Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost and Idle problems?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost and Idle problems?

Ok, here's the story. My friend and I recently did the gauge/radio swap deal. The hose that goes to the boost gauge was a very close fit. So its all good, but the car just feels different to me.

A few days later it is really starting to bother me that the car feels sort of slow and clunky. I hit boost which I hadn't done in awhile, and I notice that I build boost and the RPMs shoot up to about 4 - 4.5k super quick and then drop back down to about 2k and I lose boost and I get a bunch of fluttering from the stock 8 BOV. We decide to go back in and low and behold, the hose to the gauge had slipped a bit. Now, I don't really believe that was the problem but we but it back snug and it ran fine for the night.

This was Saturday. I didn't drive around Sunday, and I didn't hit boost this morning. Earlier this afternoon however I decide to gun it a bit to have some fun. Same thing... -_-

So I drive over to a deserted road to try and diagnose this *****. Floor it in six gear on the way there. I get some sweet boost, hit about 4.5k again, but now it drops to about 1.5k and I basically don't go anywhere. So when I get to the road I decide to do a "1/4 mile run". haha. I bring it up and bounce the launch limiter for a sec and take off. I hit about 6k and then the RPMs and boost drop off to about 4k in 1st. After that though I hit every gear nicely and they never dropped boost.

But, I still have the problem and now as I wait at a light (a long light) I notice that after a bit my RPMs have dropped to 700ish where I normally idle at 850-900.

I don't really know what to do at this point. I will probably swap back the gauge and radio. (I really don't want to I love how it sits right now) Does anyone think they know what may be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

it might your clutch slipping that would give the rpm dropping, you on stock or aftermarket clutch?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:25 PM

I'm on a stock clutch.

All I have, performance-wise, is the HKS RS Intake.

EDIT: I don't think the clutch slipping would cause it to drop boost and RPMs when I am already in 6th gear, would it?

Last edited by Wolf_EVO8; Mar 9, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm it could be the clutch slipping, im not an expert so just see what other people have to say about it
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:30 PM

Its possible, I have run the clutch pretty hard in the 4 thousand miles I've had the EVO.

It only has 10 thousand miles on it. That is the only reason I do not think it is the clutch.

Thanks for the insight though.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

no prob