glad I went that direction. I will post driving impressions soon.

Quick Reply: not sure on which clutch to buy