Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

OK, so my evo9 is all messed up...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK, so my evo9 is all messed up...

Alright guys I didn't know where this would be appropriate to post so general will have to do.

This is the saddest story most of you have ever heard so get ready. I bought my evolution last year used and lightly modded. Four months later it ran out of coolant rapidly and overheated catastrophically.

I had it slide-backed to the mitsu-dealer and they told me that the engine is ruined, the turbo is no good and it needs a new radiator/hoses.

I had almost no warning that it was failing on me other than the night before it was running warm, and the morning it gave up it was acting funny just before it died when I put the clutch in.

The dealer did not want to investigate the reason it was losing coolant and immediately was trying to push me into spending 10,000 dollars on a new motor, radiator and turbo.

I went to a local performance shop (which are rare here in alaska) And they gave me hope saying they had never heard of an evolution overheating this way, and assured me they would put it back together (as the dealer left it undone with random parts and pieces filling my trunk) and they would find the leak and it would be fine.

Since then I have started working out of town on a rotating schedule and have the time to do some investigating of my own. I need some help figuring out where to start however. Even though I have automotive experiance, none of my previous projects have been this complex (or as valuable to me!).

As of now I know that the timing belt is off, they removed all my coils, and my turbo assembly is all loose (hoses, LICP, UICP, ect).

Me and my dad are thinking they left the car in this state to discorage us from attempting to start it and that is really crappy right?

I bought the car from the second owner who had bought the car from an auction. Totally stupid right? It had been stolen and had various parts stolen from it (seats, intake, stereo...stuff like that). The guy I bought it from had put about 3500 bucks into it before he decided to leave state and sell it. He put the MR seats in, lower and upper IC piping, 3 inch TBE with a cat del... It sounds awesome and hauls ***! I miss it terribly.

Anyways, if anybody has ever heard of my problem, or has any useful input please help me out!

Thanks for all the other great posts!

Bill

Last edited by billevo1x; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: No signature?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

sad dude
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

For someone like you this forum is your friend. Read read read. Do many searches on topics related to your problem, talk to people. Sucks for you, but be positive and learn as much as you can.

btw, , , I bought my evo wrecked and got it all fixed and ready to go only to find out the block had been cracked in the wreck. So I had to pull the motor, locate a used block and modify an VIII block to work with a IX head, swap out the rotating assembly and I'm just now getting it back together after7 months.

Just be positive.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sprx19
For someone like you this forum is your friend. Read read read. Do many searches on topics related to your problem, talk to people. Sucks for you, but be positive and learn as much as you can.

btw, , , I bought my evo wrecked and got it all fixed and ready to go only to find out the block had been cracked in the wreck. So I had to pull the motor, locate a used block and modify an VIII block to work with a IX head, swap out the rotating assembly and I'm just now getting it back together after7 months.

Just be positive.
Thats insane! Thanks for the encouragement, I have been gleaning alot from all the posts. Its torture to learn about getting the most from your upgrades and not have seen the glow of the instrument cluster in the dash in so long. Good luck with your car, sounds like you've been through plenty yourself!

Bill
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

damn man that sucks.
how did you not notice the coolant leaking, didn't you smell anything?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

that sucks
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:40 AM

Try put all mechanical timing on time and reconnect all the hoses. Refill all the fluid and start the car and let it idle then look for the leaks. I don't think there will be much damage for overheating the motor.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't mitsu have a recall on the water pump leaking a while back? You might look into that.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the recalls were for the 2003 and the 2005 evolution 8 not the 9.

http://www.autorecalls.us/aut-02/rec...ion/index.html
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:40 PM

Wow! I think that and best of luck man are about all I can muster.