Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my intake cam snapped?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yea my cams had been for 6k miles with no prob and were installed with out a prob. i was just driving normal when it broke, i understand if i was ****ing off and it did this but i wasnt...And Every pic u see of broken kelfords it is in almost the same place.... by the cam gear, so yea i guess we all just got together and decide that were gona make our installer f ups look like a mass cam conspiracy...to cover up us screwing up....riiiiiight

And i dont know what the extent of the damage is yet...im taking it apart tomorrow, ill let ya know

Last edited by MattyBoyMR; Mar 22, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the people who experienced this maybe they could share what cam and the batch # of the cam. i bet there are a lot of 9 owners with these brand of cams who are freaked out right now.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
for the people who experienced this maybe they could share what cam and the batch # of the cam. i bet there are a lot of 9 owners with these brand of cams who are freaked out right now.
I'm one of those!!!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Me too, I'm waiting for a while to install them to see if anything comes from the testing.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ill provide the batch number when i pull....whats left of my cam out tomorrow....
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:19 PM

hopefully kelford is aware of this problem and is working on at least a cause of the cam failure i.e. defective alloy in the manufacturing process. So far is it just the intake side that is breaking?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
I'm one of those!!!
Dude why are you waiting its like a ticking time bomb get those poorly designed things out. I wonder how many more of these stories it will take before everyone gets it.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i never thought that cams would break like this. you buy cams for one reason... to add more power! now with more power you'll gonna want to run harder to take full advantage of the new found power! that doesnt mean to spin your motor past rev limiter but for spending 600-900 dollars on cams, springs and retainers i shouldnt be worried about not reving my motor and driving the heck out of it. this is ridiculous! who is going to want to drive like grandma with new cams in making more power?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
Dude why are you waiting its like a ticking time bomb get those poorly designed things out. I wonder how many more of these stories it will take before everyone gets it.
I'm still waiting because I have not found a mechanic/shop that can do the work on my car.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone tried running just the exhaust cam with the stock intake cam? the stock cams are pretty stout from what i hear and with adjusting the mivec map i'm sure we'll be surprised of the power to be had. well at least on stock turbo setups. dont know how well it will work on 20g's and up.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
has anyone tried running just the exhaust cam with the stock intake cam? the stock cams are pretty stout from what i hear and with adjusting the mivec map i'm sure we'll be surprised of the power to be had. well at least on stock turbo setups. dont know how well it will work on 20g's and up.
Yeah there are some guys on here that have run 11s with just an VIII 272 exhaust cam and the stock IX intake cam...

I was thinking along the same lines:
20G IX Turbo
272 Exhaust Cam

+ usual bolt-ons and a good tune should make for a fast street Evo...

Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

so should everyone with these cames installed, myself included, Uninstall these cams as soon as possible?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:43 AM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itzcharlez
so should everyone with these cames installed, myself included, Uninstall these cams as soon as possible?
Thats really up to the owner to decide. Overall, despite the big deal we are making of it, the percentage of cam failures is still relatively small. That said, how lucky do you feel? Do you feel ok risking your entire motor when there could be a known defect in your cams? Would you be ok with rebuilding a new motor from scratch knowing you could have avoided it with a simple cam swap?

I guess it comes down to u much tolerance for risk you have. And how much money you have. For some people rebuilding a 5-10k$ engine is peanuts. For others its a deal breaker....
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

I was finally able to get on Buschur's schedule, they are taking the cams out on Wednesday morning!!!

I'm going to have my fingers crossed so that nothing happens!!! Wish me luck guys!!! If everything goes well I will be sending the cam back to Kelford for examination and testing if they want to test a cam with real world milage on it.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supersal
Yeah there are some guys on here that have run 11s with just an VIII 272 exhaust cam and the stock IX intake cam...

I was thinking along the same lines:
20G IX Turbo
272 Exhaust Cam

+ usual bolt-ons and a good tune should make for a fast street Evo...

yeah i have been thinking of this for a while now. but lets see what results we get from the test. although i've also heard of people going the 11's with stock cams and turbo just by having the supporting mods and a kick *** mivec tune.

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
I was finally able to get on Buschur's schedule, they are taking the cams out on Wednesday morning!!!

I'm going to have my fingers crossed so that nothing happens!!! Wish me luck guys!!! If everything goes well I will be sending the cam back to Kelford for examination and testing if they want to test a cam with real world milage on it.

not for nothing but if feasable i would suggest doing this and sending them out just like JRB_EVO. at least you can get it inspected to verify there are no stress cracks.

Quick Reply: my intake cam snapped?!!?