Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kenne Bell boost-a-pump

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenne Bell boost-a-pump

Has anyone tried to use a kenne bell boost-a-pump? they work great! i got one i am about to install on my car. It is a voltage amplifier that boosts the fuel pump voltage from 12-13 all the way to 18+ volts on the street version and 20+ volts on the competition version. I know what you thinking... This would burn the pump out. I talked to the head tech at kenne bell and he says that the pump actually last longer because as voltage goes up,amps go down. Not only that but the unit is activated by a pressure switch so it only ups the fuel pump voltage under boost. I figure that this will up the pump capacity around 25-30%. I tune for some mustang guys and this product seems to work really well!
There are many other advantages to this as well. The biggest one is that with "BIG" pumps there is what is know as fuel octane loss. i am going to quote this straight from kenne bell.

" If at all possible, avoid fuels that contain alcohol as an octane booster. Alcohol,being more volatile than gas,tends to evaporate and lower fuel octane.Large in tank pumps re-circulate excess fuel at idle ,part throttle and cruise. This results in hotter fuel and increases alcohol evaporation (octane reduction) from not only the recirculation but the continuous pressureizing and depressureizing of the fuel. This is why some companys like ford and GM have gone to returnless fuel systems. To reduce fuel octane loss!"

I believe this unit sells for about $250 and i think its a great way to get that extra out of your current 255 fuel pump.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories...boostapump.htm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris Mellon has experience with these Boost-A-Pump gadgets. You might do a search on, "Mellon", &, "Boost-A-Pump".
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I know there is more to it then just buying a Bosch 044 pump and dropping it in, but wouldn't that $250 be better spent on a better pump?