Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo hesitation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo hesitation

Hey man, quick question....
My buddies evo 8 @ WOT hesitates for a split second and he thinks it maybe shaft play.. Could that be a cause??
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Not likely. Boost leak, Backward DV, Intake Snorkle clips if stock.

Car needs a tune is another possibility not sure on the mod list. These things are *** rich from the factory
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Not likely. Boost leak, Backward DV, Intake Snorkle clips if stock.

Car needs a tune is another possibility not sure on the mod list. These things are *** rich from the factory
Mods, TBE, AEM Short ram intake, Walbro Fuel Pump.

Ya he says it still shows the running right a/f ratio. I guess he described it like this

"your driving, ur in WOT, u getting sucked back in ur seat and bam for a split second it feels like u have no power and then u do"
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugs. Really it could be a number of things.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

factory boost cut...feels like you hit a brick wall for a split second.....
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Curt@MrLed
Plugs. Really it could be a number of things.
That's what I am thinking. Change the plugs, re-gap them, see if that helps.

If the car actually sputters, it's the plugs, if it's like hitting a brick wall, it's fuel cut.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

If its the plugs it will sputter, but also it should make a larger "bang" type noise, like a backfire, right? In my experience, this is what happened.

Another possibility if that the Walbro is trying to pump too much fuel and you're getting a rich spot somewhere.

Like Curt said, could be a number of things and is really hard to diagnose without the car present lol.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

well he's set on thinking its the turbo... what happens if the turbo is starting to go?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it could just be excessive knock, and a lot of timing being pulled happened to me. 20 counts of knock at WOT!

care felt stronger when it is at partial throttle.

if you wanna be sure just remove the Intake pipe and have a feel of the shaft, also make sure no teeth are broken or damaged.

i think everyone else in the post answered everything for ya.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
You need to be more specific with the hesitation, otherwise you'll get 10 different answers as to what it'd be (like you are getting now).

I recently went through a slight hesitation with my car for the past few months. Only did it at WOT and around full boost. It cut out for a SPLIT second, no power loss that you could feel (unlike boost cut for example where it feels like you hit a wall). It was annoying as hell though.

I checked the gaps of the plugs. Changed them to new ones and checked and re-checked the gaps multiple times...Didn't help.

swapped bov's... from the stock IX back to the stock VIII. Didn't help and I lost spool time it seems going back to the stock BOV...

Nothing helped. Then I realized I never changed my wires at 60,000 miles. Swapped in new OEM wires and also put some T-bolt clamps on the intercooler pipes and problem solved! Ask him if he's hit 60K and changed his wires if this sounds similiar to my situation...

Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm sounds very similar!! when u say wires, u mean coil pack right? Ya he has 7x,xxx miles on his car, way over 60,000 miles and im almost positive they havent been changed!

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
You need to be more specific with the hesitation, otherwise you'll get 10 different answers as to what it'd be (like you are getting now).

I recently went through a slight hesitation with my car for the past few months. Only did it at WOT and around full boost. It cut out for a SPLIT second, no power loss that you could feel (unlike boost cut for example where it feels like you hit a wall). It was annoying as hell though.

I checked the gaps of the plugs. Changed them to new ones and checked and re-checked the gaps multiple times...Didn't help.

swapped bov's... from the stock IX back to the stock VIII. Didn't help and I lost spool time it seems going back to the stock BOV...

Nothing helped. Then I realized I never changed my wires at 60,000 miles. Swapped in new OEM wires and also put some T-bolt clamps on the intercooler pipes and problem solved! Ask him if he's hit 60K and changed his wires if this sounds similiar to my situation...

Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:49 AM

possibly a boost leak/vta bov? I have problems with bucking/hesittion at part throttle wit a vta bov that will soon be replaced...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
hmmmmm sounds very similar!! when u say wires, u mean coil pack right? Ya he has 7x,xxx miles on his car, way over 60,000 miles and im almost positive they havent been changed!
No, there are two coil packs directly on two of the cylinders. I'm talking about the two plug wires that come off of the coil packs that go into the other two cylinders. That is all what I replaced is the plug wires only, not the coil packs.

PM maperformance, just say you want to buy a set of plug wires. They'll know what you need...

They gave me a great price shipped! Excellent vender, and they'll meet or beat anyones prices!