Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Leak Test Results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009 | 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Boost Leak Test Results

ok guys i posted a couple of days ago about how car was running real bad after putting 3.5" ic and ets intake. I previously had an hks intake and a 9 bov. I sold both of those and got an ets intake and another 9 bov. Car was running bad and at idle AFRs were from 10-17. and when i would give it like 40% throttle afrs would shoot to 10s. So i did a boost leak test and this is what i found.

At 7psi...
-Leak from brass nipple of ets intake(i guess ets didnt tighten it all the way)
So i fixed it by putting some of that tape that goes over the threads, so that leak gone.

At 7psi next test...
- a whistle was coming from licp coupler
So i tightened the hell out of my t-bolt clamps and that was gone..

At 8psi, system didnt seem to hold more than 8psi...
- another whistle was coming from back of motor where intake manifold is. turns out that when i was twisting the Oil Cap the noise would change. So that leak was coming from the oil cap, i guess the seal on oil cap is bad.

So i need to get another oil cap. Could the oil cap be why car is running bad. I mean i also noticed that a little oil was coming out of cap also. i mean since the cap was bad the system wouldnt even go higher than 8 psi. I was using a 125psi air compressor that i set on 25psi. What are yals inputs?

Thanks,
Gared.
Old Mar 12, 2009 | 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Is it the stock oil cap? Subscribed
Old Mar 12, 2009 | 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yes stock oil cap. i havent heard anything about those being bad. or am i new to this subject
Old Mar 12, 2009 | 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

well i was just told by my evo expert that i was stupid and could have blew a ring off, because that line that was going to the valve cover. I only took off the filter and maf and then put the tester on. I guess i need to take off the whole intake pipe. but i think the ring situation is ok because i drove the car back home down the street and it seemed ok.
Old Mar 14, 2009 | 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

you the boost leakage test wrong. why you you worry about the intake having leakage ? the only thing an intake do is sucking air, it's not like it need to seal. Do it right and take off the intake and mount the tester on the turbo and pump air form there. By the way you don't need to get another oil cap. Cause that's is blow by, you are also have to exists on the valve cover. one have a one way check valve the other just flow straight through. Amazing how one can fk something up, that been show how to on here plenty of times.

Last edited by vboy425; Mar 14, 2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2009 | 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem, I hear a strange sound like the manifold is discharging air, but I did the boost leak test at 14psi.

Am gonna check the oil cap tomorrow
Old Mar 23, 2009 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
you the boost leakage test wrong. why you you worry about the intake having leakage ? the only thing an intake do is sucking air, it's not like it need to seal. Do it right and take off the intake and mount the tester on the turbo and pump air form there. By the way you don't need to get another oil cap. Cause that's is blow by, you are also have to exists on the valve cover. one have a one way check valve the other just flow straight through. Amazing how one can fk something up, that been show how to on here plenty of times.
This guy is right