Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

looking for oppinions on a couple clutches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for oppinions on a couple clutches

Well, here's the story. Basically I knew my clutch was not going to last much longer, and I decided to use the launch control the other night. Stupid idea on my part, and now if I hit more than 5-7 pounds of boost, the clutch stinks. So anyways, I need a new clutch a.s.a.p. I'll try to do my best and give you guys answers to all the usual questions when people post these threads. The car made 330awhp, 317ft/lbs when it was dynoed. The car will probably see a little more power added this year, but nothing crazy(staying on the stock turbo for a while). I daily drive the car all year round every day. It will probably see a couple trips to the drag strip during the summer, but other than that it's just normal driving, and a little fun on the weekends maybe. I already decided no ACT HDSS, because I am afraid of the lockout issues. I also have no interest in the Exedy twin or anything equivalent right now. I just am not in the position to do a $2000 clutch job right now. I have been kind of looking at the Exedy stage 2, or the Fidanza 3.2. I'm specifically wanting to hear from anyone who has either of those and DD's the car, or anyone who has similar power to me and has one of these clutches. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a clutch job and hate the thing as soon as I get in my car. I am looking to stay around $600 for the clutch(Not including install or anything obviously, I'm not crazy). If anyone has any personal experience with any other clutches that fit my criteria, feel free to let me know. Keep all the "just save up and get a twin disc" comments to yourself please. I want to place an order for whatever I'm buying tomorrow by the way. So hopefully someone can help me out quickly.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

anybody?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would recommend the ACT HDSS cause i had it on my old evo for 60k and never had a problem out of it. If anything contact maperformance and ask them about the new competition clutches they just released. Their priced around $400 and they seem to work very well for their rated power level. I'm even going to put one in my sti.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

If I were you I'd spend the money and do it right the first time so you dont regredit it later.
QuarterMaster Twin disk is what I recommend if you wanna mod your car more serious in the future
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR
If I were you I'd spend the money and do it right the first time so you dont regredit it later.
QuarterMaster Twin disk is what I recommend if you wanna mod your car more serious in the future
How do you rectify the fact that they seem to only last about 15-20K miles before rebuild? The OP has already mentioned that money is tight.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

i have a act xtreme and love it...it holds power really good..... and i have no lock out issues at any rpm...
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Like I originally said, a twin disc setup isn't happening right now. I've read all about how fantastic they are, but $2000 for a clutch job just isn't going to be something I can do right now. I don't plan on going crazy with the car anyways.

Does anyone know more about hose Competition Clutches? Someone pm'ed me suggesting them as well. I'm a little nervous about them being so cheap for no apparent reason, unless someone can give me some personal experience with them.

As for the ACT stuff, I know most people don't have the lockout issues, but the fact that it is something to legitimately worry about, is something I don't want to deal with. I've got the money to do the clutch job, but I don't want to get something put in and have it not work right, or just be garbage in general.

Thanks for any input so far. Does anyone have experience with the two that I mentioned though?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

I had the Fidanza 3.2 in my wife's VIII for about 25k until we sold the car. After the break in period it was smooth to drive for both of us everyday. She did drag it one weekend a month and had standard bolt on mods and overall a pretty aggressive driver... sounds like it should work out great for you.

We got the clutch from here: http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/clutch/fid_clutch.htm
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with a ACT. Best entry level clutch for the car.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKLIST
I had the Fidanza 3.2 in my wife's VIII for about 25k until we sold the car. After the break in period it was smooth to drive for both of us everyday. She did drag it one weekend a month and had standard bolt on mods and overall a pretty aggressive driver... sounds like it should work out great for you.

We got the clutch from here: http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/clutch/fid_clutch.htm
ive been reading about that clutch alot. I think i may give it a try.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

haha, well this has made my decision no more easy than it was before. I have one person for the Fidanza, and one for the Exedy saying they are great and that I'll love it. About 2 more hours and I'll be heading over to the shop to buy whichever clutch I decide on.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

For that price go with the ACT clutch...
I had a cusco twin for 70k miles...
My ACT HDSS wearing a lot faster feeling some slip at 10k miles...
Get your clutch installed at a real shop. I got both clutches installed at Turbotrix.
They do 1000's...Never an issue with my trans.

You have TRE up there don't you?

I have firsthand experience with lockout on the exedy stage 2 on my buddys black 8...

I suggest going to a puck clutch disc. It'll probably last longer. That's if you don't mind the slightly harsher, but quicker engagement.

Both my clutches had about 400whp400ftlb of torque applied to them. 400ftlbs at 5000rpms.

Last edited by Bom's Evo; Mar 19, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
For that price go with the ACT clutch...
I had a cusco twin for 70k miles...
My ACT HDSS wearing a lot faster feeling some slip at 10k miles...
Get your clutch installed at a real shop. I got both clutches installed at Turbotrix.
They do 1000's...Never an issue with my trans.

You have TRE up there don't you?

I have firsthand experience with lockout on the exedy stage 2 on my buddys black 8...

I suggest going to a puck clutch disc. It'll probably last longer. That's if you don't mind the slightly harsher, but quicker engagement.

Both my clutches had about 400whp400ftlb of torque applied to them. 400ftlbs at 5000rpms.

I do daily drive the car. I don't mind a little harsher engagement, but I'm not looking for something that's going to annoy me if I'm in the car longer than a half hour. My only real experience with driving a puck type clutch, is on my buddy's STI, and it was not pleasant if I drove it very far. As far as ACT, I've just heard too many bad things for me to feel comfortable buying one from them. The ACT slipping at just 10k miles doesn't sound a very good endorsement for them either. We do have TRE here, but they are on the other side of the state. It would be a good 2-3 hour drive one way to get there. We have a respected local shop that works on mostly AWD cars (Subies/Evos/DSMs, etc.), so I trust they'll do fine with the install.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Look at Competition clutches. I have a prototype Stage 3 and flywheel and its a great street setup; I'm making almost 400whp and its holding fine. I believe MAP is actually doing a group-buy for the Stage 4 right now at $355 shipped which is insane pricing IMO.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:18 PM

i'm in the same boat, looking for a reasonably priced clutch that can handle some power, last and not be a pain to drive. fidanza 3.2, competition clutch....?

Quick Reply: looking for oppinions on a couple clutches