Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE Transmissions.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
They are giving you a warranty to protect against defective parts. If your racing and breaking the trans every two weeks do you really expect them to pay to fix it when you were driving improperly.
Then what's the point of getting my tranny built by them???/ might as well go to the dealer!!!! aftermarket tranny builders are suppose to be better.

Also,
Two points jumped at me while i was reading thier site;

1) They are saying that they are not warrantying any of the material they are using " Damage to any parts resulting from defects in material such as inclusions in the steel/Aluminum will not be covered under any warranty from us or the supplier" , but in thier rebuild description they are saying that they will be using stronger material! don't u think they recive material billet certificates if they buying "strong" material???? and that they should warranty it? I am just wondering!

2) They are advertising that thier trannies have been tested to withstand high powers " The fatigue limit is conservatively rated for 425ft.lbs of torque yet this transmission has proven to withstand 650ft.lbs making them ideal for high torque stroker engine applications.", what are they expecting u to use ur stroker built motor for? driving to and from work?????

I am not bashing them, however, I am questioning thier description, I belive I have the right to do so unless an explanation is provided by the vendor. this is why we have those discussion forums.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Question, why does it matter whether if the cars are AWD or not for the tranny to be smooth? or performance especialy when iam shifting at 3k rpm?
btw, in case i sound mean in my questions, i appologize , nothing personal , iam just pissed off trying to find the actual cause/solution to this whole mitsu tranny. I wish i worked on their platform.

Thanks
Just the inherent design characteristics of a FWD biased AWD trans, versus a car that might not has as tight/close ratio gears with as many synchros, or as light a flywheel or designed to handle as much torque and without as many differentials.

Nobody warrants parts used in racing applications, just against defects in their work. A dealer won't warranty a stock trans thats been abused and raced either.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Just the inherent design characteristics of a FWD biased AWD trans, versus a car that might not has as tight/close ratio gears with as many synchros, or as light a flywheel or designed to handle as much torque and without as many differentials.

Nobody warrants parts used in racing applications, just against defects in their work. A dealer won't warranty a stock trans thats been abused and raced either.
Yes I understand that the dealer won't warranty racing, but what's the point of advertizing that ur transmisions can handle 650 trq if u cann;t even warranty it??

and not warrantying any material defects?? its sounds like some BS to me!!! its like a plan B clause in thier warranty so incase they decided not to warranty anything and don't wanna personaly offend u and put the blaim on ur driving skills, then they use the material excuse eh!

Last edited by detroit pistins; Feb 26, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes I understand that the dealer won't warranty racing, but what's the point of advertizing that ur transmisions can handle 650 trq if u cann;t even warranty it??
Dude, there's really no other way to explain it to you. By word of mouth with the number of people using them you can form your own judgement of wether or not TRE builds good transmissions. You can also find out that they do hold up under big power. But that doesn't mean "free transmission" if you go out and blow one up on the drag strip by missing a shift or doing too many AWD burnouts on dry pavement. It just doesnt work that way.

You have to pay to play and if you want a warranty, stay stock.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Dude, there's really no other way to explain it to you. By word of mouth with the number of people using them you can form your own judgement of wether or not TRE builds good transmissions. You can also find out that they do hold up under big power. But that doesn't mean "free transmission" if you go out and blow one up on the drag strip by missing a shift or doing too many AWD burnouts on dry pavement. It just doesnt work that way.

You have to pay to play and if you want a warranty, stay stock.
I understand what ur saying, and i agree with u that if u misshift or u don;t know how to drive then they shouldn't be warrantying such a thing. its not fair for them to warranty it if u drive like a lil kid.

however, my questions are with regards to the two points above, on the stroker motors and on the material warranty.

Lets leave it at that. no point of us spinning the wheel here unless one of TRE's guys can explain it to us.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It be nice if he showed up!!!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The material defect portion of the warranty absolves them of covering "damage to any parts" which basically means if Speed Racer over there manges to grenade his tranny with a 7k clutch dump and the shrapnel takes out the fuel line which catches fire and burns the entire car, TRE doesn't owe you a new car.

They can't warranty a tranny up to 650ftlbs for racing applications because NO ONE can test all of the possible ways that transmission can fail on a racetrack with that much power. And since they have no way of knowing how the failure actually occurred (driver error, too much power, endurance racing, etc) they can't be held liable for it's replacement.

That being said, if you're reasonable in your expectations and use, and it does still fail, then they're reasonable with the warraty coverage or with working with you to get it repaired for a decent price. That's all you can ask for from any vendor. If mitsu won't even warranty a transmission on a stock car with an aftermarket clutch after all of the R&D, financial reserves, and engineering skills they have dedicated to covering that tranny, you can't in all fairness expect a small business to warranty their work without exception either.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for anyone else's 6speed rebuild from TRE!!!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

I Love my 6 speed and i am also running a bit of torque...
lets see how it holds out, but if it craps it self seems like the 5 speed option is the only solution.
1st 2nd 3rd gear on the 5sp and the 6sp are pretty much the same, just that 4th 5th are the week ones.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have to be honest and say NO, they are ur honda/ford daily drivers.
ford uses a very thin oil in their tranaxle assys. most use atf, the focus uses a full syn fluid that is around the same weight as trans fluid. that is why you don't feel a difference between hot and cold shift feel. evo's of course use a much thicker oil, so it's not really a shifting "issue" as it is a normal part of the trans operation for ANY trans using gear oil. you have to be realistic about what you have different beasts all together.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:49 AM

Anyone heard anything from TRE yet? I too have had no luck.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Jon was working on a stronger gearset for the Evo MR transmission, but with him going back to college I am not sure if that is still going to be an option.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Jon was working on a stronger gearset for the Evo MR transmission, but with him going back to college I am not sure if that is still going to be an option.
I doubt it.. We're doomed It be nice if shep came out with something.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can some one post his e mail for me or PM it to me. The send link on their site doesnt work so I cant get ahold of him (always at work cant use phone).

I plan on getting my T-case and rear diff rebuilt by TRE. Maybe the trans if I can figure out how much a stock 8 trans can hold power wise.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Can some one post his e mail for me or PM it to me. The send link on their site doesnt work so I cant get ahold of him (always at work cant use phone).

I plan on getting my T-case and rear diff rebuilt by TRE. Maybe the trans if I can figure out how much a stock 8 trans can hold power wise.

Here you go Bud. Good Luck.

http://www.teamrip.com/contact.html

Quick Reply: TRE Transmissions.