Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mishimoto intercooler

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which model is the above, S-Line or R-Line? Was it a lot of work to get the universal make to fit the EVO? And what kind of difference did you notice/measure?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am interested in the product because it is hundreds less than seemingly comparable intercoolers.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using a very similar, if not the same, intercooler as the Mishimoto universal M line. This one has "EMUSA" on the top and bottom and I bought it from a vendor "speed racer" on Ebay.

I can´t compare it to others but can say that it allows me to run my Evo 5 turbo up to 28 psi peak, tappering to 19 -20 psi at 8000 rpm. I run with 98 ron pump gas and decent amount of timing. My car has many other mods that could influence the result and maybe I could be making more power with better intercooler, who knows. Currntly at about 360 - 370 whp and 345 - 350 wtq with Dynojet mode on Virtual Dyno.

In a couple weeks I will have an IAT sensor installed as part of going to SD, that will give me a better idea of the post intercooler temps and tell me if its all good or if I should upgrade. I liked the Delta-fin design for better air flow. I think it is safe to say this intercooler is at least equal or better than OEM.

Oh, and fitment was good in my Evo V.

Ricardo
Old May 13, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

If your using a stock foot print turbo just run the stock intercooler. You will loose Tq by installing an aftermarket intercooler. TQ wins races.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

I bought their black series intercooler in the same size as factory for evo Viii except 3inches thick ti help cut down on heat soak. It fit perfectly with no modification necessary and the car at least feels better now. I don't have any dyno results though. The quality is pretty impressive for the size.

Also Mishimoto isn't an ebay brand, it is a name brand (mostly made through their radiator sales) that happens to also be sold on ebay. I bought mine through a local performance shop.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Lets be honest, people are always going to spend money on pointless things; i.e. wasting money on pointless crap is an American tradition. Nevertheless, I highly doubt this intercooler will help the evo in any way. The stock intercooler is a perfect solution for the stock frame 8/9 turbo; it fits obviously, is a quality piece, and has held its worth year in and year out.

If you want to get an upgraded stock frame turbo, like the FP's, which cost over a thousand dollars , why spend hard earned money on a pos cooler? If your staying with a stock frame turbo, why replace something that rest in perfect harmony with your setup? Consequently, I just realized that this post was a waste of time, as I live in America which means that you, my colleagues, are going to go out and waste your money regardless.

Last edited by REV.olution; Jan 5, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

I calculate all expenditures before I make them, and do plenty of research. I factor in build quality (longevity), price, shipping, potential resale value, future and current goals.

I read reviews from Powerstroke (Ford Diesel), Honda, and dsm sites before I ever bought this intercooler. That is a significant cross section which means they wouldn't most likely be biased in the same direction.

Mishimoto intercoolers had positive reviews from three distinctive communities. The company is involved in legitimate racing teams, sponsoring drivers like Chris Rado, Chris Forsburg and a dozen others. Thus it stood to reason based on the facts presented that they are a reputable U.S. company (even manufactured in the U.S.) and they would be worth purchasing from.

Furthermore, in my case my factory intercooler was damaged and needed to be replaced. It stood to logic that buying a giant ETS or other $600+ intercooler would not only be a rather large expenditure but would also be a severe determent in the form of pressure drop.

This is all aside from the fact that the only size gradient (.5 inch thickness) that I in particular went up, was suggested in this sticky when upgrading intercoolers to reduce heat soak https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

Last edited by shadovarian; Jan 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
We have no noticeable increase in pressure drop or lag with our larger intercoolers. The main reason for upgrading your intercooler is for a cooler intake air temp which will allow you to run more boost and timing without knock on the top end. If you do back to back runs on the factory intercooler it will heat soak, no doubt about it. An upgraded intercooler on the stock turbo is highly recommend.

The main difference between our units and the competitors is our core design. I won't blow up this thread with intercooler designs, but you can check out these threads if you want to read more.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ted-equal.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ler-gains.html

I'm hoping one of the guys that dyno tested the Mishimoto intercooler steps in, because the results were not very impressive over the factory intercooler. The reason for this is the fin design. But, I'm sure one of them will elaborate more. I can't find the link to the thread... it may have been taken down.

Michael
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by shadovarian

Furthermore, in my case my factory intercooler was damaged and needed to be replaced. It stood to logic that buying a giant ETS or other $600+ intercooler would not only be a rather large expenditure but would also be a severe determent in the form of pressure drop.

This is all aside from the fact that the only size gradient (.5 inch thickness) that I in particular went up, was suggested in this sticky when upgrading intercoolers to reduce heat soak https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html
You do know that it'll take fractions of a sec to fill the extra space In the IC. No severe determent to speak off here. Put on quality IC tune and win
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I never said your intercoolers were bad. Just unnecessary for what I need. And when you are talking to the automotive community, fractions of a second can be significant depending on the application.

I have seen your charts and they are impressive. But my maximum goal was to reach 400whp with most of the power in the low end. Pressure drops, even minor ones are not acceptable for what I want. I never expected the Mishimoto to perform leaps and bounds over the stock intercooler. The stock intercooler is fine for most people, but since I had to replace it my best bet was to go with one that was similar in size. With the Mishimoto I got that except slightly thicker to reduce heat soak. So it was and is what I needed.

Your designs are top notch ETS, but unnecessary for me. The money I saved by getting only what I needed in an intercooler will go towards the Cams that I need to make my performance mark.

In hind sight I should not have said that your intercoolers would create a massive pressure drop. That is relative to the individual, and like you said it changes based on IC pipes etc.

I had my Injen kit "adjusted" so that the path of flow is better which involved the relocation of my battery and the welding of coupler points so that there were only 4 (turbo, right/left intercooler, throttle body).

I do find it amusing though that you choose to target me with rebuttal when I was responding to someone who said upgrading intercoolers was stupid.

Last edited by shadovarian; Jan 6, 2012 at 01:40 PM.