Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pics of MR 4th gear failure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pics of MR 4th gear failure

So I got the trans apart today to inspect.. So far it looks like there was no damage other then the 4th gear input shaft and main shaft for the 4th gear.. Everything else looks to be in very good shape with close to zero marring or nicking on any other gears, they almost look brand new..

So judging by the pictures, and lack of any type of discoloration to the gears themselves, I am leaning towards the failure being touque related, but I would like to hear some opinions on this as well..

I am definitely going to be swapping over to a 5 speed but I am also going to rebuild this trans with new gears 4-6 cryo treated and shot peened since it seems like an excellent candidate for a rebuild. The synchro's worked flawlessly before this failure and it has about 40k on it.. Luckily I did not attempt to engage 4th gear after the failure and had the car towed immediately, the related synchros do not visibly show any signs of damage and seem to move smoothly as they should..

Well here are the pics.. BTW I would guess the car to be making about 475+ tq. on a dynojet at the wheels on a stock turbo at high boost..

BTW the gear on the main shaft took more of a beathing the the actual 4th gear on the input side.. Seems like a snowball effect to me.. Any experts wanna chime in on this? Last time I had a trans apart for a rebuild was close to 8 years ago on a DSM lol

FWIW: this failure happened after just cruising on the highway on the way home from the track, I slowed down, was in 4th cruising for a min or so, gave it some gas and it just let go..Certainly not sustained high rpm or anything like that.

Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as carnage filled as I expected. Considering the tq your making.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Atcually now that I am looking 4th and 5th does appear to have some discoloration lol..But the pics are not the best..I will have to double check this tommorow
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06evors
Not as carnage filled as I expected. Considering the tq your making.
I was surprised as well..Would you have ever guessed this car had about 300 passes down the 1/4 mile in the mid 11-low 12 second range
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome, at least you can rebuild it.The 6MT isn't as weak as some claim it to be. Which 5MT are you going with?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Petey,

Is going to be almost 5 years since I meet you over the internet freshly after we purchased our new Evo 8 MRs back in 04. I am curious to know what is the mileage of your car.

Back in the day you, me and Warratalon use to bench race to see who had the fastest MRs, for a few weeks and months it was You, me , Warratalon and Scott from TTp. I am surprised that your 4th gear lasted that long. I don't think the 6 speed was any weak, we just tend to stress them a whole lot with the launches and with the power increases.
Are you still on evolutionmr.net?

Carlos
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06evors
Awesome, at least you can rebuild it.The 6MT isn't as weak as some claim it to be. Which 5MT are you going with?
Most likely the 05 evo 8 5 speed for it's longer 4th gear..I was already trapping 120mph shifting to 5th on the 6 speed so I'd probably have to do the same on an IX trans..

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Hey Petey,

Is going to be almost 5 years since I meet you over the internet freshly after we purchased our new Evo 8 MRs back in 04. I am curious to know what is the mileage of your car.

Back in the day you, me and Warratalon use to bench race to see who had the fastest MRs, for a few weeks and months it was You, me , Warratalon and Scott from TTp. I am surprised that your 4th gear lasted that long. I don't think the 6 speed was any weak, we just tend to stress them a whole lot with the launches and with the power increases.
Are you still on evolutionmr.net?

Carlos
Of course I remember those days, and Yes it lasted a long time and I never stopped going to the track since I bought it..The first 3 gears are FAR from weak on the 6 speed.. I am willing to bet that over time the 4th gear just got brittle and let go one me..

I thought evolutionmr was no longer?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

im disapointed in the carnage, especially considering the battle it was the get that damn thing out. now find a 5spd so you can get it out of Adams way already
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always loved my MR bc of the tranny. 475+ tq? You just made my day.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:22 PM

Time for a rebuild
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:28 PM
Account Disabled

looks just like my 4th gear failure although you ripped more teeth off then I did.

Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting...so i have an 06 MR and i've noticed my 4th gear has been acting up a little bit on really hard shifts...My tranny now has right about 39k miles on it...it had royal purple gear oil in it since 22k miles till about 37k miles when i changed the tranny, transfer case & rear diff with Amsoil products...I drive my car pretty hard...lots of autox events, only about 30 trips down the 1/4 but lots of hard street driving, launching, ripping turns, etc...I consider myself a pretty decent driver and I've only missed a gear 3 or 4 times in close to 40k miles...I have never had any problem with the gears grinding or being hard to get into till i changed all the fluids to Amsoil...I haven't changed my driving habits at all, but i have noticed now that when shifting hard my 4th gear seems to randomly grind and it never has before....any suggestions??? I don't have the time or $$ to be swapping to a 5 speed tranny ANYTIME soon....
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
looks just like my 4th gear failure although you ripped more teeth off then I did.
They do look quite similar, but since I broke more teeth my car is faster!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a synchro issue..Try adjusting your clutch and running proper 75W85.. Key word is 85!! Throw in some castrol syntorq and see if that helps..I would think that the abuse my 6 speed has went though would be equivelant to 100k miles lol..But my trans always shifted PERFECT, syncro felt as good as it did the day it left the lot if not better, and it never made any gear noise like the 5 speeds do..I think my car has about 40k on the clock.
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Interesting...so i have an 06 MR and i've noticed my 4th gear has been acting up a little bit on really hard shifts...My tranny now has right about 39k miles on it...it had royal purple gear oil in it since 22k miles till about 37k miles when i changed the tranny, transfer case & rear diff with Amsoil products...I drive my car pretty hard...lots of autox events, only about 30 trips down the 1/4 but lots of hard street driving, launching, ripping turns, etc...I consider myself a pretty decent driver and I've only missed a gear 3 or 4 times in close to 40k miles...I have never had any problem with the gears grinding or being hard to get into till i changed all the fluids to Amsoil...I haven't changed my driving habits at all, but i have noticed now that when shifting hard my 4th gear seems to randomly grind and it never has before....any suggestions??? I don't have the time or $$ to be swapping to a 5 speed tranny ANYTIME soon....
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
They do look quite similar, but since I broke more teeth my car is faster!
haha, I had much less torque then you did at the time of my failure. Almost 3 years ago now.

Here I am killing it:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...6/dead_tranny/

Funny thing was I was in denial at first, I thought I broke something suspension related as you can see me test that out in the vid before realizing what happend

and the lap right before:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...e_doesnt_lift/

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Mar 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Pics of MR 4th gear failure