Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throttle Hang?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009 | 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Throttle Hang?

hey guys,

ive noticed that at higher RPM's(anywhere above 5000 rpm's) when I let go of the gas, my RPM's keep climbing,maybe a good 300rpm's .Someone said it was caused my something called a idle control valve(not sure if thats what he said)?? I was watching videos on youtube and noticed some evo's dont do that.I've also heard that it was normal.

Heres a quick little video of mine I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0pJ...eature=channel

you can here when I let go of throttle and here the RPM's jump up.Maybe its because im untuned at the moment?

my mods list is

full turboback less o2 housing
evo ix turbo
walbro fuelpump
K&N filter with MAF adapter stock intake pipe
forge MBC
ACT clutch and flywheel

thanks for any info!

pj
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

are you sure they arent jumping up because you are pushing in the clutch before letting off the gas? If the RPMS are just staying high then its normal on evos. I asked about this a couple of months ago. Apparently there has been a ton of threads on this. Just search the title of your thread "throttle hang"
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

isnt the throttle hang there for emissions reasons?
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 10:14 AM
EvoM Moderator

Adjust your driving style My car did this when I first got it too....somehow it magically went away with more practice! You may also consider just going to tephra v5 and doing NLTS, that helps with this too
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input guys!

accullay,its not my driving style.How do I know?because when i bring my RPM's up,and let go of throttle,without pushing the clutch in,it still goes up.
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

You need to scale down the idel stepper table using ECUflash. I had the same problem, actually much worse. But is gone now. Only down side is no cold start, you have to hold the pedal to get the revs up during a cold start.
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
You need to scale down the idel stepper table using ECUflash. I had the same problem, actually much worse. But is gone now. Only down side is no cold start, you have to hold the pedal to get the revs up during a cold start.

ouch really?I guess i'd have to take it to finally get tuned then.i'm just too light on cash.

is it something I should be concerned about?I mean,I dont drive the car hard like that too often.
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pjb00stin
ouch really?I guess i'd have to take it to finally get tuned then.i'm just too light on cash.

is it something I should be concerned about?I mean,I dont drive the car hard like that too often.
Well for me it was a problem, because at the track during braking before corner entry i was braking against the throttle and cooking my brakes. Not to mention i didn't get the engine braking i was after. So i guess it depends on you. It bothered the **** outta me though.
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Well for me it was a problem, because at the track during braking before corner entry i was braking against the throttle and cooking my brakes. Not to mention i didn't get the engine braking i was after. So i guess it depends on you. It bothered the **** outta me though.
totally understand!when im auto-x i can feel it a tad bit,too.So if I get the idle stepper adjusted,then I'd have to sit there while it warms up?
Old Feb 26, 2009 | 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pjb00stin
totally understand!when im auto-x i can feel it a tad bit,too.So if I get the idle stepper adjusted,then I'd have to sit there while it warms up?
You have to sit there holding it at ~2k or what ever you want till it warms up. Or else it'll die. But i have 272's so maybe a different out come for you