Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comp Cams 280+ and stock valve springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Comp Cams 280+ and stock valve springs

Just wanted to share some info, there is another thread where I was trying to find the problem with my car sooting up the #1 plug and sounding like a Subaru while doing it, after all the troubleshooting was done, I found a broken valve spring on the Exhaust side of the #1 cylinder.

Here's some pics of the damage:

As you can see, the coils have bound up and become out-of-line with each other, just for reference, here's what they should look like:

As you can see, 7 coil wraps are visible stacked nicely, unlike the top picture. Underneath, there is no visible damage to the valve or piston, even after cleaning. Just to be safe the head is going in to be checked out fully.

After speaking with a few people, it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to with these, when I bought them I was drawn in by the price and that they were said to work with the stock valve springs (comp tech line and vendor)

I will say this, I got like 15,000 miles out of them, but they really work the max out of the stock springs. Other people I've talked to have only gotten 8000 miles out of them. FYI, my rev limit is 7800rpm and max boost is just over 30.

I'm looking at the FP Beehive springs now, and would recommend anyone else looking at these cams to be aware of the possiblity of spring failure with the stockers.

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from everything ive ever read there is no way the stock valve springs would last very long with those....then again any time you upgrade the cams it makes sense to upgrade the springs and retainers...My idea is that it's not a matter of if it can handle it, but for how long...
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting; I've had my Comp 280's on for just over 2 years but only about 6,000 miles.

I guess I might invest in some springs and retainers shortly.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I had my for 3 years on it with no problems at all until I pull 8k rpms with the red, so if anybody wants these cams do your self a favor get springs and retainers
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:34 AM

just bringing old thread back lol,mine just did same thing(exhaust valve #1 cyl.). only thing is mine had crower springs/retainers
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoll
just bringing old thread back lol,mine just did same thing(exhaust valve #1 cyl.). only thing is mine had crower springs/retainers
that sucks! You have the Brian Crower spring and retainer kit and it broke?

How many rpm's and what boost pressure?