Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE Transmissions.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYCFJV7
I am very interested in this, I need a rebuild of my 6 speed and would like to make it as strong as it possibly can be. I've gone through this entire thread and seen that there is no concrete information about ANY built 6 speed here, let alone TRE's version. From what I can tell there's a whole lot of people who would like to know cold hard facts about drivability, durability, and how it stacks up against the 5 speed as far as mph and hp figures, including myself. Concrete information people, if you've got some please post it, we'll eat it up.
+1 Very well stated

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I find my stock one really notchy but then again my shifter and clutch might have a lot to do with that. What fluid do you have? Might want to change that. I did an amsoil swap and mine was night and day.
I've noticed my 6 speed to get notchy and almost lock me out of 6th after my twin disc Exedy + road coarse driving, but the harder you drive it (esp. trackng) the more frequently the fluid need to be changed, and different fluids react differently, obviously... My notchy problems went away after a change to Milspec recommended fluid for my 6 speed.
Aside from all that, the 5 speed is notoriously more notchy than the 6 speed and doesnt shift as smoothly from what I have read and been told by everyone I know who has driven both...
makes me wonder if it is similar to the difference between my 6 speed and the one in my dad's '08 civic SI.... those 6 speed Honda trannys are the most buttery smooth trannys I have ever driven why can't everry tranny be so smooth!?

Originally Posted by miragevo
Any updates on the 6 speed?
+1
TRE? Any release date or specs yet? Anything (including any insight or ball park numbers would be great)

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Jun 11, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
+1 Very well stated

I've noticed my 6 speed to get notchy and almost lock me out of 6th after my twin disc Exedy + road coarse driving, but the harder you drive t the more requently the fluid need to be changed, and different fluids react differently, obviously... Aside from that the 5 speed is notoriously more notchy than the 6 speed and doesnt shift as smoothly from what I have read... makes me wonder if it is the difference between my 6 speed and the one in my dad's '08 civic SI.... those 6 soeed Honda trannys are the most buttery smooth trannys I have ever dirven
I hear you on honda's having one of the best transmissions. I had an S2000 and after driving that the evo has always felt like garbage to me. Some laugh at me when i say the evo is notchy but they just don't have anything else to base it off of.

I have seen a lot of interest after I mentioned the built 6 speed from TRE but has anyone ordered his new gearing? I am still saving up at the moment but I am sure a lot of you have had the money and wanted this done. We need updates.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you on honda's having one of the best transmissions. I had an S2000 and after driving that the evo has always felt like garbage to me. Some laugh at me when i say the evo is notchy but they just don't have anything else to base it off of.

I have seen a lot of interest after I mentioned the built 6 speed from TRE but has anyone ordered his new gearing? I am still saving up at the moment but I am sure a lot of you have had the money and wanted this done. We need updates.
Didn't even know it was out .
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

When I talked to him last he said the minute I was ready he could put it together. Said he has been running that gear-set for over a year now.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone got the EXACT pricing on this?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

well from his own mouth he said $1500 plus the rebuilt fee of $875 and add parts depending on the condition of your trans.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I have felt the Evo 5 speed can be notchy. The 6 speed has never felt notchy to me, except for that damn 1-2 shift...nothing a little Castrol SynTorq LT couldn't fix. I am glad DJ Brett has had a similar experience. I now have almost 108,000 miles on my OEM 6 speed transmission.

But since I will be sporting a MIL.SPEC 2.2 motor at some point in the future, I want the insurance this upgraded gearset will bring me
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an S2000 and after driving that the evo has always felt like garbage to me. Some laugh at me when i say the evo is notchy but they just don't have anything else to base it off of.
That's really not a fair comparison. I would hope the S2000 has a better feel as it has a true linkage and a longitudinal drivetrain layout. A cable driven FWD setup the Evo has is handicapped from the jump by inherrent design.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
That's really not a fair comparison. I would hope the S2000 has a better feel as it has a true linkage and a longitudinal drivetrain layout. A cable driven FWD setup the Evo has is handicapped from the jump by inherrent design.
well said
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I was talking about the 6 speed in the Civic Si, which is transverse layout (for FWD, same transverse layout as the evo)... but the SI's 6 speed feels just as smooth as the 6 speed in the s2000 I have driven... and I actually think my MR tranny shifts pretty smooth, but has nothing on those Honda tranny's

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Jun 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I sent him an email a few weeks ago and still have not gotten a response. I'm probably going to need my 6spd built really soon. I don't want to go 5spd either nor do I want to pay to go back to the stock strength.

Kind of hoping he responds.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I was talking about the 6 speed in the Civic Si, which is transverse layout (for FWD, same transverse layout as the evo)... but the SI's 6 speed feels just as smooth as the 6 speed in the s2000 I have driven... and I actually think my MR tranny shifts pretty smooth, but has nothing on those Honda tranny's
Yeah, the Si feels pretty good, I don't know about as good as an S2000, but sure. I'm thinking by the Si being FWD and the Evo being AWD its still not a fair comparison. And similarly Cobras, CTS-Vs, LS1 Camaros feel clunky to me as compared to an S2000, but then an S2000's trans doesn't have to deal with the torque those cars put out.

I wish all Evos were as silky as the MR is.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 16, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

BUMP- any updates on the different gearset for the MR yet? No changes to the TRE website as of yet...
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:45 PM

Just sent an email to Jon, hoping to hear back soonish. I'll post when I get word (or not).
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know.

Quick Reply: TRE Transmissions.