Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need to know about a motor swap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to know about a motor swap

i just wanted to know if anybody knows if there is a year where an Evo (any year) motor lines up with the same year lancer's motor mounts. if there is a kit that will help or if anybody has already done a swap like this could you tell me what you had to go along with the swap. I want an Evo but just don't have the money. Then I thought of the idea to buy a lancer and just motor swap it with an Evo motor.

Thanks for your help and please let me know what you had to do and maybe any Kits you had to use.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
swapping a 4g63 into a lancer is going to end up costing you more by the time you get it worked out

evo's are dirt cheap now a days
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One, search, your going to hear that a lot here.
Two, everyone is going to say "Don't waste your money, buy and evo" now thats out of the way, I say go for it, don't listen to them.
Three. Your answer. The transmission mount is the same, the rear transmission/roller mount needs to be changed to evo one. should bolt right up. front transmission/roller mount and wishbone needs to be changed to evo one. As for the motor side mount, everyone has made their own. Its not that hard. I found a better option. You can get the part that you weld in place of the old one and makes it into an evo mount.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

there was a dude that turned his mirage into an evo w/ awd and everythin but i was expensive. if u want the the 4g63 i suggest get one from an old school eclipse GST and get some custom motor mounts. im not sure if anyone tried it but i know its cheaper than gettin a evo engine. which could run u about $3k alone jus for the engine
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you want awd, the 5g Mirage/6g Lancer is the platform for you. the 7g Lancer like ours is not because the rear end is just so much different.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Not trying to sound retarded but 5g you mean like the engine or the year. I just went on youtube and I looked up Mirage with evo engine they called it MiragEVolution and so many searches came up. 1 guy said the steering/suspension and some minor floor plans had to be changed but he said it's pretty easy. I think personally It'll be a little cheaper and I get awd power with a little sleeker body style. Thanks Juan and boondoc for the reply. Everywhere i went people said don't even worry about it go get an evo but I don't have evo money. Let me know if you know anykind of kits or anything. or other key thins i should know let me know. Thanks

Im kindof new to mitsubishis but always loved em so i don't know what 5g or 6g or 7g is. If you could just let me know

Last edited by Acebankai; Feb 7, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I know there are no "kits" for doing the swap. I was told you basically need to change the whole front clip. Want AWD turbo and don't have Evo $$$...I will probably get flamed for this...go buy a wrx, if it needs to be a 4G get your self an Eclipse GSX. The Lancer 4G63 swap is going to cost you lots of $$$ not to mention time, and finding someone with the ability to do it right is going to be difficult. Remember the Evo engine turns counter clockwise, opposite of the Lancer engine.

Lets do the math... OEM long block Evo 4G63 =$6000, $2500 for the Transmission, $2400 for the Transfer case, your at $11000 and you don't have rear diff, axles, ecu, ect. This is cost for new components. lets say you can find them at half price your still at $5500 with out the above mentioned and alot more. My advice, save you lunch money and buy the Evo.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I can do it right im in school for auto so i got patience but just want an evo buy any means necessary. Thankx though. i guess i'll be saving my money for a while if i want to buy an evo. Or should I just get a 97 Mirage or a 01 Lancer????

Last edited by Acebankai; Feb 7, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

From what i understand the 2004 Lancers in some european countries had the N/A 4G63, u can research that a little more. Here is the thread with the Evo swap https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-iii-swap.html and also this is another thread wid someone takin the the 4G64 from an eclipse https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...02-lancer.html there is talk about bolting the 4G63 head onto the 4G64 block so that might help u a bit. I think u should go for it cause anything can be done but ppl are afraid to try things. That is one thing i give to Honda owners they are down to try anything that might help them. If i had the experience and a 2nd transportation my Lancer would be a beast right now.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

That guy with that mirage he uesd an evo 3 hood right? Well in that case I just might get a 95 Mirage and do what he did. hey thankx boondoc. Because seriously the factory 95 Mirage hood sucks.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

hahahaha buy an evo nowadays...you better off trying to find another job just so you can pay for your car right now.

anyways, you guys just dont know how good it is just to do an evoswap. alot of guys are swapping out the old(good condition) then in with the new Buschur or ams engine. in which i might add their selling it for dirt cheap. which is something to look into. TRE selling their fwd evo8 t.case for 400 bucks including shipping. both engine fusebox harnesses id say about under 300+. you can pretty much use all your ps and radiator. i dont think especially the engines going for cheap its not gonna cost alot. its everything after the fact you got your engine in! take it from me.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Well what are you driving. You started out w/ Mirage too?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Acebankai
That guy with that mirage he uesd an evo 3 hood right? Well in that case I just might get a 95 Mirage and do what he did. hey thankx boondoc. Because seriously the factory 95 Mirage hood sucks.
ur welcome. i think he did use the evo hood.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=downshift411;6665769]
anyways, you guys just dont know how good it is just to do an evoswap. alot of guys are swapping out the old(good condition) then in with the new Buschur or ams engine. in which i might add their selling it for dirt cheap. QUOTE]

Those engines they are swapping out are used for the core charge and are given to those shops. The core charge for the short block is usually around $1800, cost of a new block.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

5g Mirage/6g Lancer where made from 97-02 in America, I think 96-01 or 02 in Japan and other places. That style is the best one to do the swap on.

Quick Reply: Need to know about a motor swap