Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my intake cam snapped?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
There is a very simple solution here...send in a failed cam or two to a failure analysis lab. Done.

Fatigue can be verified by simple fractography and confirmed by high magnification under an SEM. A qualified lab can do all of this as well as test the alloy composition and look for defects, etc. Not only can a lab verify if this was a fatigue failure or not, they can verify the crack initiation point(s).

I think simply sending a couple of the broken cams to a qualified lab will get the quickest results and real cause of the failures.

I Totally agree, maybe one day someone will send us a camshaft that has broken this way.
As of today we still have not recieved one. Only photos and e mails directing us to this discussion.
We have an avaiation industry metalurgical lab in town here that we use for analysis.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jimib
Its admitted that a larger machined radius would improve it, but then it would move to the next weakest link... I agree, but that's easy to say since that is not done. And who is to say that the next weakest link is too weak for the possible conditions?
It has happened, photos below.

This is not one of our cams, but the information was sent to me for review.
This is why I make the statement that if we strengthen the radius, whatever is causing high load can result in a breakage at the next weakest link which has proven to be the oil hole cross drilling in the next groove..

We are working on a solution to strengthen this area also.
Attached Thumbnails my intake cam snapped?!!?-img_2464.jpg   my intake cam snapped?!!?-img_2461.jpg  
Old Mar 16, 2009, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

As soon as I get booster9 car in, I'll pull the cam and send it your way. That is assuming that's what he wants to do...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys I got a response from GSC

We have only had one known failure and to reproduce this type of failure
took and excess amounts of force. At this time we can't tell 100% as to the
failures cause. We have broken a couple of cams to try and simulate the
break and have only been able to do so out of excess force.

If it's possible can you get me the batch id of your intake cam and I can
tell you if the ID is from the same batch as the failed camshaft.

Attached is a picture of where the batch id is on your camshaft.

Best Regards,

Greg Caloudas

Hes not saying what the bad batch number is but later this week I will send him the batch number of my cam and find out. Does some one know the batch number of the current broken cams?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

This is news!!! Hopefully they will be able to trace the failures and flaws to a specific batch!!!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:38 PM

Anyone know batch #'s?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

broken S2 cam: EHH8

brand new kelford cam (not broken)
CH74

Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody compared batch numbers on broken GSC cams to prove the possibility of a bad batch....if its not a batch then more cams could break with fatigue....to the broken cam people, how many miles did you have the cams on for??
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Starting to doubt its simply a bad batch. Its a design and manufacturing flaw. With as few miles boths sets I had break, had on them. And being purchased in June and November from the same source. Takes the possibility of them being in the same batch. Supplier sold quite a few and was always out of stock.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Early EVO
Starting to doubt its simply a bad batch. Its a design and manufacturing flaw. With as few miles boths sets I had break, had on them. And being purchased in June and November from the same source. Takes the possibility of them being in the same batch. Supplier sold quite a few and was always out of stock.
Which cams did you have? Power? Boost?

thanks
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Early EVO
How many miles on each set before they broke? Batch #'s? Did you contact Kelford? They say they only know of one failure on their cams to date. Did you have them lab tested?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I contacted GSC and let them know the batch number and I am waiting for them to get back to me.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone find out what batch number supposedly is the bad one ?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
anyone find out what batch number supposedly is the bad one ?
I don't think it's a bad batch, but rather a flaw in design as Kelford somewhat stated.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
The fact that its delayed between install and failure seems to indicate its something right before install or at install. Something weakened the cam prior and after "x" amount of cycles the failure occurs. Some have pointed to shipping (I wouldnt say packaging so much as there are FAR WORSE examples) damage as a likely culprit.

Before this turns into a bunch of "i have friend whose brother knows a guy" type posts, if all those with failures would take a picture of the cam and batch number. Without some sort of proof there is no way to verify what batch or if it happened. So far so good, but I have seen a few posts that dont seem to be linked to any photos.

Quick Reply: my intake cam snapped?!!?