Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another one bite's the dust 850R again.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Philthy748
all have REAL ENGINEERS designing, testing, and bringing twinscroll technology to market for a very good reason, it works better for 99% of us for they way we utilize our vehicles!
I will say this...having an engineering degree does not make you any smarter than someone that doesn't

all it means is you went to school and passed standardized testing to get a piece of paper with your name of it.

just because it works on paper does not mean it will work down the 1/4 mile or on a race track...hence why dynos will always be nothing more than a tuning tool

since you mentioned full race specifically, what have they achieved that ams, awd, or buschur haven't?

absolutely nothing
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philthy748
Yet they run them on their cars, FP Green & FP Red are both twinscroll as are the stock EVO turbos

99% of the people on this forum don't give two poops about 1/4 - they drive their cars on the street, autox and/or road course... Their is absolutely zero comparison between a twinscroll and a single scroll in these applications...

I just love it when someone posts a 1/4 time and all of a sudden they are the industry experts on what's good for everyone in every application...

Mistu, Garrett, BW, Full-Race, etc... all have REAL ENGINEERS designing, testing, and bringing twinscroll technology to market for a very good reason, it works better for 99% of us for they way we utilize our vehicles!

Ill say it once again.. 4094 right off the bat is a horrible turbo for an evo I dont care if twin, triple or quad scroll and which so called engineer says it works great.. Theere are much better single scroll t3 options for 99% of the mitsu owners that are not just drag racers.. Just wait for the Precision Billet 5757 turbo.. Outspool just about anything and still will have some ***** to make 600+ is my guess..

Mike
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW that's nut's,

I agree that the fine tuning can be worked out on the streets or on a dyno. But that's as easy as swapping parts, and making minor adjustments through testing, alot of the time guessing. It's funny how car tuners switch parts constantly trying to get the combination right.

The real work is done by the engineers who do the physics, crunch the #’s, design the machinery and make the molds. Machine the final product and mass produce. For a particular application

A good Engineer measures twice and cut's once doing it right the first time, and the results are confirmed when the result equals what was expected from the mathematical calculations.

As a Tuners we add Variables by, using a 2.3 motor instead of a 2.0, HKs cams vs Kelford, this turbo vs that turbo........etc. This causes different results that are not be expected, Hopefully good but sometimes bad. It's a guess, sometimes a good guess.

If an Engineer were to take all of the variables into the equations for a particular setup, they would be able to calculate exact results.

Remember these setups are all different there are a 100 different ways to setup your vehicle. Not to mention different driving styles. That's very apparent on these forums.

There is always testing involved to confirm results. The mathematics of automotive Engineering/mechanics, are straight forward, and basic. It's pretty difficult for an average person, but it's not Rocket science

I grew up in a family of engineers, and work daily with them it's annoying, I'm the kind of guy that likes to swap things out to see what happens"pluck and play". The engineers I'm speaking of would do the math, and then the build to confirm their results.

Last edited by D420mac; Feb 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly and all fairness the unless their desigining EV most of the engineers in the automotive industy are kinda low on the totem pole.

The best engineers wouldn't bother with automotives there is not enough money in it and it really hasn't changed that much in the last 50 years. Who in the world really cares about making a faster gas guzzeling automobile? Heck lot's of racers are losing their sponsors

Physics engineers, aeronautical engineers, biological engineers, and electrical engineers are where the money is.

The future is unmanned aerial vehicles, robotics, super fast processors, space exploration, longer lasting batteries, bionics, and better energy sources.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supersonic turbo?

Gee good thread, sorry I missed it.
I never saw a decent explanation of the failure modes that would have caused a turbo failure like this. All I saw was a lot of comments about turbo overspeed for extended periods of time.

The damage you can see in the pics looks like the leading edges of the compressor wheel just got peeled back by FOD. The rest of it looks ok. So to me it just looks like FOD, but seems like most of the people posting blamed it on extended overspeed.

OK. So what actually happens, step by step, when a turbo is destroyed by overspeed?

Nobody mentioned speed of sound. I wonder if this type of damage is what happens when the inducer tips go supersonic for extended periods? The top speed lines of big turbos like a 42R are, when you calculate it, putting the inducer tips at about the speed of sound. Suggesting that these things are not designed to go supersonic.

What about stress concentrations at the leading edge where those tool paths run off the edge? Combined with the low fatigue strength of aluminum, combined with high number of stress cycles at 110,000 or so shaft rpm? If the LE is seeing buffeting due to the tips exceeding speed of sound, maybe the LE disintegrates due to rapid fatigue?

Or is the first cause turbo bearing failure, which then allows the shaft to wiggle around too much? Would be very interesting to know if the turbo bearings were still ok after this debacle.

C'mon, there must be somebody out there who knows how this stuff works!

I see some of the more knowledgeable people in here have "account suspended". I vote on that.

Gary

Last edited by Talonboost; May 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM.