Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build

I enjoyed reading jid2's thread about his stroker build so much that I decided its time to build a motor. Part of the reason I am doing a 4G64 is because I don't want my car to be down for months while the block is getting machine work. This way I'll be able to get the short block completely built before the car gets pulled apart, and hopefully just swap the blocks out. I also want a high revving big displacement motor like the 2.3RR, but I don't want to spend $9k, so I'm building my own.

Specs
-4G64 block
-Eagle 94mm crank
-Manley 162mm turbo tuff rods
-Custom Wiseco pistons (9mm less compression height)
-ACL bearings

This will give a better than stock rod/stroke ratio of 1.72/1 and should be safe to at least 8,500 rpm. It will also give a displacement of 2.23L.

So far I've bought the rods, brearings, and crank, and I've found the block at a local dismantler. I am picking the block up tomorrow and I will order the pistons once I measure it and decide between 87mm or 87.5mm bore.

I'll keep track of what I spend and try to give everyone a good summary with pictures. This is only the second engine build I've ever done, but I think it should be a good time.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
yummmy, are you gonna get the block machined for oil squirters?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
yummmy, are you gonna get the block machined for oil squirters?
Yes sir. And I forgot to add, I'm undecided as to what c/r to go with, so some input from everyone would be appreciated. I want to go higher, but not sure because of the crappy 91 gas around here. I'm hoping to eventually have E85 available.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I am also doing a similar build. I have posted bits and pieces about it here and there. Good luck on it. Wait till you see the pistons, they are a trip:

If I had it to do over I would think about the 156 for a steel rod motor or one you plan on driving daily. The other option is a 159mm rod with the 94 or a 162mm and 92mm.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I am also doing a similar build. I have posted bits and pieces about it here and there. Good luck on it. Wait till you see the pistons, they are a trip:

If I had it to do over I would think about the 156 for a steel rod motor or one you plan on driving daily. The other option is a 159mm rod with the 94 or a 162mm and 92mm.

Why would a shorter rod make a better dd? Forgive my ignorance if its obvious, I'm new to engine geometry stuff. And as for the pistons, them are seksy. Who made them? They look exactly how Wiseco explained them to me over the phone. They said I would have to run an oil ring support rail because the pin is underneath it. I thought about running a 156, but I thought since I'd have to get a piston built anyway, I might as well go with the longer rod. And I didn't want to have custom rods built, seems like the turnaround is a lot longer and they are more expensive.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

These are JE customs. I have read, but havent tested at this point, that the high wrist pin might be a little problematic. I intend to put it through its paces in testing so it wont get babied. A big turbo of some variety will find its way on the other end of these.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

^I just read your thread about c/r and piston tech. Very interesting stuff. The problem is, when I read new stuff it makes me even more confused and unsure what I want to order. Pretty funny that we're doing pretty much identical builds though, at least as far as general specs go. Do you think 9.5:1 is a reasonable c/r for a motor that is going to run 91, and eventually e85? Good luck with your build, I'll be sure to keep up on it.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I plan on running the stock ECU and seeing how far I can go with that.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsevo
I enjoyed reading jid2's thread about his stroker build so much that I decided its time to build a motor.
NICE! The long rod build should have a few more tricks involved compared to mine.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsevo
I enjoyed reading jid2's thread about his stroker build so much that I decided its time to build a motor. Part of the reason I am doing a 4G64 is because I don't want my car to be down for months while the block is getting machine work. This way I'll be able to get the short block completely built before the car gets pulled apart, and hopefully just swap the blocks out. I also want a high revving big displacement motor like the 2.3RR, but I don't want to spend $9k, so I'm building my own. .

and your about 4 days early for our Long Rod stroker kit release.. 4G64 option or 4G63.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
and your about 4 days early for our Long Rod stroker kit release.. 4G64 option or 4G63.
Lol, figures Well I'm curious to see what you guys are offering.

I picked the block up today and tore it apart, so its ready to go to the machine shop. I took pictures and I'll post them tonight when I get home. It is out of a 2001 Eclipse.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
NICE! The long rod build should have a few more tricks involved compared to mine.
Other than oil squirters and custom pistons, I don't think it will be too big of a deal. The block was cheap and came with a good crank, so that should cover the cost of the block. And Wiseco quoted me $550 for the pistons, which I think is really reasonable. When all said and done, the Manley rods are by far the most expensive part in the motor.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

What turbo is this getting?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
What turbo is this getting?
That part I'm really not sure about yet. I want a really fun street car, but I also want the ability for big power. I was considering a TS 4094, but I'm not really sure. I may just run the stock turbo until I know exactly what I want.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the pics of the block.
Attached Thumbnails 4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build-100_1409.jpg   4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build-100_1410.jpg   4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build-100_1414.jpg  
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early shots, we will make a full post on it in a few days... pricing is going to be in the low to mid $3k and Our crank is actually a Fully Billet crankshaft not a forged unit..

Quick Reply: 4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build