Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my intake cam snapped?!!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:50 AM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lst4g63
I read some one questioning if its just the M3's?
No my M2's just broke this week with under 2k miles, most of which was easy non-boosted driving (i had bad tires).
I'm not naming names right now but they were professionally installed with a new oem tbelt and tensioner so I'm confident in ruling it is the cams fault. Also I called Cosworth and he wasn't surprised to hear this saying he's heard it before. They easily agreed to replace my cam but said I'm on my own for any engine damage caused by it, as well as getting it re-installed.
I can post picks but it looks the same as the ones up already. I should note I wasn't driving hard at the time. I have head studs, valve springs and retainers.

sorry to hear it dude

That brings up the count so far to:

MIVEC GSC S2
MIVEC Cosworth M2 & Cosworth M3
MIVEC Kelford 272's

Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here are lst4g63's pics. So has anyone ever ditched there mivec before? I know it will be a matter of tuning/wirin gas well as mechanical. Just thinking outloud how feasible it would be to do so.. Im building a motor for our other friend and he has M3s.. No way will I be apart of that motor going together with m3s. The cams work great, and cosworth makes some nice pieces, but im not taking the chance.

Sorry for the cellphone pics..

Last edited by jimib; Mar 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ktk
sorry to hear it dude

That brings up the count so far to:

MIVEC GSC S2
MIVEC Cosworth M2 & Cosworth M3
MIVEC Kelford 272's

Thanks, im currently in contact with cosworth and have emailed them detailing what happened and pics to verify. They are suppose to get back to me soon I will let you all know how it goes.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

It seems more and more are coming out of the wood work on this... definitely and issue at this point.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:23 PM

Ok, something must be done before anyone else loses their engine. I challenge all of the suspect manufacturers to come forward with proper testing, possible bad batches or some kind of reassurance. Your reputation is going to die soon if something is not done. I have Kelford 272's (and love them) but right now, I don't have a "warm and fuzzy" feeling, and I will soon rip them out and go with another brand that has not had this problem.

This is getting out of hand.................
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I went to to the Forced Performance website and you can order just the intake cam by itself. This may be the way to go. At least you wont have to purchase the whole set.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Lancer-Engine
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just found this quote on FP's website under the FP4R Cams section ...

"The FP4R camshafts are ground on only the highest quality blanks with generous radius for the oil grooves for max strength and durability. There have been ZERO failures of the FP4R EVO9 MIVEC camshaft. FP cam blanks are different and superior to Kelford, GSC and Cosworth blanks, all shown to break in two pieces at the oil groove resulting in total engine loss."

Hmmm ... wonder how long that's been there??

Last edited by nick_622; Mar 13, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

This thread is very quiet from a vendor standpoint and that is certainly troubling with engines at stake.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:14 PM

Wow, super lame!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zbomb
This thread is very quiet from a vendor standpoint and that is certainly troubling with engines at stake.

I was thinking the same thing but then you have to remember, threads like this are messing their sales up. Business is business.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder what the failure rate is? Its a shame none of the vendors have posted here to at least acknowledge the problem. At least come up with a batch number or what to look out for to verify the good cams from the bad. Its going to be hard to sell their cams if they dont step up and make good on whats wrong. I looks like Forced Performance is going to get a lot more business. On another note I wonder if its just Evo cams going bad. I am sure the manufacture of the cam blanks make other car models also.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Remy
I was thinking the same thing but then you have to remember, threads like this are messing their sales up. Business is business.
Being the MFG of a 200 dollar part that fails and destroys a 5K engine is not a good way to stay in business.

In my work I go by, everyone makes mistakes. The people who succeed fix them faster and don't repeat them. If there are systemic issues with these cores, the vendor who publically states it and makes the situation right with their custmers will be the better for it.

Now, I don't know if that's the case here, but as they say, silence is deafening.

Last edited by zbomb; Mar 13, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

I've been reading this thread since it began. I have a Evo 8 and have been considering purchasing some of these failing cams. I am aware that the failures are related to the MIVEC system on the Evo IX cars. However, I am confident I would be safe running these cams on a non-mivec car. That being said, I am a little disappointed to find that no company or vender has stepped up with some sort of input on this situation. It would be comforting to the community to have some sort of explaination or acknowledgement of this situation. I am sad to say, but I'll be taking my business elsewhere to a company that stands behind their products.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Those with cracked cams... Are you guys running upgraded valve springs?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I think alot of people are going to soon start discovering what DSMers have known for years - FP makes some great cams.

Quick Reply: my intake cam snapped?!!?