Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How often do you miss shifts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol closed track?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Had my evo for 3 weeks.... same things happen ...i thought it was just me .
Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

ive had the car for 2 years and think i missed a shift once. not bragging just saying.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

my 3rd and sometimes 4th...but it has only been since I installed my exedy single disc. When I was on my stock clutch I could shift at any rpm at any speed and it was always smooth and nice. I miss that.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly don't remember the last time I missed a shift. It happens, but if you miss a shift frequently you may want to be more careful when shifting as it is most likely an issue with your technique. Once you have it down you honestly stop thinking about it.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

I've nicked 3rd or fourth a few times. It happens when I'm not being careful and/or shifting to forcefully. Mis-shifted once, at a low speed while tired.

It does not feel like it locks me out of the gear, rather its a timing issue ... letting out the clutch while the tranny is partially engaged. Definitely a driver error.

My miata used to lock me out of third if I was pushing it hard. I believe the differential bushings were too soft.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well I am having the same problem...eating 2nd gear. So I am going to try new clutch kit ACT MB7-HDR6 , New ACT 600205 flywheel, New 1st and 2nd gear synchros and AMSOIL MTG
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really never miss a shift, however after replacing my cluth with an exedy single disk stage 2 it's 50/50 chance getting locked out in 2nd gear. I have tried pedal adjusment, shifter bushings but its always the same.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Clutch is usually to blame for a lockout of most gears. As far as the grinding goes, thats usually driver error.

Keep in mind, the Evos gearbox is not a Honda design. Its a solid unit, but notchy and does not like to be shifted fast. Hell my 95 Integra GS-R with 170k on it is more tolerable for quick shifting than my 05 Evo with 27k is. Slow the shift down, and I guarantee the grind will disappear; well unless you have destroyed syncros or worse in the transmission already.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I miss 2nd at WOT and it blows.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

What trans fluid do you fools recommend?

I'm looking at:

BG Synchromesh
Redline Lightweight Shockproof
Redline MT90
Pennzoil whatever it's called
AMSoil MTG
Royal Purple

I tried searching, but evom's search sucks latley.

I have Redline MT90 in my Mirage and love it. That's what I was leaning towards since have expeirence with it.

I'm not saying a trans fluid change will fix my problem, but I'm due for a fluid change this spring, so it doesn't hurt to try. If a trans fluid change doesn't fix it, then maybe I'll try adjusting my clutch or just remember to be more careful. When I remember to be careful, I'm usually miss and lockout free. But then you start to forget and get sloppy. And then BAM!!! Rev limiter. You look around and think "aww man I wonder if anybody saw that". 9 times out of 10... yeah, somebody did

On a happier note, my ETS UICP just came in today and my Perrin intake comes tomorrow! PPI Manifold should be here in a few weeks!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
What trans fluid do you fools recommend?

I'm looking at:

BG Synchromesh
Redline Lightweight Shockproof
Redline MT90
Pennzoil whatever it's called
AMSoil MTG
Royal Purple

I tried searching, but evom's search sucks latley.

I have Redline MT90 in my Mirage and love it. That's what I was leaning towards since have expeirence with it.

I'm not saying a trans fluid change will fix my problem, but I'm due for a fluid change this spring, so it doesn't hurt to try. If a trans fluid change doesn't fix it, then maybe I'll try adjusting my clutch or just remember to be more careful. When I remember to be careful, I'm usually miss and lockout free. But then you start to forget and get sloppy. And then BAM!!! Rev limiter. You look around and think "aww man I wonder if anybody saw that". 9 times out of 10... yeah, somebody did

On a happier note, my ETS UICP just came in today and my Perrin intake comes tomorrow! PPI Manifold should be here in a few weeks!
Personally, I recommend the stock fluid for a number of reasons, mainly its ability to work correctly at higher temps. Syncromesh will work well and will smooth out the shifts, but I tend to wonder about its ability to last during a track day or similar event.

Some say Redline is the way to go, and it might be. I will say this though; the stock fluid has never caused a trans issue. The same can not be said of other products. (not referring to Redline here, just a general statement)
Old Mar 5, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I use to all the time in mine but it was trying to learn to shift with my left hand. I dont have the problem after driving the evo III for over 2 years now
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I just had my car out and everything went mega ultra smooth. No miss or lockouts. I was wearing my new dunks so I accidently slipped the clutch hardcore into second due to them being stiff and new. I couldn't feel the engagment oh well. I eventually got used to them. I still want to try another trans fluid. Suggestions?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Shep Trans and Red will fix this
I have a shep tranny with redline and my second still sucks..... I have act though, maybe thats why?