Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my intake cam snapped?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Eric, I knew you were an engineer so I had no doubt about your qualifications. I have some pix to forward to if you can PM your email to me again.

Denver, thats exactly what I wanted to hear so no fears in "patting" your own back I did ask and asked just for that reason.

I have 3 sets of S2s that I will be checking and taking pix of this afternoon.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Eric, I knew you were an engineer so I had no doubt about your qualifications. I have some pix to forward to if you can PM your email to me again.

Denver, thats exactly what I wanted to hear so no fears in "patting" your own back I did ask and asked just for that reason.

No problem.

As always its just pictures, I haven't seen the real thing or seen any lab results, so its just guessing at this point, but it certainly looks like a material failure made worse by the machining..... just by the pictures... I could be wrong, and it could have come from belt harmonics and will be the first to admit I was wrong if thats the results, but I will certainly be surprised, either way, the cam should still have a radius grove instead of a sharp square cut oil passage, the square cut is just bad practice period. But like I said before I have Kelfords in my car its an 8 but I have no intentions of taking them out, and Will still recommend them for sure if we find the problem and resolve it.

I'm considering putting in a little extra OT at work and FEA the intake cam just to see what it comes up with... we'll see...

Last edited by denver; Mar 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Last edited by smack_evo; Mar 20, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

This is really bad news. To Sean and everyone else, please keep the info coming. Im shopping around for cams now, so its a good thing you guys have come forward.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 01:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by smack_evo
i'd be happy to lend someone my broken cosi cam for testing.
dammit I just got some cossie M2's installed 3monthes ago I hope they don't break
Old Mar 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I just had my Kelford Mivec 280/272 installed yesterday, so that sucks just a tad
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sspaladin28
I just had my Kelford Mivec 280/272 installed yesterday, so that sucks just a tad
keep your fingers crossed
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, I got in contact with Kelford and they are looking into the situation, from a cam design point of view and they are also working very closely with the supplier of the cores to try to pin point the issue if it is material related. They were very honest and polite in their response, they are truly concerned about the failures.

If I get anymore information I will post it.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:45 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
Hey guys, I got in contact with Kelford and they are looking into the situation, from a cam design point of view and they are also working very closely with the supplier of the cores to try to pin point the issue if it is material related. They were very honest and polite in their response, they are truly concerned about the failures.

Sweet. That's good news! It'll be intersting to see what their investigation turns up.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ktk
Sweet. That's good news! It'll be intersting to see what their investigation turns up.
Indeed.

Lets all hope that there are no more failures and that they are able (Kelford, GSC and Cosworth) to pin point the cause of the ones that have already happened!!!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Lol on a somewhat related note I have brand new GSC S2's and brand new Kelford 272's on route to me as we speak. I want to see both before I install something and I am hoping the Evo 8 cam will be immune to these MIVEC groove issues. But I will take a close look anyways, just to be safe.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Race it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat lol
Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

Observations??
Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO

Thanks,

That is a refreshing outlook that is SHARPLY contrasted by some of the other cam manufacturers selling the same core....
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:06 AM

I read some one questioning if its just the M3's?
No my M2's just broke this week with under 2k miles, most of which was easy non-boosted driving (i had bad tires).
I'm not naming names right now but they were professionally installed with a new oem tbelt and tensioner so I'm confident in ruling it is the cams fault. Also I called Cosworth and he wasn't surprised to hear this saying he's heard it before. They easily agreed to replace my cam but said I'm on my own for any engine damage caused by it, as well as getting it re-installed.
I can post picks but it looks the same as the ones up already. I should note I wasn't driving hard at the time. I have head studs, valve springs and retainers.

Quick Reply: my intake cam snapped?!!?