Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just from what i have been told by shep. by chances it can leak if you make your own plate(bolt on plate for stock power or over stock)...but if that it would be better to weld the plate so its better off "what if it leaks". ive gone through this with other members and with fwd evo swaps...i know whats going on. just sayin even with so much power that center diff can break. id be more worried about the tranny then the tcase. im never going back tre for fwd tranny conversions, id rather get the fwd tcase.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by downshift411
just from what i have been told by shep. by chances it can leak if you make your own plate(bolt on plate for stock power or over stock)...but if that it would be better to weld the plate so its better off "what if it leaks". ive gone through this with other members and with fwd evo swaps...i know whats going on. just sayin even with so much power that center diff can break. id be more worried about the tranny then the tcase. im never going back tre for fwd tranny conversions, id rather get the fwd tcase.
Well since you have so much knowledge on this, how would you run FWD by only modding the T-case and not weldind the center diff?

The only way I can see feasible to do this is you would have to stop the diff carrier housing from spinning. You cant weld the steel housing to the aluminum tcase body. Plus the spinning of the front diff housing(ring gear) is what throws fluid around inside the t-case to lubricate everything.

Regarding the plate, I guess it depends on who you talk to. When I asked shep about this 2 months ago, he told me he would fabricate a removable block off plate so that the tcase could be turned back to AWD if needed. Also my idea for making the plate to prevent leaks, was to buy a t-case center section that was junk, run it thru a ban saw to to take off about 1/4" worth of the flange and then weld the center of it up with plate, so this way I could bolt the whole thing on/off. I wont need to worry about the mating surfaces being true because the front mating surface is the factory center section, no reason it wouldnt seal right.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Killer
Not the same in the 4 cylinder cars. The V6 3g eclipse trannies use gears that are interchangeable with EVO gears, but not the 4 cylinder model.
Wow, thats interesting and unexpected. This info conflicts with the information I got. From the info I had, the transmissions on both the I4 and V6 was about the same. I was told that the only real difference was the bellhousing and they could be interchanged as long as you had the bellhousing for the motor. I know the gears on the inside are different ratios, but isn't it labeled as the same tranny? This was the info I found when I was looking into finding a way to use the 4g 6 speed with an I4 bellhousing. Would it be better to use the gears from evo and put it in the v6 tranny to keep it fwd or would that not help because you can't use the other parts you are worried about breaking after 400whp?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
Wow, thats interesting and unexpected. This info conflicts with the information I got. From the info I had, the transmissions on both the I4 and V6 was about the same. I was told that the only real difference was the bellhousing and they could be interchanged as long as you had the bellhousing for the motor. I know the gears on the inside are different ratios, but isn't it labeled as the same tranny? This was the info I found when I was looking into finding a way to use the 4g 6 speed with an I4 bellhousing. Would it be better to use the gears from evo and put it in the v6 tranny to keep it fwd or would that not help because you can't use the other parts you are worried about breaking after 400whp?
The V6 tranny isnt going to mate up with the 4 cylinder engine without some heavy custom fab work on the bell housing.The V6 3g trans is the W5M51 gearbox like the EVO but it has a different bell housing, different gear ratios and obviously a different diff since its FWD. Whats weird is the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder share the same diff but the gears/shafts are different. I dont see any benefit to running the EVO gears in the V6 tranny (if you did make it work) unless you were road racing. The taller final drive in the V6 tranny is great for high MPH for drag racing. The final drive in the V6 is 3.73
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

I guess when u get it done this will be useful info for fwd people. Id like to c pics then.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by downshift411
I guess when u get it done this will be useful info for fwd people. Id like to c pics then.
You didnt answer my question though, what are you talking about "locking up the T-case" do you have first hand knowledge of this or is it some hear say you heard from shep or someone else? I am interested to know how they can stop the center diff from biasing power to the rear wheels without welding it.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

The V6 tranny isnt going to mate up with the 4 cylinder engine without some heavy custom fab work on the bell housing.The V6 3g trans is the W5M51 gearbox like the EVO but it has a different bell housing, different gear ratios and obviously a different diff since its FWD. Whats weird is the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder share the same diff but the gears/shafts are different. I dont see any benefit to running the EVO gears in the V6 tranny (if you did make it work) unless you were road racing. The taller final drive in the V6 tranny is great for high MPH for drag racing. The final drive in the V6 is 3.73
So, my question is, why not see if a 4g6x bellhousing will bolt up the V6 transmission and use it instead of evo transmission. Or take everything you can out of evo transmission and put it in the v6 tranny?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
So, my question is, why not see if a 4g6x bellhousing will bolt up the V6 transmission and use it instead of evo transmission. Or take everything you can out of evo transmission and put it in the v6 tranny?
The only 4G63 bellhousings that will fit are the EVO and 4 cylinder eclipse models. If you were gonna try to fab it up, I think the 4 cylinder eclipse would be the best bet to try. The EVO one isnt going to work because the front axle on the passenger side goes into the Tcase, not the trans, so there is no way of getting the axle into the bell housing or a place to house the front diff for that matter.

The EVO internal parts arent really stronger per se. Like I said the input shaft, gears, hub/sliders and shift forks are all pretty much the same between V6 and EVO trannys. The output shaft even looks the same aside from the taller gear in the eclipse.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Update.

So I got my trans and t-case back from DogBox Racing today. I am very happy with the entire experience with the guys over at dogbox, everything was done on time as promised, for a fair price and they really took the time to answer all my questions and concerns and explain to me exactly what was done. I plan to install the trans tomorrow, still cant run the car yet because im waiting on my new Peakboost HVS manifold (ETA 2 weeks), once I get that, I can fab up a new midpipe and replace the muffler and hopefully get this thing on a dyno. I will post more info on the feel of the tranny once its all together and I can get a few hundred miles on it.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Update.

So I got my trans and t-case back from DogBox Racing today. I am very happy with the entire experience with the guys over at dogbox, everything was done on time as promised, for a fair price and they really took the time to answer all my questions and concerns and explain to me exactly what was done. I plan to install the trans tomorrow, still cant run the car yet because im waiting on my new Peakboost HVS manifold (ETA 2 weeks), once I get that, I can fab up a new midpipe and replace the muffler and hopefully get this thing on a dyno. I will post more info on the feel of the tranny once its all together and I can get a few hundred miles on it.
Sweet, I can't wait to see it.