Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my intake cam snapped?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOla_VIRUS
is there a batch number associated with the new design?
I have asked this question many of times, and have not heard an answer. I've been wondering which are which for all the casting numbers for the mivec.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

all kelfords have the same EHHD just the other core that kelford used has a shallower oil grove
Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Bump, i think we have another. cosworth cam this time, installed by a shop in new mexico, not sure when it was purchased. i have yet to see the car, but judging by his description its a broken intake cam
Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics look scary
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:14 AM

so whats the whole situation with the cosworth cams? i have a set of bnib m3 cams that im debating if i should install or not.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
Bump, i think we have another. cosworth cam this time, installed by a shop in new mexico, not sure when it was purchased. i have yet to see the car, but judging by his description its a broken intake cam
any update on this?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evolved83
any update on this?
its definately a broken intake cam. cosworth M2. installed by a shop in new mexico, the car was shipped here, drove it for a day, cam broke. i haven't seen the car in person, but he sent me pictures so i could help diagnose the problem. i tried posting the pictures but they are on my iphone. i'll try again right now.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far we have no other information but limited numbers of camshaft failures.

I have not read of any proof that would lead me to believe it was a bad batch other than here say.

Not naming a couple of distributers (dont feel comfortable naming), but they have sent the Kelfs for independant testing material testing. The batch they used was sent for analysis and returned fine. What batch and what kind of analysis is unknown to me.

There are quiet a few explainations for what happened to possibly include material and/or design flaw but nothing has lead me to believe that yet.

IMO, What we know is the design is common with all cams sold; yet there has been limited failure. One thing that differentiates us from one another (being we have the same cam design and material) is the manner in which it was installed.

If, for instance, a cam cap bolt began loosening from vibration because of incorrect torque applied, the cam could begin a vibration due to rotation and the loose cam cap. This in turn may cause impact forces perhaps causing the breakage at the weak point of the cam....the oil groves.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Kelford's own set of beehive springs are out. Just placed my order!! They're shipping them out with my new set of cams .
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by projectpsi
Can you explain a little further as to what exactly you were doing and what happened when the cam snapped? Were you using stock springs, what RPM and boost, was the tensioner replaced, conditions during the break, etc. ?

There has to be a logical cause to this as cams don’t snap by themselves like that, they need a lot of force to do that. It has happened before with other brands of EVO9 cams, with cores from various sources, but I am not sure what the cause of that was because I was not involved in the discussions.

Kelford has done some testing in their labs, (destructive and non destructive) and found no fault with the castings.

It is near impossible to break these cams with a rotational motion, the only way they could replicate the breakage was by side impact. The only side impact that happens in operation is from belt harmonics which can be caused by various things.

All I know is it took a lot of force for them to break that cam in testing, that amount of force is not normal in the engine.

Some possible causes may stem from;
Spring coil bind
Belt tension
Valve spring harmonics, (trying to run the stock spring at extended rpm and boost)
Not replacing the tensioner with a new unit when installing
Etc.

If you could give us more information on this particular incident we may be able to point you in the right direction.
I agree I also noticed that the cam to cam gear doesn't look centered are you sure it was bolted from the look of the pic the cam looks out of alignment which means stress is going to be greater on one side of the cam and could quiet possibly cause breakage.
a lot of people miss align the mivec cam gear and force the dowel into the cam and with the torque spec being so low in comparison to the exhaust it would probably not push the dowel all the way in causing miss alignment and additional stress on the cam

Greg
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxNosTankxx
You know, thats kind of interesting. I put in an order about two weeks ago with ETS and includsed in the order was a set of Kelford 272's for my 9. After I placed the ordr I came across this thread and of course got a little nervous.

ETS Michael told me last week when I called him that he called Kelford and spoke with them directly regarding the issue. He said that they have seen very minimal failures (<1%), which I believe, but he also said Kelford told him that many of these people weren't running an upgraded valvetrain. He said that Kelford told him that the Supertech dual springs were not even providing the right pressure (or dispersing the pressure evenly) and that they recommend Beehive Springs for the application. I just find this weird because you and I were told two different things regarding the spring set up with these cams. Also I find what I was told a little weird since Kelfords website recommends the use of Supertech products.

I wonder why you and I were told two different things? Maybe ETS can shed some light on this. I guess I need to email Kelford to clarify, because I'm not putting these in my motor unless I'm sure I'm running the valvetrain they recommend.
While that <1% failure rate may be over their entire line of cams for every car , what about car specific, ie the failure rate for the evo cams? The reasoning behind this is that when cams are manufactured you don't make a honda cam then a mitsu cam, you make all of specific cam at once and then move onto the next make and model cam. Hence why the percentage for an evo cam failure might be greater than a civic cam failure is that the metals used to make these cams can be from different batches, which in advertainly makes the <1% statement true for ALL, but what is the vehicle specific cam rate failure?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'm having trouble getting in touch with them now. I wish I knew what was going on.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My cams from kelford just got here!!=) Cant wait to put it back together.....I wasnt able tog et ahold of them either..because i was wondring where they were....and tadah...they were here lol
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MattyBoyMR
My cams from kelford just got here!!=) Cant wait to put it back together.....I wasnt able tog et ahold of them either..because i was wondring where they were....and tadah...they were here lol
Yeah but I placed an order for their valve springs to send with the new set of cams, and it still hasn't been charged . That's what has me doubting it's been shipped yet.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
true....good point...lol guess i kinda missed that, because i was soo happy bout my cams...lol

Quick Reply: my intake cam snapped?!!?