Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

converting my 9 to an 8 (remove mivec)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The IX head is the most resistant to flexing and has the best metallurgy of all 4G63 heads. It uses small head plugs for a reason

The VIII is a 4 plug ECU harness and the IX is a 3 plug. There are some substantial changes that need to be addressed. The last 8 we converted to a 9 cost about 2500 in parts and that was a mix of used and new parts. An 8 would be a little less since some of that is MIVEC specific but still its not gonna be cheap.
sounds to me like the head being stronger and resisting flex would be why the cams snap. running 8 cams on a 9 head probably has the same chance of breaking the cams. Or it would seem that way to me.

If you still want to convert from 8 to 9 pm me. I want
Mivec and maybe we could work something out.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the mivec. Mitsubishi added that for a reason and is continuing it with the X.

Just like us honda boys say VTEC turbo FTW!!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

how about you keep the mivec and just stick to stock parts since you're worried about things breaking
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

This whole cam snapping ordeal is just like the old 7 bolts and their "crank walk", blown way out of proportion from posts like these.

Just because you want cams with a larger lift doesn't necessarily mean the car will make more power or the cams are superior to those with less. Duration and valve over lap more important to a cams profile than the lift, not to mention the degree on the crankshafts revolution the cam begins to open the valve and for how long (duration). MIVEC only enhances the benefits of a larger cam profile. What you want to do reminds me of all the small block efi guys switching to carb because they're too lazy to tune. On bolt on applications sure they picked up a few 10ths in the 1320, but when they want to start making real power they never seem to catch the efi guys. Yes there are some exceptions, just like Buschur and AMS, BUT LOOK WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! They're in the top 5 list of leaders in the Evo community and are backed by the leading manufacturers of speed parts. They have every resource on tap and unlimited dyno time to make the old technology of the XIII's perform the way they do. You'll be doing more work to get less, maybe the same power you can make with the right IX cams. ****, look at 9sex9 and most-wanted's sucess and they are on baby turbos. Both 9's, both making way more power than you and both out perform stroked 8's with bigger turbos. The facts are all where anyone can find them. It would be a waste of time and money to ditch the mivec just because you're afraid of a snapped cam. Like I said, that scenario has been blown way out of proportion just like "crank walk".
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lst4g63
Wow your the dumbass, I think I speak for all of us who have had a cam break when I say we don't want to have to do another several thousand $ rebuild, we'd rather spend a little and ditch mivec and not have to worry again.. I bought a "good" set and had them prof installed by a top installer and they broke, I'm in college and can't keep affording thousands in motor builds.

Now on topic I think some hard facts are in need for this. Me and my engine builder have been taliking about this a lot and the exact details would be great... I highly doubt it's more cost efficient to sell and buy an 8 than to just do the swap but idk yet.
You will be hurting your car if you take away the MIVEC. You will also be lining the pockets of your master tech with this stupid project. MIVEC will help dramatically with spoolup and powerband. If you are really scared, return you IX to stock and sell it, get an VIII.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive had both GSC's and Cosworth's and have had zero issues. I'd say I've pushed them pretty hard too And to say there aren't any aggressive IX cams is false. Look at the FP5R's. I'd say they are pretty aggressive If you want to do the swap, then John Bradley gave you good info as well as some others...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

about what time frame were these so called bad batch purchased? I bought/installed my Cos 272's back in Aug 07, and i have had 0 problems.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdecrypter
about what time frame were these so called bad batch purchased? I bought/installed my Cos 272's back in Aug 07, and i have had 0 problems.
dont worry man, I'd blame the installer before the cams!

Especially if his so called, "master tech" installed them
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Get FP Cams or JUN Cams.. FP Cams are made by COMP and are very reliable.. and JUN does make IX cams.. Good luck
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

do you want to swap heads with me? Mine is ported with 1mm oversized valves and titanium springs and retainers. I wanted to do a 9 conversion on my 8. right now I have comp 280 cams. GSC sent me s2's to replace the cracked 272's but I just went with the comps as my tuner recommended.

Last edited by johnjonfenomeno; Mar 18, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaymin
dont worry man, I'd blame the installer before the cams!

Especially if his so called, "master tech" installed them
well he isnt the only one, so i am trying to gather when about this batch was manufactured.