Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Death Wine----this time not the front!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures!

So, you had the whine as well under deceleration? Were you hearing it from the front side then to the rear? I hear mine in the front then the rear when deceleration around 3k rpm in 5th gear. Not sure if it's both or not.

Anyhow, any suggestion is a plus. Which one should i get check out first?

Originally Posted by dxbevo9
ALRIGHT GUYS..AS PROMISSED...HERE IS THE UPDATE!!

with the help of my mechanically inclined friend..today i replaced the rear diff and noticed sooo much wear and tear after inspecting it...and after the test drive

VIIOOLLLAAAAAA.....no more whining...my evo is a non whining whoore..not anymore!! woohoooooo

thanks all for the support..this is like one of those stories with a happy ending!!

i will try..** if i remember ** to take pics and post em tommorow

regards..
Moosa
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

mine was whining wherever i put my ear...if i try to listen to it in the back..the whine sounds like its coming from the back..if i try to listen to it in the front...the whine comes from the front...

my car would whine on accelaration,coasting and decel...however..each of these had a unique whine to it...in coasting...the whine is discreet...meaning it sounds like this: whhiiinnee..2 sec silence..wwhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeee...2 sec silence....whiiinee...silence...whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiineeeee

in acceleration it is consistant and directly proportional to my speed...ie. the faster i go the louder it gets.. like this:whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneee.

on decel: its kind of a little bit of both...mostly a continious whine though.

hope this helps..
i will try to post pics soon.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:48 PM

i'm going to UTI, and alot of whine issues in general cars come from the bearings... generally pinion bearings in the case of the way of it increasing with speed... which is a duh... lol... personally, i would check the rear diff first in any case... just drain the fluid and check for shavings on the plug... i should be taking my pinion bearing out tomorrow from my rear diff... i'll keep you guys posted... (im trying to eliminate getting a tcase and it not fixing the problem) and i know i have metal coming from something besides the rear diff ring and pinion...

there are alot of torque specs so do it right if you do it, and you have to get a new crush sleeve or washer... (rear pinion)
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:51 PM

i took the pinion out today... bearings are great... pinion and ring wear is great... looks like it has 10k miles on it... did find a problem in the spider gears... my friction discs in the stock lsd are burnt and there is slack on one of the spider gears... you can move the gear in and out without rotation... i have no clue how this could be a whine... could just be another problem, but what i need...

does anyone have a rear ring gear and carrier??? all i need is the carrier assembly, my ring gear is fine, it could be off of a rear end with a shot gear for all i care, i just need the carrier...

318-308-4989 or post up...

everyone have good luck on your probs...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

well I have a problem but only happens when am going fast, lets say around 150mph, when I reach that speed the car starts to whine, and it comes from the front.

I have a 6 speed tranny, now I can't shift to either 3rd or 4th, am gonna get a 5 speed soon, but I wanna check if that sound coming from the tranny or T-case so I can fix it before getting the 5 speed tranny swap done.

Can anyone help me out
Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpeeDeviL
well I have a problem but only happens when am going fast, lets say around 150mph, when I reach that speed the car starts to whine, and it comes from the front.

I have a 6 speed tranny, now I can't shift to either 3rd or 4th, am gonna get a 5 speed soon, but I wanna check if that sound coming from the tranny or T-case so I can fix it before getting the 5 speed tranny swap done.

Can anyone help me out
ewww..hahah...what you are hearing is not a whine!! hahahha
i have seen that problem with every evo i have driven at that kind of speed..atleast 5 different evos....it is a wind hitting the rubber sill (sp?) on your roof...or the rubber between the door and the body shell. dont worry!!!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

are you sure man, is sound exactly like a death whine, am really worried here
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

am pretty damn sure...

if it is as you descrubed to me...if you want me to be more sure..drive at that speed and let a passenger get a vid. and share ..

make sure u stay safe!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have a video but it happen while I was racing and I might be band from the forum if I put it and I don't want that
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

send me the link to my pm
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to resurrect it but I got the whine and my buddies dad said my car was leaking fluid from the rear. Will the T-case or Rear diff go from normal driving after the problem occurs? I do not have the knowlegde to check the diff myself. I will prolly go to Shepard for the T case if that is the issue.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:57 PM

been emailing shepherd back and forth... tcase for the stage 1 (a little better than stock) shipping and rebuild totals in at $1665.00

not bad considering the ring and pinion alone cost 1200 dollars...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Sorry to resurrect it but I got the whine and my buddies dad said my car was leaking fluid from the rear. Will the T-case or Rear diff go from normal driving after the problem occurs? I do not have the knowlegde to check the diff myself. I will prolly go to Shepard for the T case if that is the issue.
if your car is leaking fluid, find out from where... the diff fluid is VERY important for any kind of life...

and yes, after it starts its only a matter of time... just depends on how long... mine lasted a very long time, but others havent been so lucky...

downside to your problem, you cant be sure which one is your problem... diff or tcase... what i would recommend is pulling your rear differential drain plug... check and see if there are alot of metal shavings on it... if so, thats where you start... if not, then you better start talking to shepherd because its almost a guarantee its your tcase...

good luck, and keep us posted...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

^^ +1
Old Mar 14, 2009, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

i have the whine problem too. i took it too the dealership and they said it was the rear diff. luckily its covered under warranty. they got the diff in yesterday and called me today and said that they replaced the rear diff but they are still hearing the whine. they think its coming from the tranny but not sure the tech is going to check it out some more. hopefully it's covered under warranty:{

Quick Reply: Death Wine----this time not the front!!