Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

driveline slop...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveline slop...

I have a lot of driveline slop (06 GSR, 40k miles). I thought for sure a motor mount was broken. I took it in to the dealer, and they swear they are not. they say they are liquid filled, and it would be brutally obvious to them if one of them had sprung a leak.

are there otehr bushings that might tear or break that would feel like a torn motor mount?

I don't mind it so much of there's a little slack, but sometimes it actually "herk-a-jerk-jerks" a couple to 3 times when I go from coasting in gear to mild positive throttle. Same with getting of the gas, especially with the AC on (compressor load on the motor). in low gears it's obviously the most noticable.

any advice?

thx
Old Mar 3, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

btw, my track car has near solid mounts everywhere and there's still a little slop just from the diff, gear-lash and whatnot, but not even 1/3 of the movement I feel in the evo's driveline. It coudn't have always been like this and I never notice.

the mechanic at Mitsu told me "that is normal, with some miles the car develops it's own natural harmonics." I'm not kidding.

the car is completely stock, btw...
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

nobody??
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
A couple thing you could try.

First - replace the lower front motor mount and see if that helps significantly. If it does, then the slop was engine movement. . .

Second - if that doesn't fix it - it is most likely excessive gear lash in the transfer case and/or rear differential. . . The mechanic can inspect the transfer case gears through the inspection cover (without needing to remove it from the car). If the gears appear to have excessive wear then you can try to get them to warranty it and get you a new TC. . .

BTW, my rear diff has always had a ton of slop. . . Once I had it rebuilt by TRE it was very much less . . .

EVOlutionary