Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)

Ok to start this off and to end the flaming. I DO NOT HAVE AN EVO.

I have a 99' galant which I am running a built 4G64 w/EVO VIII headswap, AEM EMS and all the goodies.

The tranny that was in my car is from a 2001 Eclipse GS FWD, it had a fresh stock build and quaife LSD, that setup handles around 400whp reliably. I am now pushing it up to around 600whp so I sold that tranny and here is the plan.

I want to stay FWD, I am aware I can fairly easily swap to AWD, that may come next winter when I have down time.

I bought an EVO8 tranny, axles, hubs, starter etc. I know physically the tranny fits in the car, the axle length and all that stuff is good. For the transfer case, I will be running just the front section of the transfer case with the diff carrier and a block off plate to cover the back of the transfer case (where the center section used to bolt up) and the pinion gear is removed. The ring gear will be left on the carrier to sling the gear oil around.

I have some upgrade parts too that im installing including the Pfitzner diff tube, WaveTrac front LSD and a 4.11 final drive setup.

Here are some of my questions. I dont have a good grasp on how the center diff on an EVO works. Will I have to weld the center at all in order to make the trans FWD only? If I dont weld the center diff, will I be somehow losing power that would elsewhere drive the rear wheels?

Please if you dont have any first hand knowledge of the internals of this tranny or relative experience to the questions at hand, dont respond. I am looking for the guru's for help with this, thats why it posted in the advanced area.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well it seems my questions have been answered. Props to Shep and Dogbox racing.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
qnz
Evolving Member

whats the answer?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

why not spend the extra time to make it awd? All it takes is patience and the right tools. You'll probably be glad you did it in the end.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Call John at TRE he has done many conversions, He is selling a used t-case already made for fwd opperation for 300.00
http://teamrip.com/garage.html
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Standing Z
why not spend the extra time to make it awd? All it takes is patience and the right tools. You'll probably be glad you did it in the end.
honestly, im sure at some point I will go awd, but no offense to you or anyone else I want to go fwd first

The reason being is I was told by everyone and their mother from the day I started this project that the car would never be fast, I should buy an eclipse, I should buy a GVR4, I should buy ****, I should buy that. Then once I was underway on the build everyone said it wont be fast because its fwd, it wont be fast because its a heavy 4 door, etc, etc.

My goal is to run 11's FWD. I just dont like giving up on something I want to accomplish. Especially not when im confident it can be done, my goals are not that unrealistic.

And I did speak to Jon at TRE, I actually bought that transfer case from him, its sitting in front of me as I type this to you.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I've always wanted to build a Galant. The 8G body is one of the best looking cars Mitsu ever made IMO.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Sounds like a fun project. I've always wanted to build a Galant. The 8G body is one of the best looking cars Mitsu ever made IMO.
Yes Sir, thats why I built this...

Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

I actually wan't to do one as a dd with an evo head swap. I have been thinking about it for a while. I already have the galant which I picked up for 900.00 with a broken t-belt.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xspsi4
I actually wan't to do one as a dd with an evo head swap. I have been thinking about it for a while. I already have the galant which I picked up for 900.00 with a broken t-belt.
Thats what this is. Its the galant 4G64 block built eagle/wiseco 9:1, supertech 1mm over valves, HKS 272's and AEM EMS. I should have some solid dyno numbers in a month of so, im waiting on my peakboost manifold....
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=VTEC Killer;6846135] Then once I was underway on the build everyone said it wont be fast because its fwd,
[QUOTE]

I hear ya man. Not saying I would not rather have an EVO or a RWD car but fwd can be fun also when set up right.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Last time I looked into this, people were saying the AWD Evo trans wouldn't fit. Were they just wrong, or is there some sort of modification you are doing to overcome this?

But, yeah, getting a AWD trans modified for FWD use should be no problem, as already mentioned. I have been debating wether or not to switch my GS-T over to using a Front-AWD trans because the internals are stronger to start with.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Last time I looked into this, people were saying the AWD Evo trans wouldn't fit. Were they just wrong, or is there some sort of modification you are doing to overcome this?

But, yeah, getting a AWD trans modified for FWD use should be no problem, as already mentioned. I have been debating wether or not to switch my GS-T over to using a Front-AWD trans because the internals are stronger to start with.
The ENTIRE transfer case doesnt fit because it hits our subframe/firewall. To run FWD you only need the front part of the T-case that houses the diff, thats it, so you disconnect the center and tail section and remove the pinion shaft, then you make a plate to cover the back side front section.

The tranny itself isnt really "larger" than the fwd tranny, the only difference is the flanged area where the T-case bolts to the bell housing, maybe it stick back like another 1/2" or so, not a big deal.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VTEC Killer
The ENTIRE transfer case doesnt fit because it hits our subframe/firewall.
Hmm, that would make a future AWD conversion nigh impossible then without heavy fabrication. I would have thought the drivetrain in a 6A13TT JDM G-VR4 would be bigger and thus fitting a smaller 4cyl/trans combo in the car would be no problem. JDM Galants must be totally different in that regard.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 27, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, that would make a future AWD conversion nigh impossible then without heavy fabrication. I would have thought the drivetrain in a 6A13TT JDM G-VR4 would be bigger and thus fitting a smaller 4cyl/trans combo in the car would be no problem. JDM Galants must be totally different in that regard.
the subframe in a JDM car is different, the subframe and front suspension in JDM 8g galant looks more like a 2g DSM but still unique in its own right. Believe it or not the AWD conversion shouldnt be that difficult. A few guys over on club3g (eclipse) have done it already with minor modification to the lower firewall and notching out the main crossmember then reinforcing it. The 2g DSM AWD rear suspension and gas tank bolts into 8g galant and 3g eclipse with just the additional of longer mounting studs. There are even templates stamped under the rear seat to cut out for access to the AWD gas tank sending units and inspection covers. I may embark on the AWD swap next year but spring is here and this season I just want to drive my car and do a few track days.

I jus went to DogBoxRacing today and dropped off my tranny, transfer case, Wavetrac LSD, pfitzner diff tube and 4.11 final drive gear. Im just gonna have a fresh rebuild and have the gears micronited. I CANT WAIT to put this setup in the car.

Last edited by VTEC Killer; Mar 27, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)