Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Retune after Fuel Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retune after Fuel Pump Install

Do I need to retune after i install my Walbro 255 Fuel pump? Would I need a fuel pump? Here are my mods so far.

Full TBE
HKS Intake
Manual Boost Controller at 26psi
Road tuned on 100 octane

Last edited by vegasevo9; Feb 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

No You dont really need it. Wont hurt of you use it but you must get tuned for it.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should get a tune after any performance mod. Any. It's "_ALWAYS_ worth the money in the long run.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol yea right you need to upgrade fuel pump if you plan on rocking more power thats the first thing so get one and install it. NOOOO you dont have to tune it after every part that is completely stupid and a waste of funds. install a host of parts then get it tune some of us dont live near any tuners so thats kind of a drive for a tune not to mention how much they charge for a retune. even if is only 150 adds up. so get some parts installed then tune. Take alook at my sig i have NO tune car runs perfect. your car will run richer with the 255 installed and no tune will not hurt it. You just are not getting peak preformace blah blah blah you can live with that So get like 5-7 engine mods then tune etc unless your one of those that has to have it running at its max after every little part then go ahead and get it done. ill tune mine for the first time after i finish engine build im in no hurry and im not racing anybody so ill take my time

Last edited by RockmanX; Feb 24, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
lol yea right you need to upgrade fuel pump if you plan on rocking more power thats the first thing so get one and install it. NOOOO you dont have to tune it after every part that is completely stupid and a waste of funds. install a host of parts then get it tune some of us dont live near any tuners so thats kind of a drive for a tune not to mention how much they charge for a retune. even if is only 150 adds up. so get some parts installed then tune. Take alook at my sig i have NO tune car runs perfect. your car will run richer with the 255 installed and no tune will not hurt it. You just are not getting peak preformace blah blah blah you can live with that So get like 5-7 engine mods then tune etc unless your one of those that has to have it running at its max after every little part then go ahead and get it done. ill tune mine for the first time after i finish engine build im in no hurry and im not racing anybody so ill take my time
So you're saying you're running a tbe, intake, a whole intercooler kit without a tune and you're suggesting others that this is the right way of doing it?

So you spent 2000$ on mods to gain about 50% of the power you should have gained from your mods.

Edit:

The point of getting a tune is getting your car optimised. Everyone explains running rich as something completely fine, while lean is bad. It's bad in both cases. You're wasting fuel, you're not making power that you should be and you're killing your sparkplugs.

Last edited by Toxin; Feb 24, 2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vegasevo9
Do I need to retune after i install my Walbro 255 Fuel pump? Would I need a fuel pump? Here are my mods so far.

Full TBE
HKS Intake
Manual Boost Controller at 26psi
Road tuned on 100 octane
Where are you getting that 100 octane fuel from? Do you DD your car?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
So you're saying you're running a tbe, intake, a whole intercooler kit without a tune and you're suggesting others that this is the right way of doing it?

So you spent 2000$ on mods to gain about 50% of the power you should have gained from your mods.

Edit:

The point of getting a tune is getting your car optimised. Everyone explains running rich as something completely fine, while lean is bad. It's bad in both cases. You're wasting fuel, you're not making power that you should be and you're killing your sparkplugs.
+1 all those mods + no tune= losing so much power
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back on topic for the OP...NO you do not NEED a 255 lph pump for your mods, however if you opt to put one in, it is a good idea to have it tuned for it as you will be getting more fuel in the combustion chamber after the install.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are already tuned and install a fuel pump, you should get a retune. The higher flowing pump will change the AFRs at WOT and skew the fuel trims for closed loop.

Since this shift in AFR will be to the rich side, it's not really a danger to the car, but you will likely lose power from the richer mix.

Talk to your tuner about the cost of a retune for the FP. If it's just an AFR fix, it might not be very expensive at all.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune is always needed after adding mods to get the full potential of it. However it's stupid to have it tuned after every little thing you add. Wait until you get a nice group of mods bought, install them, and then tune.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:43 AM

for a fuel pump my answer is NO.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
touringbubble hit it on the head

you'll run richer

it's not a hard install I'd recommend holding off until you do more mods or can afford a tune

installing a fuel pump and driving the car around for an extended period of time will kill your gas mileage and power output
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
touringbubble hit it on the head

you'll run richer

it's not a hard install I'd recommend holding off until you do more mods or can afford a tune

installing a fuel pump and driving the car around for an extended period of time will kill your gas mileage and power output
Yes, this is what i'm thinking too.... I think that just hold back until you get all the mod you need and one time tuned.... if not, your car will be running richer....
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys for all your help. I will get retuned after i install new cams and a fuel pump.

Last edited by vegasevo9; Feb 24, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ruff Ryda
Where are you getting that 100 octane fuel from? Do you DD your car?

I get it from Rebel. I dont daily drive my car. I use it for about 100 miles every month.

Last edited by vegasevo9; Feb 24, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Retune after Fuel Pump Install